Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 456/550/575 - Sponsored by Bradan

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: frenchie
Keyfobs - TAZ has the secret code ;)

I want to post a message of thanks to TAZ for his help in rectifying my keyfobs situation.

When I purchased the car it only came with one black fob and the code. I tried a couple of times to reprogram the alarm with a red fob that I purchased, but without success. Anyway, I was a nervous Nelly whenever the keys were misplaced as it would mean a very expensive trip to the dealer.

TAZ offered me the option to provide a whole set (1 red 2 black) and reprogram the alarm. It was super straightforward thanks to the detailed instructions and took less time than this write up. How he was able to program the fobs is a mystery to me, but as long as it works I am thrilled!

Thanks again TAZ for the help and being such a great contributor to the list and community.
FRG
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 06-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagbuff View Post
I want to post a message of thanks to TAZ for his help in rectifying my keyfobs situation.

When I purchased the car it only came with one black fob and the code. I tried a couple of times to reprogram the alarm with a red fob that I purchased, but without success. Anyway, I was a nervous Nelly whenever the keys were misplaced as it would mean a very expensive trip to the dealer.

TAZ offered me the option to provide a whole set (1 red 2 black) and reprogram the alarm. It was super straightforward thanks to the detailed instructions and took less time than this write up. How he was able to program the fobs is a mystery to me, but as long as it works I am thrilled!

Thanks again TAZ for the help and being such a great contributor to the list and community.
FRG
I never met the guy and I already wanna buy him drinks if he's ever in LA or I'm in NM. Certainly a great asset to the board.

Btw, has anyone ever bought the Red Ferrari key that's like the 430/Enzo and made it to work with the 550? I remember seen a thread but can't find it on here.

Last edited by pchop; 06-08-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchop View Post
I never met the guy and I already wanna buy him drinks if he's ever in LA or I'm in NM. Certainly a great asset to the board.

Btw, has anyone ever bought the Red Ferrari key that's like the 430/Enzo and made it to work with the 550? I remember seen a thread but can't find it on here.
+1
Old 06-08-2010, 08:27 PM
F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: Terry H Phillips
Enzo blanks work on 456s, 550s and 575Ms. They are expensive with original blanks, but there are some close fakes out there. Search "Enzo Key" in the 360/430 forum. The 430, 612, and 599 keys are a newer generation with the key performing all the functions and a lithium ion battery instead of the 12V alkalines we use.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Franck- If you still have that red fob, I will buy it from you. I need a couple.

Last edited by tazandjan; 06-08-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:11 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Jan Scholte
+1

Agree, it have to be said
Great support from Taz, we rely on your expertise on all of these technical questions. Your feedback is without exception super!

regards, Jan
Old 06-09-2010, 03:36 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: John
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Enzo blanks work on 456s, 550s and 575Ms. They are expensive with original blanks, but there are some close fakes out there. Search "Enzo Key" in the 360/430 forum. The 430, 612, and 599 keys are a newer generation with the key performing all the functions and a lithium ion battery instead of the 12V alkalines we use.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Franck- If you still have that red fob, I will buy it from you. I need a couple.
Anyway to integrate the 550 alarm fob into the 430 key fobs?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: frenchie
Quote:

No worries TAZ, I'll send you the one I have - thx again for your help.
Franck
Old 06-09-2010, 11:42 AM
F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

John- Not as far as I know. Completely different systems.

Franck- Many thanks and someone else will get a good deal on a set of three fobs with new PIN.

See this post. Duane has a set of nearly new PZero Rossos for sale. He might be willing to split them and then you would have all new tires. The rears are way more expensive than the fronts, at any rate.

What's a set of 95% tread p-zeros worth?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...rk=1&x=17&y=11

Taz
Terry Phillips

Last edited by tazandjan; 06-09-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 06-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed

Interesting... All I have for my 456 are 1 red, 1 black fobs and 1 key.

Thing is... the red fob has dodgy electrics and sometimes doesn't work properly, AND I don't know my car's PIN# (didn't know I needed one until it was too late to ask the dealer)

So:

1 - Is there a way to reset my PIN with the current red fob (assuming it works)

2 - If my red fob gives up the ghost... is there a source for a replacement and can I reset the PIN with that?

3 - How do I get hold of an enzo key (even replica) and program it so it works as fob & key? That would be awesome.

Thanks for your help as always!

Last edited by lindseyp; 06-09-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:32 PM
F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

1) No, but Ferrari Maranello still has your original PIN and you can get it from them.
2) Yes on replacement fobs, no on resetting the PIN.
3) You can get an Enzo key that will work in your ignition, but not act as a remote.

Change the battery in your red fob and pinch the contacts together before inserting the new battery. See if this helps. Except during programming of the Alarm ECU, there is no difference between a red and black fob. The PIN in the red fob is only used during programming.

Read this and see if you have any further questions.

Taz
Terry Phillips
Attached Files
File Type: doc Programming Alarm ECUs with New Fobs.doc (2.04 MB, 93 views)
Old 06-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed

That's some great info. Thanks a lot! I'll try fiddling with the battery contacts and get in touch with ferrari about the PIN.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Full Name: David R.
Quote:
John- Not as far as I know. Completely different systems.

Franck- Many thanks and someone else will get a good deal on a set of three fobs with new PIN.

See this post. Duane has a set of nearly new PZero Rossos for sale. He might be willing to split them and then you would have all new tires. The rears are way more expensive than the fronts, at any rate.

What's a set of 95% tread p-zeros worth?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...rk=1&x=17&y=11

Taz
Terry Phillips
Taz,
I bought a 2000 550 that was supposed to come with the code and 2 key/fobs. Dispite a battle, I have one key/fob and no code. How can I get a set of key/fobs and a new code?

David
Old 06-14-2010, 07:06 PM
F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

David- Keys are no problem. Blanks are $2-12, but the OEM ones with the cute little Cavallino are no longer available or prohibitively expensive. Any competent key shop can cut a new one from your existing key and Ricambi has the $12 blanks.

You need to get the original PIN from Ferrari. Once you have that, you can get a new set of fobs with a new PIN from Ferrari. Cost of new fobs and PIN was ~$550 last time I checked, and your Alarm ECU needs to be programmed to accept them. Without the original PIN, new fobs and a new PIN are worthless.

Did you get your car from an FNA dealer or an independent? If not from an FNA dealer, you have no leverage. Search for the PIN in the Owner's Manual, Alarm Manual, and in the Warranty Book. If you cannot get your original PIN, you can have your fob cloned one or multiple times and have as many have back-ups as you like.

Read the following so you understand what came with the car and your options.

If they promised you two keys and two fobs with the car, you have a breach of promise. Again, unless you got it in writing, it is your word against theirs, and you have no leverage. My car came from an FNA dealer and they gave me the three fobs and PIN after the sale, but I had the original PIN.

Taz
Terry Phillips
Attached Files
File Type: doc Programming Alarm ECUs with New Fobs.doc (2.04 MB, 36 views)

Last edited by tazandjan; 06-14-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Full Name: David R.
Quote:
David- Keys are no problem. Blanks are $2-12, but the OEM ones with the cute little Cavallino are no longer available or prohibitively expensive. Any competent key shop can cut a new one from your existing key and Ricambi has the $12 blanks.

You need to get the original PIN from Ferrari. Once you have that, you can get a new set of fobs with a new PIN from Ferrari. Cost of new fobs and PIN was ~$550 last time I checked, and your Alarm ECU needs to be programmed to accept them. Without the original PIN, new fobs and a new PIN are worthless.

Did you get your car from an FNA dealer or an independent? If not from an FNA dealer, you have no leverage. Search for the PIN in the Owner's Manual, Alarm Manual, and in the Warranty Book. If you cannot get your original PIN, you can have your fob cloned one or multiple times and have as many have back-ups as you like.

Read the following so you understand what came with the car and your options.

If they promised you two keys and two fobs with the car, you have a breach of promise. Again, unless you got it in writing, it is your word against theirs, and you have no leverage. My car came from an FNA dealer and they gave me the three fobs and PIN after the sale, but I had the original PIN.

Taz
Terry Phillips
Thanks Terry. I will try to get the PIN.
David
Old 10-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Karting
Sponsor

Full Name: Terry
My Garage
Need 2 Black Key Fobs

My 2000 550 came with only the Red Key Fob, both keys and the PIN. Where do I find black key fobs and are they programmed using the existing PIN?

Thanks.

Terry
Old 10-27-2010, 09:05 AM
F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Terry- Read this and it will answer your questions. You cannot buy black fobs and use them with your existing PIN and red fob. You have options and they are covered in this document. Also search "clone" in tech Q&A for more discussion.

Taz
Terry Phillips
Attached Files
File Type: doc Programming Alarm ECUs with New Fobs.doc (2.04 MB, 43 views)
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-15-2011, 11:21 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Ryan
I have a red and black fob that I don't have PINs for. Do they have any value or are they completely unusable?
Old 04-16-2011, 01:45 AM
F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Ryan- They usually bring about $100 each to use as clones. Maybe a bit more for the red, although there is no difference except the colot of the plastic.

Taz
Terry Phillips
Old 04-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Karting
Non Subscribed

TAZ, or anyone else, do the euro cars also have one red and 2 black fobs?
I have 2 black fobs, no red. The key ring has a small rectangular metal plate with 4 digit number. Am I at risk, do I need a red fob?
Old 04-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Stefano
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW View Post
TAZ, or anyone else, do the euro cars also have one red and 2 black fobs?
I have 2 black fobs, no red. The key ring has a small rectangular metal plate with 4 digit number. Am I at risk, do I need a red fob?
Yes, same thing with Euro cars!
You're not at risk as long as you have at least one working fob. The best thing would be to read its content with an EEPROM programmer and store it in a file. If ever both fobs die, you can always find someone to write the file back to another fob.

Stefano