Keyfobs - TAZ has the secret code ;) | FerrariChat

Keyfobs - TAZ has the secret code ;)

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Jagbuff, Jun 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    I want to post a message of thanks to TAZ for his help in rectifying my keyfobs situation.

When I purchased the car it only came with one black fob and the code. I tried a couple of times to reprogram the alarm with a red fob that I purchased, but without success. Anyway, I was a nervous Nelly whenever the keys were misplaced as it would mean a very expensive trip to the dealer.

TAZ offered me the option to provide a whole set (1 red 2 black) and reprogram the alarm. It was super straightforward thanks to the detailed instructions and took less time than this write up. How he was able to program the fobs is a mystery to me, but as long as it works I am thrilled!

Thanks again TAZ for the help and being such a great contributor to the list and community.
    FRG

2. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    #2 pchop, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
    I never met the guy and I already wanna buy him drinks if he's ever in LA or I'm in NM. Certainly a great asset to the board.

Btw, has anyone ever bought the Red Ferrari key that's like the 430/Enzo and made it to work with the 550? I remember seen a thread but can't find it on here.

3. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    +1

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #4 tazandjan, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
    Enzo blanks work on 456s, 550s and 575Ms. They are expensive with original blanks, but there are some close fakes out there. Search "Enzo Key" in the 360/430 forum. The 430, 612, and 599 keys are a newer generation with the key performing all the functions and a lithium ion battery instead of the 12V alkalines we use.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

Franck- If you still have that red fob, I will buy it from you. I need a couple.

5. Jan456

Jan456 Karting

Oct 1, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jan Scholte
    +1

Agree, it have to be said
    Great support from Taz, we rely on your expertise on all of these technical questions. Your feedback is without exception super!

regards, Jan

6. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    Anyway to integrate the 550 alarm fob into the 430 key fobs?

7. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    No worries TAZ, I'll send you the one I have - thx again for your help.
    Franck

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #8 tazandjan, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
    John- Not as far as I know. Completely different systems.

Franck- Many thanks and someone else will get a good deal on a set of three fobs with new PIN.

See this post. Duane has a set of nearly new PZero Rossos for sale. He might be willing to split them and then you would have all new tires. The rears are way more expensive than the fronts, at any rate.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286933

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?frontWidth=255%2F&frontRatio=40&frontDiameter=18&rearWidth=295%2F&rearRatio=35&rearDiameter=18&manufacturer=Pirelli&camefrom=nocar&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&x=17&y=11

Taz
    Terry Phillips

9. lindseyp

lindseyp Karting

Nov 19, 2008
    Tokyo
    #9 lindseyp, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
    Interesting... All I have for my 456 are 1 red, 1 black fobs and 1 key.

Thing is... the red fob has dodgy electrics and sometimes doesn't work properly, AND I don't know my car's PIN# (didn't know I needed one until it was too late to ask the dealer)

So:

1 - Is there a way to reset my PIN with the current red fob (assuming it works)

2 - If my red fob gives up the ghost... is there a source for a replacement and can I reset the PIN with that?

3 - How do I get hold of an enzo key (even replica) and program it so it works as fob & key? That would be awesome.

Thanks for your help as always!

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #10 tazandjan, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    1) No, but Ferrari Maranello still has your original PIN and you can get it from them.
    2) Yes on replacement fobs, no on resetting the PIN.
    3) You can get an Enzo key that will work in your ignition, but not act as a remote.

Change the battery in your red fob and pinch the contacts together before inserting the new battery. See if this helps. Except during programming of the Alarm ECU, there is no difference between a red and black fob. The PIN in the red fob is only used during programming.

Read this and see if you have any further questions.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. lindseyp

lindseyp Karting

Nov 19, 2008
    Tokyo
    That's some great info. Thanks a lot! I'll try fiddling with the battery contacts and get in touch with ferrari about the PIN.

12. dwrom

dwrom Rookie

Feb 15, 2010
    Northern Va
    Full Name:
    David R.
    Taz,
    I bought a 2000 550 that was supposed to come with the code and 2 key/fobs. Dispite a battle, I have one key/fob and no code. How can I get a set of key/fobs and a new code?

David

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #13 tazandjan, Jun 14, 2010
    David- Keys are no problem. Blanks are $2-12, but the OEM ones with the cute little Cavallino are no longer available or prohibitively expensive. Any competent key shop can cut a new one from your existing key and Ricambi has the $12 blanks.

You need to get the original PIN from Ferrari. Once you have that, you can get a new set of fobs with a new PIN from Ferrari. Cost of new fobs and PIN was ~$550 last time I checked, and your Alarm ECU needs to be programmed to accept them. Without the original PIN, new fobs and a new PIN are worthless.

Did you get your car from an FNA dealer or an independent? If not from an FNA dealer, you have no leverage. Search for the PIN in the Owner's Manual, Alarm Manual, and in the Warranty Book. If you cannot get your original PIN, you can have your fob cloned one or multiple times and have as many have back-ups as you like.

Read the following so you understand what came with the car and your options.

If they promised you two keys and two fobs with the car, you have a breach of promise. Again, unless you got it in writing, it is your word against theirs, and you have no leverage. My car came from an FNA dealer and they gave me the three fobs and PIN after the sale, but I had the original PIN.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

14. dwrom

dwrom Rookie

Feb 15, 2010
    Northern Va
    Full Name:
    David R.
    Thanks Terry. I will try to get the PIN.
    David

15. Zedtt

Zedtt Formula Junior

May 29, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Terry
    My 2000 550 came with only the Red Key Fob, both keys and the PIN. Where do I find black key fobs and are they programmed using the existing PIN?

Thanks.

Terry

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #16 tazandjan, Oct 27, 2010
    Terry- Read this and it will answer your questions. You cannot buy black fobs and use them with your existing PIN and red fob. You have options and they are covered in this document. Also search "clone" in tech Q&A for more discussion.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

17. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I have a red and black fob that I don't have PINs for. Do they have any value or are they completely unusable?

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ryan- They usually bring about $100 each to use as clones. Maybe a bit more for the red, although there is no difference except the colot of the plastic.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

19. DJW

DJW Karting

Oct 19, 2001
    NJ
    TAZ, or anyone else, do the euro cars also have one red and 2 black fobs?
    I have 2 black fobs, no red. The key ring has a small rectangular metal plate with 4 digit number. Am I at risk, do I need a red fob?

20. maranello72

maranello72 Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2009
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    Yes, same thing with Euro cars!
    You're not at risk as long as you have at least one working fob. The best thing would be to read its content with an EEPROM programmer and store it in a file. If ever both fobs die, you can always find someone to write the file back to another fob.

Stefano

21. DJW

DJW Karting

Oct 19, 2001
    NJ
    Great idea!
    thank you

22. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Ferrari key blanks show up on ebay all the time. I got an Enzo-style copy for around $150. Authentic silver cavallino maranello keys are around $300 and official Ferrari Enzo style keys are being offered today for $600.

23. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    #23 483hp, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
    I have a car with a single black fob. I have the original PIN and I have verified that it works.

The car also came with a set of new fobs (2 black and 1 red). I don't know where they came from. They were just included with the car. There doesn't appear to be a separate PIN card for this set.

I would like to reprogram the ECU to accept the new fob set. However, before I do that I have couple of questions.

1. How do I verify that the two black fobs are part same set as the red one? There is a sticker on the back of them. The black ones say 148-V1 and the red one says 156-V1. I'm not sure what this means but I assume that the same characters would mean that they are part of the same set. I would hate to reprogram the ECU with the red fob only to find out that the black fobs were mixed up from a different set and therefore don't work. Perhaps someone that knows for sure can chime in.
    2. A PIN did not come with the new set. Does the PIN change with the new red fob or is it different? If it is different, how do I obtain the PIN for this new set?

24. maranello72

maranello72 Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2009
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    Once you've reprogrammed the ECU for the new red fob, you can reprogram it to accept new black fobs. Or you can clone the red fob onto the blacks! So you have three reds!

Stefano

25. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    The red has a new pin and if you don't have it, I wouldn't program the ECU to accept that fob because you will end up not knowing the PIN for your car and no way to recover it. Bad situation.

I don't think you can validate that the red & black fobs are a set so it is just a risk. In your case I would either have the black cloned or purchase a new set (including pin) and program that set to the car.