550 LM -From Evo---------------------------- | FerrariChat

550 LM -From Evo----------------------------

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by tonyh, Oct 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Ferrari 550LM

My carefully practised nonchalance evaporates the second I open the door to the photographic studio. There, in the middle of the studio floor, is the very first 550LM road car, its paint barely dry after leaving the paintshop only a few hours earlier. Under the full glare of the studio lights, the shockingly vibrant scarlet paintwork fizzes with energy as individual spotlights are trained on its voluptuous curves and extravagant vents. Its fabulous snout pouts back at the photographer with all the confidence of a supermodel. Bloody hell, talk about wow factor, I've never seen a car with such a generous helping of the stuff.

I find myself morphing into a balding, slightly creased version of a giggling schoolboy who should know better. I'm supposed to be talking to photographer Hayden about the shoot-list, but I'm not making much sense. All I want to do is snatch the keys, clamber in and elope with my new-found mistress, never to be seen again. Yet behind the lights and the gleaming curves, there's a huge feeling of relief for everyone concerned. Because this fabulous roadgoing replica of the 2003 Le Mans GTS class-winning Ferrari very nearly didn't happen at all.

The idea for the car came from Frederic Dor, owner of Care Racing, whose Prodrive-developed 550 Maranello it was that won the GTS class in the 2003 Le Mans. After the race, Frederic approached Prodrive about developing a roadgoing replica but, after investigating the concept, Prodrive declared that it just couldn't be done economically.

Frederic, however, is not a man to be deterred and earlier this year he teamed up with Roland Hall from ES Motorsport to take one more look at whether the project could be made viable.

News of the proposals reached Evo Towers and we ran a world exclusive news story in issue 67. Care Racing were initially seriously annoyed at the leak, but this soon evaporated as ES Motorsport began to report an amazing response from evo readers around the world, desperate to know more about the car. In fact, it soon became clear that there would be more than enough buyers willing (but more importantly, able) to put down deposits, and ES Motorsport announced that it would go ahead with plans to build 50 cars.

Bill Harris (whose last road-car project was the McLaren F1) was recruited into the team and given the job of making the 550LM concept a production reality. His first, and biggest hurdle, was to sort out exactly where the unique carbonfibre bodywork was going to come from.

Prodrive was still the obvious choice to do it, since the Banbury-based company had initially developed and built the racecar's bodywork, but again they were adamant that it wasn't a viable proposition as a road car. Furthermore, Prodrive had already started work on turning the DB9 into a Le Mans racer for Aston Martin so it wouldn't really be politic to be working on the Ferrari at the same time as the new Aston.

Then a small company called GTR Ltd came into the equation after being highly recommended by various associates of Hall's. With a reputation for working miracles with carbonfibre for a number of big-name F1 teams in double-quick time, they seemed to be the perfect choice.

A racecar from Care Racing's Swiss base was dispatched to GTR's workshop, hidden away down a small lane on the outskirts of Fontwell, a few miles south of Goodwood. GTR's craftsmen began to assess the work involved to produce a carbon copy of the bulging, vented bodywork - with a few tweaks to make it a bit more 'roadable'. This time around, ES Motorsport struck lucky; GTR agreed it was a goer and they would even be able to produce the moulds for the fourteen body panels within the limited time available before the racecar had to be returned to Switzerland. Fortunately, GTR's workload tends to be lower during the summer months, as F1 work doesn't peak until the winter.

Before the previously pristine four-year-old 550 Maranello donor car was sent to GTR, much of the conversion work had already been done by ES Motorsport. All of the body panels that were to be replaced with the new carbon items had been removed, along with most of the sound deadening in the car, mainly from the areas around the front and rear bulkheads. Items like driver and passenger airbags had been removed too, along with the original stereo system, which was replaced with a lightweight Becker Indianapolis radio/sat nav system linked to an i-pod hidden in the glovebox. The original carpets remain, though, as it was always the intention with the 550LM that it should be civilised enough to use on a daily basis.

The 5.5-litre V12 had been fettled to increase the power by 55bhp to a heady 540bhp, chiefly by remapping the ECU and adding some electronic sensors from the Enzo, which enable the engine to inhale a richer petrol/air mix at higher revs. The brakes will be seriously uprated, too, with a similar AP set-up to the racecar currently being developed, the 385mm front discs making the most of the increased space available inside the bigger, 19in wheels.

It was at this point that I popped down to GTR to see how the first car was coming along. When I arrived I was directed to a building known as the 'Rocket Shop', so called because it was in this nondescript workshop that GTR built and developed the rocket-powered Thrust SSC project for a certain Richard Noble. It's amazing what goes on in quiet corners of the English countryside...

Today, though, the workshop is home to the impressive sight of the partly built 550LM, its bodywork a patchwork of dark grey carbonfibre and original red bodywork. GTR's fabricators have been working 24 hours a day for sixteen days now to get the car this far and tonight it'll be ready to go off to the spray-shop. It's an astonishing achievement when you think about it, but it just goes to show what can be done when the chips are down.

The weight savings achieved by GTR with the newly finished carbonfibre panels make spectacular reading. Take the front bumper, for example. The original weighed in at a chunky 28kg, but the new front section, including the much lower airdam and all-new front splitter comes in at an astonishing 4kg. It's the same story at the rear of the car, where the standard rear bumper weighed in at 35kg; having been re-fashioned in carbonfibre, it now weighs 5kg. Meanwhile the carbon bonnet saves a further 17kg over the original aluminium alloy version.

The standard electric seats have
    gone too, swapped for a pair of beautifully trimmed, carbon sports seats, which are adjustable for tilt and reach and come complete with a Ferrari crest embossed into the black leather on the headrest. They're terrifically comfortable too, yet together they bring a combined weight saving of nearly 50kg over the original equipment.

Another big saving comes from the new exhaust system. ES Motorsport was amazed to discover that each rear 'box weighed a massive 19kg; now though both have been replaced by straight pipes weighing a paltry 2kg each. In fact, two exhausts systems will be offered; this car has the noisy one fitted, with a deep bass crackle that'll probably be too much for most people; a slightly quieter one is also being developed.

The overall weight saving adds up to just over 270kg but the target weight saving was originally 300kg and the current thinking is that some of the glass could be swapped for Perspex to bring the final target kerbweight of 1400kg within reach. With the 540bhp on offer from the modified engine, that'll mean a power-to-weight ratio of 392bhp per ton compared with 287bhp per ton for the standard car. Which certainly makes the ambitious performance claims more believable, although we're promised that the most amazing sensation when we finally get to drive the car will be the huge amount of down-force the car will be producing at speed. No figures are available, as the road car hasn't been near a wind tunnel yet, but expect to see at least 200kg being generated at 180mph.

Back in the studio, I'm still mesmerised by the lines of this car. It really has no right to be this good-looking. OK, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but if you idolise cars like the Lancia Integrale Evo for its raw aggression combined with a beautifully purposeful design ethic, in that instance driven along by the rally programme, then this 550LM is the Zenith of the art.

It helps, of course, that the Pininfarina-penned base car is so majestic in the first place, but you have to keep reminding yourself that it was never conceived to be a racecar. The engineers at Prodrive who first developed the racer could so easily have messed-up the design, yet form follows function quite beautifully. The only jarring note, perhaps, is that enormous rear wing, but on the final production cars it'll be optional anyway. If it is fitted, it'll have a cunning hinge in its supports so that it pivots forward, allowing the boot to open normally.

Straight after our shoot, endurance racing legend Andy Wallace will be starting the road development programme, with the specific aim of making the 550LM a very useable supercar, so excellent ride quality will be a top priority, as will feedback to the driver; Frederic Dor and ES Motorsport are adamant they don't want to lose the 550's natural characteristics, just enhance them.
    And evo will be helping with this chassis tuning along the way, too.

All this bespoke work costs serious money, of course. ES Motorsport is quoting around £90,000 plus the donor car. With good Ferrari 550 Maranellos changing hands for as little as £60,000, you're going to end up with a final build cost of £150,000 for a finished car. There's no chance of building one by buying the components either, because ES Motorsport is insisting that it won't sell parts. Only complete cars will be built and, once the production run is finished, that will be it.

Some will argue that in an ideal world you would want to buy such a car directly from Ferrari, but on the other hand it's the Care Racing 550 that has the Le Mans class-winning pedigree, and that's something that could be important for future values of the road cars. And imagine the price Ferrari would charge for such a limited-production, carbonfibre-bodied car. I'd expect it would be around double the price of this 550LM.
    Ferrari 550LM

The 550LM will be a genuinely different alternative to the obvious supercar contenders, but well able to match all but the most extreme of them in terms of performance and street theatre. Of course, any verdict will have to wait until we drive the first car in a couple of months' time, but given that we have already made the Ferrari 550 Maranello our favourite car of the last ten years (Car of the Decade, issue 066) the signs are very promising indeed. I, for one, can't wait.

Ferrari 550LM

Engine: V12

Displacement: 5474cc

Cylinder block: Aluminium alloy, dry sumped

Cylinder head: Aluminium alloy, dohc per bank, four valves per cylinder

Fuel and ignition: Electronic distributorless engine management, sequential multi-point fuel injection

Max power: 540bhp @ 7000rpm

Max torque: 438lb ft @ 5000rpm

Transmission: Six-speed manual (transaxle) gearbox, rear-wheel drive, helical limited slip differential

Front suspension: Double wishbones, coils springs, dampers, anti-roll bar

Rear suspension: Double wishbones, coil springs, dampers, anti-roll bar

Steering: Rack and pinion, power-assisted

Ferrari 550LM

Brakes: Cross-drilled and ventilated discs, 385mm front, 355mm rear, ABS

Wheels: 9 x19in front, 11.5 x 19in rear, aluminium alloy

Tyres: 295/35 ZR19 front, 345/30 ZR19 rear, Michelin

Weight kerb: 1400kg (tbc)

Power to weight: 392bhp/ton (tbc)

Insurance group: 20

Max speed: circa 200mph (claimed)

Basic price: Donor car plus £90,000

On sale: Autumn 2004

0 to 60 MPH: 3.9sec (claimed)

Attached Files:

2. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Tony

Thanks for posting such a great article.

Not to sure about that rear wing though.

Cheers Kevan
    :) See you down the road - with huge grins on our faces :)

3. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    wing looks pants

4. 550syd

550syd Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Is there anyone in the US, UK or elsewhere making lighter versions of the bumpers?

It appears that it wouldn't be too difficult to make a mould of the existing parts and then get them fabricated in CF/Kevlar to achieve the same weight savings.

If these parts were available who on this forum would be interested in buying them?

5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    And if anyone is interested in lighter bumpers...would they want a stock standard appearance/direct replacement.....

.....or would they like to have a subtly deeper front splitter for more downforce and aggressive looks, or would they like a rear bumper with a subtle flare behind the tyre for better stone protection on the rear etc......

6. BlueMaranello

BlueMaranello Karting

May 29, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Much as I like the look of the deeper front splitter I'd go for the stock standard on the basis of road clearance at the front. I use my car pretty regularly and a lower front would just make it that bit less practical.

I'd be seriously tempted by the weight saving though.

What about the ECU remapping, is that easy to get done economically?

Then there's the brake upgrade!

Damn, I need a spare £90k!!

Steve

7. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I think a complete kit could be put together for around $35K AUD (less than 15,000 pounds) consisting of seats, exhaust, ECU, front and rear bar, bonnet, brakes and suspension. I'm currently investigating costs and options.

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  9. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  10. peter mac

peter mac Karting

Nov 25, 2003
    There is a comparison road test with this 550LM and a 365GTB competition in the Jan 05 edition of the British mag Motorsport.

11. A.D.K.

A.D.K. Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Terre Haute, IN
    Full Name:
    Andy Klueber
  12. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    the car they are building seems very nice but I would much rather have one of the race cars that Prodrive has been racing. Don't they retire them every so often and replace them with fresh ones. How would one go about obtaining a retired 550 or 575 race car?

13. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    The Wing looks like style

14. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    Thanks for the post Tony..

Aside from the weight saving associated with it...the bonnet is first on the list if I'm in the market for a 550M. Heat issues are common here and well, those vents should vent out all the hot air indeedy....

15. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    This sounds like a really cool project. Did it go any further?

16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yes, but IIRC they only made 3 cars (1 is the car pictured below, 2 more are in the middle east somewhere).

It was sold to Maximilian Cooper (organizer of Gumball 3000 road rally) who painted his in General Lee colours (why I don't know) and used in G3000. It was then sold to a chap in the Netherlands who has repainted it red and as far as I know still owns it. It's maintained by Forza Service in Oss (independent garage).

I do like the project and serves as partial inspiration for my 550 idea when I finally get one...but to me they made some rather large miss-steps (the wheel offset for starters is a total and complete mess up). The huge wing is straight from the race car so will certainly provide an aero inbalance at speed...and the full leather interior messes with my immersion. It's as if the car is confused on what it wants to be. Not quite sure on what actual numbers they achieved (in terms of weight loss).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Finally a video of it here:

1 of 1 Ferrari 550 Le Mans GTS sound - street legal racecar - 1000 Miglia 2013 - YouTube

17. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I saw the car at the Modena Track days in Spa about 2015.

IMO : It looks ugly and the sound is awful

Daniel

Bas likes this.
  18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Daniel- Takes some really bad decisions to make a V12 Ferrari sound bad.

Bas likes this.
  19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If ever there was a Ferrari that is in dire need of Fabio's exhaust manifolds...I agree the sound is just...a noise.