Battery Change | FerrariChat

Battery Change

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by fc_11, Apr 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fc_11

fc_11 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    NY
    Swapping the battery out in my 575 tonight. I've heard stories about the delicate electronics and computers needing time to reset after reconnecting the power - is any of this true? Anyone have a 'procedure' list or is it as simple as throwing the kill switch, swapping battery, turn the kill switch back on, start car?

Thanks in advance.

2. mswiek

mswiek Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Just did this on my 550. Threw the kill switch. Disconnected the battery and swapped in the new one. Reconnected, and turned the kill switch back on. Started car and let idle for about 10 minutes or more so the computers could "relearn." All is fine.

Mike

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #3 tazandjan, Apr 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    fc- See if this helps after you reconnect. This should be done every time the battery is disconnected to let the ECUs relearn and zero out extraneous codes.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. 550JAB

550JAB Karting

May 10, 2007
    London
    Is there a similar procedure for a 550?

I regularly turn off the switch when leaving the car for several days and usually just let it idle for 10 minutes after reconnection.

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    JAB- Not that I have seen. My 550 tech data is limited to owner's and workshop manuals, plus a parts catalog courtesy of Ricambi. I have very few 550 tech bulletins.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

6. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #6 308 GTB, Apr 23, 2009
    The 550 WSM only mentions the idling speed adjuster reset procedure following battery reconnection. This is where the "10 Minute Rule" comes from, I suspect.

7. fc_11

fc_11 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    NY
    thanks for the bulletin taz - i sort of followed the procedure and everything appears fine.

bigger question is - who's the joker in italy that designed the battery placement. i fiddled around for 30 minutes trying to get the old one out before going about removing the bolts on the coolant reservoir (note fender cover had to come off too) and moving it. even then it was quite the PITA getting the old one out and new one in.

i now realized the silence of the resident mechanics around here probably involved some chuckles and the thinking "this guy doesn't know what he's in for."

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    fc- Some guy named Ferrari, not Enzo, but Piero, I guess. First time I looked in my engine compartment with a Corvette mechanic friend of mine, he said "Have to move that reservoir to get that out." Pros think that way, us amateurs want to move as little as possible because it is just one more thing we can get wrong.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

9. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The latest MTP-6 comes without a carrying handle :(

You have to move the reservoir, but that's all. Its not necessary to drain it, just leave the hoses connected and move it out of the way.

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You must be kidding. That is one of the easier batteries to replace. On the Benz you have to take the interior apart. On a 348 or 355 you jack up the car remove a wheel and the inner fender panel. Now you can see it. A Citroen SM requires removal of the right front fender. I am really sorry if you think 3 6mm nuts is a bump in the road. Have a good look at the car, a really good look and package it better. They did a damn good job. its easier to work on than my Ford.

11. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John

I agree.I just put in an Optima in my 550. After I got the job done, someone suggested that the Optima is a poor application for the 550. It is tall and had very little room up top, and I had to install a longer bolt in the bottom holdown, but a fairly straightforward swap.

I turn off the batter switch to the remaining electronics after every drive....to preserve battery charge. I seem to have enough stray voltage requirements that I will find a flat battery in 14 days if I have not driven it in that period. Any reason to have concerns with what I have posted here? Well, other than I can go 14 days with out driving her.

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- Proves my point perfectly.

Axecent- On my 575M with an Interstate, the car can be left three weeks with everything connected and there is no difference in starting it compared to startign after one day. Do not do that as a matter of course, but forgot it once before a fishing trip. You should probably get a battery tender.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

13. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #13 308 GTB, Apr 24, 2009
    The Schumacher SE-1-12S Battery Charger and Maintainer can be mounted conveniently in front of the coolant reservoir. (In this case, both the reservoir and charger have to be tilted out of the way to change the battery :) )

Barry

14. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #14 ferraridriver, Apr 24, 2009
    Alterternatively you can just attach the pigtail connector to the shield, you have to plug something in anyway, it might as well be the lead from the Battery Tender instead of an extension cord.

15. pedyo

pedyo Rookie

Sep 18, 2009
    Hi, quick one - how do you get the battery out? seems quite snug in there..

thanks