Damaged cambelt assembly? | FerrariChat

Damaged cambelt assembly?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by cwkwok, Dec 16, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cwkwok

cwkwok Karting

Jun 17, 2009
    Clear Water Bay, HK
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #1 cwkwok, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi all,

I got a problem with my '99 550, want to see what your thoughts are, and if any of you had similar problem before.

My 550 had a major cambelt service by local dealer back in mid August this year, I didn't drive the car much since, from the date of service till now, I put on less than 2000km. The last time I drove the car for two weeks ago, thought it's a nice day today so I decided to take it out for a spin. Temperature here is always about 18c so I can't say its a very cold temperature in my garage.

Started my car as usual, within 10 seconds, I heard a big POP sound and the car gone very noisy, as if there is air leakage somewhere in the exhaust system. I walked around the car, the noise was pretty bad, and I thought there maybe misfiring in either bank of the engine. Opened the front hood, immediately I spotted the cambelt sawing the plastic cambelt cover in front of the left bank (driver side in US term) as picture taken attached. I stopped the engine immediately, took pictures and drove myself (with another car) to the local dealer. I showed the Ferrari service adviser these pictures, and ask if he has seen something like this before, and what's will he recommand. He told me not to start the engine again, and he will need to tow my car in, dissemble the compartment to check as there are quite a few belts inside. The worst thing was, he said his workshop is so full that he won't have time for me until 2012......

Now here are my questions:

1. Would it be reasonable that I blame my local dealer for this damage, and that it was caused by their last cambelt service about 4 months ago?

2. What can be the cause of this problem? I owned the car for over 4 years, never had similar problem, until I was convinced to perform the cambelt service since it's been five years since last cambelt service done. (The last service was by previous owner in 2006)

3. What can be damaged inside? I worry one of the belts broke and might have damaged other pulleys or gear inside?

It's gonna be a depressing Christmas holiday for me with a broken 550 sitting in my garage waiting to be fixed..... can't drive it for the holidays......

Let me know what's your comment / view to my questions.

Many thanks for all your help in advance!

Allan

below 2 pictures show the left bank damaged cover & belt, bottom picture showing the right bank with original cover.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jznd

jznd Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Did it sound like the engine was misfiring while this was happening?

3. cwkwok

cwkwok Karting

Jun 17, 2009
    Clear Water Bay, HK
    Full Name:
    Allan
    yes, exhaust continued the popping sound, and like air was leaking. I am quite positive it's due to the left cambelt assembly's damage, the entire left bank wasn't turning at normal speed, and that's causing the misfiring sound (from the exhaust system).

4. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    wow. scary. Unfortunately it's more than likely there has been some engine damage with valves hitting pistons if the timing has moved. This would cause the popping through the exhaust you describe. This means quite a major engine repair.
    As to weather the dealer was at fault, it's difficult to say without a visual inspection and assesment. It could be that one of the pulleys has broken up or come loose. it could also be that a tensioner has failed or come loose, causing the belt to run through the front of the cover. If it's a part that was fitted during service that has failed, then you should be able to claim parts warranty on the job.

5. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    If you had a major service only 2000km ago and he was the one that performed it, then he should assume responsibility for it.

There is no way this should happen under normal circumstances.

Before you leave the car with him, make sure to discuss what he is willing to accept and be responsible for, otherwise if it comes to litigation, you may not have any evidence.

If he is in denial, then I would call an "expert witness" and take pictures and write a report.

6. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    While i agree with most of your post, i don't think it's fair to presume liability untill it's been stripped for inspection....

7. bay

bay Formula 3

Mar 13, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bernard
    #7 bay, Dec 16, 2011
    During the maintenance of 50,000 kms, we detected a noise and noticed a failed bearing in the distribution, it was replaced.
    This is for you to consider ?

8. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Have it inspected and talk to the shop and see what they say.

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    It looks like your timing belt lost it's "track". Impossible to know just why until it is apart. I'm guessing that you have a problem with the timing belt drive on the left bank. Possibly a bad bearing (like the one posted above) or perhaps you lost the "fence" (a known problem with some cars) on the left drive pulley. From your description it sounds like the timing slipped on that bank.

Post more pictures when it comes apart.

10. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    #10 BRADAN, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
    It looks bad but you could be in luck. It looks like the timing belt did not break and just walked forward. Like others said, I would guess a failed fence or bearing. The one failed bearing I saw locked up with the timing belt burning over it but stayed on track.

I think the the fair thing would be for him to inspect it right away. Any normal mechanic who takes pride in their work would want to tear that apart right away.

11. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    +1
    No speculation until inspection!!!!!!

12. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Just wanted to say how sorry I am.

Try and enjoy the holidays, not anything else you can do.

I hope everything works out and it's nothing very major.

Bill

13. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Absolutely.

14. ferrarihk

ferrarihk Rookie

Dec 16, 2011
    Original parts???? from dealer??

15. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    I am afraid that the fact that the sound of the engine and exhaust changed means that the timing is off on that side and greater damage ensued. The belt looks a bit loose in that picture too, it is likely that the bearing as pictured has indeed failed. Did you have any noises at the front prior to this?
    Look at the video here, it is the pulley movement accompanied by the "clattering" sound that indicates a very worn bearing: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc41GwGx1HU[/ame]

16. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Seen this before, normally doesn't cause any serious engine damage. Akthough if you heard some strange popping noises you may be in serious trouble.

Looking at the pics, I'd say the cam pullies were removed to replace the cam seals and the bolts were either left loose or not torqued properly.

The cam gears walked forward and have chewed into the cam covers. Seen this many times before and only earlier this year I was asked to repair the same thing that happened to a friends car.

The cam belt was only fitted a few weeks prior by another so called "mechanic". To this day he has not taken the blame for that mess and did not want to repair the car after it all turned to ****. I didn't want to take the job on as it wasn't my doing, but they insisted I look at it and I did.

**He left the cam bolts loose after replacing the cam seals and both cams walked forward ruining the plastic cover and the cam belt. No other damage was caused luckily**

Hopefully the workshop inspects and claims responsibilty if it's their fault..............which I would say it is.

Good luck and be sure to keep us updated on their findings.

17. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Yes, proceed with caution and see what the mechanics reaction is, if he tries to deny any wrongdoing, then I would take the neccesary measure to file a claim (gather evident, have an independent 3rd party inspection conducted, etc.)

Either the belt "walked" from the cam pullies, or the entire cam pullies moved (as described by pap348).

From what you describe, I think you make have to remove the head and have some valves replaced.

18. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Just wanted to quote to fix up my spelling errors. :eek::eek:

19. cwkwok

cwkwok Karting

Jun 17, 2009
    Clear Water Bay, HK
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Thanks Bradan, I really hope there isn't significant damage made to the engine. The dealer called me this morning and arranged tow for my car right away. They said they can't wait to put my 550 on the lift to see what's gone wrong, and whether its caused by their cambelt job few months back. Fingers crossed hopefully nothing major........ and that the dealer will admit responsibility.....

20. cwkwok

cwkwok Karting

Jun 17, 2009
    Clear Water Bay, HK
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Yes, original parts by dealer.

21. cwkwok

cwkwok Karting

Jun 17, 2009
    Clear Water Bay, HK
    Full Name:
    Allan

Thanks Pap, very informative and glad you can tell from your experience, hope that there isn't major damage, and the it was really just due to a loose cam bolt. However, the popping sound was more from the rear exhaust pipe I reckon probably due to mis-firing of the left bank, if it was only a loose bolt, would it affect the bank's rpm compare to the other normal side? I have sound 2 capristo on so that probably multiplied that popping noise...?

The car just arrived the dealer, I am invited to inspect along with the mechanics, hopefully they will find it somewhat related to their cambelt service.

22. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    The car just arrived the dealer, I am invited to inspect along with the mechanics, hopefully they will find it somewhat related to their cambelt service.[/QUOTE]

Now that's the best news....

can you be there?

Bill

23. cwkwok

cwkwok Karting

Jun 17, 2009
    Clear Water Bay, HK
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Thanks Bill, glad you understand how one could feel having a broken 550 with unknown problem sitting in the dealer's shop throughout Christmas and new year.

The dealer seems promising to put their hands on it today and there is a bit of light they may fix it (if problem isn't big) before they close for Christmas. Will keep you all updated.

Thanks,

Allan

24. cwkwok

cwkwok Karting

Jun 17, 2009
    Clear Water Bay, HK
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Now that's the best news....

can you be there?

Bill[/QUOTE]

They said once they have space to put mine on the lift and start disassembling the front, they will call me over to their shop! I will continue this coverage with photos.

25. cwkwok

cwkwok Karting

Jun 17, 2009
    Clear Water Bay, HK
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #25 cwkwok, Dec 18, 2011