Rear view mirror | FerrariChat

Rear view mirror

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ferraridriver, Oct 28, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1 ferraridriver, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
    How not to take off the inside rear view mirror.

Do NOT push up as has been suggested before, I did, gave it a slight bump with the heel of my hand and took a divot out of the windshield as the mirror came off. Then it started to crack, then the cracks spread.

A new windshield is going to cost me $6,145 all together. I know there are cheaper aftermarket windshields out there but this is for a factory windshield installed by Frank Zucchi who knows what he's doing.

The mirror is held on with a triangular post button which is attached to the windshield at the factory. New windshields come with the button attached.

To remove the mirror turn the stalk about one third of a revolution either direction, carefully, because it's hard to turn, it's spring loaded internally.

2. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #2 308 GTB, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
    I'm sorry to hear this, Dave. And I'm familiar with the rear view mirror mounting too as my windshield broke about two years ago when hit by a rock tossed up by a car I was following. The previous owner had also replaced the windshield several years ago with 575M glass as 550 windshields were no longer available. The mount was specific for the 575M rear view mirror which differs from the 550 mirror so Classic Coach modified the 550 mirror to fit the 575M mount. He felt, as do I, that the 550 mirror provides a better view.

Barry

3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    $6k ???? ****..

4. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave

5. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Dave,

I think the 575M mirror is similar to the 360 mirror and not as wide as the 550 mirror. The third brake light will obstruct the view out the rear window regardless of the mirror mounted.

The Gentex sounds like an interesting upgrade.

Barry

6. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Barry, The problem is the Gentex mirror speaks American English while the mounting button speaks Italian. I'm going to need a translator

7. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Dave,

Ask Frank if he could attach a 575M mirror mount to the Gentex mirror (you'll no doubt be getting 575M glass which is identical to 550 glass with the exception of the button).

Classic Coach was able to replace the 550 mirror's mount with one for a 575M to allow the mirror to attach to the button in my new (575M) glass.

Barry

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    RV Mirros are outdated. Put in a rear facing camera on the roof like the BMW satalite antennas. Then dash mount a monitor.

9. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Has anyone considered installing a wide-angle mirror?
    I just put one into my DD S4 Avant....other than non-dimming, I'm in love with the extra visibility!
    Thoughts?

10. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Is that one of those "objects are closer than they appear" mirrors?

If so, I hate them, I never am able too judge distances with them.

11. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Not those.....rather the type often seen in an enclosed race car.....altho they are sometimes segmented, which I don't like.

(actually, one of the Euro 550 GTC race cars had one in a video I watched!)

12. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Can you post a picture of your mirror, James?

13. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    I was thinking about it and now I'm going to do it !

Add windshield insurance to all my cars.

cheers,

Bill

14. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    #14 tritone, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorry for the pic quality.....top image shows the expanse of the view (in an S4 Avant), back window/rear side windows/backseat windows....in addition to normal side mirror view...esp good to have the rear side window views - lots of cars normally hidden there...

2nd pic - simple/unattractive mount - have not yet searched for a more permanent/aesthetic mount....function trumps form here.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    James, You look awfully lightheaded in that pic :)

16. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    ....my profs always said I was the bright one; if only I would apply myself.....

17. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    :)

18. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I got the windshield yesterday and the Gentex auto dimming mirror was there when I got home. It will fit on the trapezoidal mount and it is secured with a set screw. Good thing because their trapezoid doesn't match our trapezoid. But it will go on and stay put.The only thing is I have to wait until the glass in in before I can tell if there is enough adjustment to make it work.

It needs 12 volts from somewhere but that simple.

I bought the base model, no compass, no Home link, no outside temp, no rear view camera display, just auto dimming for $70.

I already have a garage door opener hid under the seat and I like that position better than the home link in my other cars. I don't need a compass, or a rear view display the size if a postage stamp, and since I can't do anything about the outside temp anyway why do I need to know it?