575M Air Conditioning Panel Mounting Tabs Breaking | FerrariChat

575M Air Conditioning Panel Mounting Tabs Breaking

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by tazandjan, Jun 28, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #1 tazandjan, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Something for 575M owners to watch in the future.

While visiting Santa Fe for an FCA luncheon, I used my window switch to lower the window and talk to someone. When I did, the entire air conditioning and switch panel started to pull loose at the top. It easily pushed back in and seated. No sweat, I thought, a five minute job to tighten and my tech, Signor Buona Wrencha (Aaron) has all the plastic tools for pulling the two outside, top switches on each side to reach the mounting screws and he could tighten them, no sweat. When Aaron tried to tighten it, however, both of the plastic mounting tabs more or less disintegrated.

New fascias are not available as a separate item in the parts catalog and even Rod Drew at FAI said they were not available separately. Ricambi's price is $2500 for the entire panel and all the switches on the front and back, way too rich for me. I noticed Robbie of Sticky No More said he had some 550 A/C panels for sale, so I gave him a call. He said he had already seen 575M panels with broken tabs and that he did not have a panel for sale, but did have one he would loan me. Good old Robbie to the rescue. We are lucky to have him in our community.

So Aaron and I will use Robbie's panel just for measurements and photos, and then document the repair so if it happens to you, you or your tech will know how to fix it. We intend to make metal tabs rather than the plastic ones, which apparently could not take the heat of all those nearby switches.

The two images below show the panel with the outside switches removed to access the mounting screws. The second image shows the mounting tabs on the back after the panel has been pulled.

The real reason for writing this, though, is to recommend you open your windows slightly differently. If you just reach up and pull down on the switch, you are applying pressure to those tabs, and they may eventually break, like mine did. If instead, you use one finger to push on the top edge of the panel while pulling down on the switch with another finger, the mounting tabs' survival time will be greatly extended. That is what I am doing now, and it works fine, and I do not even have tabs.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Once again Taz saves the day with valuable info!

Thanks for the heads up.

3. lavida

lavida Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    Thanks Taz!!!!!!!!!

4. alex550575430

alex550575430 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2009
    LOS ANGELES, CA
    Full Name:
    LIN ALEX
    Hahahaha.....

Mine has being broke off for over 4 years up to today... I am kind of used to it hanging it out loose which bothers me a bit... Anyhow, I get it fixed soon sometime this summer...

Alex

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Alex- Affirmative. Broken stuff is unacceptable. Are you going for the $2500 fix or the Taz fix?

Taz
    Terry Phillips

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #6 tazandjan, Jul 1, 2011
    Received Robbie's A/C fascia today and it is a perfect example of what is happening. As you can see, one tab has broken and the other is cracked and not long for this world. And this is his good one. The problem is twofold, first the heat is embrittling the plastic, and second, the switches that fit into the slots rub against the mounting tabs as they are removed and replaced. Mine is in much worse shape than this one.

Luckily, if you look at the panel, the mounting tabs are flush with the switch slots on the inside, leaving plenty of room on the outside for reinforcement or a new metal tab with a 90 deg bend in the bottom acting as a foot and surface for adhesive, either epoxy or cyanoacrylate, whichever is less likely to eat the plastic. Epoxy, most likely.

To make matters a little more fun, the mounting face on the tabs is at an angle to the panel. Looking closely, though, the tabs are isosceles triangles with the top cut off parallel to the base and the bottom two legs cut at angles that should be fairly easy to match.

I am thinking brass shim stock for replacement tabs, but am open to suggestions. Easy ro bend and relatively stiff. Hate to use plastic again and have it embrittle like the original.

Will show it to Aaron next week and see what he says.

Incidentally, the clear plastic panel on the back is the diffraction grid for lighting the panel.

Yes, Robbie's panel is from a Euro 575.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

7. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'd try 5052 aluminum sheet of the proper thickness, cut to fit on the outside of the two side pieces and bonded with Devcon Plastic Weld. You have, fortunately, a fairly large bonding area.

You'd want to rough up both surfaces before bonding. If you want to send me your broken piece I'll have a go at it. Depending on switch interference it might even be possible to get a rivet in there. I have spare switches to test fit and see.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- 5052 might be a good alternative to brass. Some panels have a generous bonding surface, like Robbie's, but my tabs are mere stumps. Robbie's other panel is apparently about as bad as mine.

Do you have a source for the 5052 sheets? Have not tried the Devcon. How much plastic does it dissolve? My idea is to make a pattern that anyone could use to make their own repair overlay. There is not enough material in mine for a rivet. The tabs are pretty thin plastic

Taz
    Terry Phillips

9. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #9 ferraridriver, Jul 1, 2011
  10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- Mine does not have any side tabs left. Remember, this is Robbie's good one. I want a one piece thing that has the side tabs, mounting tab, and two feet all in one piece of bent metal. Bend to shape, drill the mounting hole (maybe do that first), and bond to whatever remains of the side tabs, stumps or not.

Robbie's will be the test case.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

11. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #11 ferraridriver, Jul 1, 2011
    OK, then bend up a piece of 5052 and bond here. I'd put a couple of small holes in the 5052 for the epoxy to bleed out and form over, gives a stronger bond.

Devcon Plastic Weld works well on a lot of plastics but you need to test first. I'd use a broken piece of the tabs to test. It didn't bond at all to the plastic used on the sun visor, but it does work great on shock actuators :)

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- Thanks. Will follow your advice, as usual. Pretty sure epoxy will work without causing other problems. There are so many different types of plastic now, you are never sure what will bond and what will not.

Taz
    Terry phillips

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- Thanks. Have not used it, but it looks good.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

14. SkyKing

SkyKing Rookie

Dec 31, 2010
    Chatham, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Taz:

I buy aluminum [ previously suggested ] in various sizes and thickness at Hobby Shops . RC Modellers use this material routinely. It is very strong regardless of the thickness, yet can be bent and molded as required. I like epoxy, just not the 5 minute set type as the longer the set time, the stronger the bond. I'm sure you already know this though. Just my suggestion.

SkyKing.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bruce- Thanks. Have not worked with aluminum all that much, so any helpful hints are valuable. I like epoxy, but then I had 10 Corvettes, so I am predisposed towards that material. You are right. Cyanoacrylate is better than 5 minute epoxy.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #17 tazandjan, Jul 4, 2011
    I made a crude drawing of a repair panel for the air conditioning panel and then did a paper fit check. Considering I could not find any of my drafting tools (who knows after 20 years in the same house) and used dots on pieces of stick-ems for lengths and folds for angles, the results were pretty good. I ordered some real measuring tools and will produce drawings for everybody to use that have dimensions and angles accurately portrayed.

Right now, though, if I had some sheet aluminum and a jig saw or metal shears, it would be easy to make repair panels that worked. Once everything is in hand, Aaron and I will repair Robbie's panel first and then mine. May have to make some minor mods to the drawings to make up for bend radius. I also note Ferrari, for come reason, truncated the actual tab and then put the mounting hole too close to the edge, helping it fail. We will leave the tab bigger and see if that works. Will be stonger if it does.

The idea is to make a repair panel that will work regardless of how far gone your tabs are. From merely cracked like Robbie's on one side, to nothing left but stubs like mine, the repair panel should work for all of them.

Any hints from anybody on what thickness 5052 aluminum sheet I should use? There is actually not that much pressure on the mount. It is just that the heat kills the plastic and any stress finishes the tab.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

17. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #18 ferraridriver, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- Thicker than I would have thought, thanks. About a twelfth of an inch (1/12.5" acutally).

Taz
    Terry Phillips

19. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Then go with .063, should be adequate

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #21 tazandjan, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
    Dave- I ordered some .08 and .05, so I should be covered. Only about $10. Cost more to ship it. If it can be cut with metal shears it will be a big advantage. All the bends will provide quite a bit of strength, especially once bonded in place. I like your idea of glue holes for those with a large bonding surface.

Guess I should not have given away my 9" band saw and drill press.

Taz
    terry Phillips

21. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    We need a tool and die maker on fchat, make up a die and stamp out a few. :)

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- Good point. Cost would only be about a buck each. Eventually, there will be a market for ~4000 of the things.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

23. ottocars

ottocars Karting

Jan 1, 2010
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Otto
    #24 ottocars, Jul 4, 2011
    Here is a cardboard template of the new bracket to fix my panel.
    I designed it to go over the whole with of the panel so I would have more area to glue it onto the plastic. The first one was made out of aluminum and was not strong enough.
    The second time I used sheet metal the roofers had left over from the roof of my house and it worked out perfect. :)

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    J- So you used a full length panel between the two outside brackets for the tabs? There is a lot more surface for bonding on the two separate pieces.

Taz
    Terry Phillips