Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 456/550/575 - Sponsored by Bradan

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 12:03 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Allan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabots View Post
I have now filled out the irrelevant information. Forums however should be impersonal. Posts should be read and responded to for the content without relating it to how many Ferraris the poster has/had or if he even owns a Ferrari or if the poster has in the past offended the resident guru. The key bit of info is now in there. As a retired Mechanical Engineer, I do usually know of what I speak technically. Sorry for not filling that out when I joined.
"Forums should be impersonal?" We try to treat each other with respect and good humor, whether the member drives an Enzo or a clapped out Honda Civic. Many of the members are engineers, scientists, licensed racing drivers and jet fighter pilots, so they know a thing or two about performance. Not all of them fill out the profile, but they do speak to each other in a civil manner.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-28-2012, 02:02 AM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: dOTUS
Quote:
I have now filled out the irrelevant information. Forums however should be impersonal. Posts should be read and responded to for the content without relating it to how many Ferraris the poster has/had or if he even owns a Ferrari or if the poster has in the past offended the resident guru. The key bit of info is now in there. As a retired Mechanical Engineer, I do usually know of what I speak technically. Sorry for not filling that out when I joined.
You're right, 3" exhausts do blow hard.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:42 AM
F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Bas
Quote:
This thread sure shows where most have their priorities. 10 responses in only a day after a posting about putting racing fender shields on the rare fortunately unblemished fender of a street Ferrari.

Nil responses after being alerted to the bent, pinched, power draining exhausts which exist on their cars. Ironic that most want to identify with Ferrari race cars but have no interest in unlocking the performance potential there for the taking.

In Oz they would say 'what a bunch of girl's blouses'.
Get over yourself. Many think the shields look good on their 550, and why does it offend you (it seems) if someone wants their car looking perfect for themselves? RE the exhausts; most alternatives actually add power and most certainly are lighter. The stock 550 system is insanely heavy, the weight lost by replacing the stock exhaust is a performance additive already.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:09 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Wayne
Quote:
My solution to unwanted shields.
Ha ha ha, now that's brilliant, but it seems you have offended a few people. My solution on the 430 Challenge was to put sticker on aluminum cut to shield size, looks OEM in pictures but saved about 200 grams weight on the car. Now I have 6 OEM shields lying around.

Last edited by cwwhk; 04-28-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-28-2012, 06:10 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Alfredo
Quote:
Very well, now that we are on the right track I would suggest you do not jump to the conclusion that just because we are discussing shields here, we are only interested in appearance and not in substance.
There are many threads discussing exhaust and other technical issues that you may find interesting and / or that you may want to contribute to.
Welcome to this site, BTW.
A.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:36 AM
F1 Rookie
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Franc
Guys, lighten up. You all take things too serious.
I just smiled when I saw Trabots first post in this thread... and moved on...
Some of you I guess shouldn't have such a short fuse and do the same.

Trabots; you have a heck of a sexy 575!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:30 AM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

My 550 came with the plastic shields, i have had them replaced with the Yoshis which look much better. Personally i think the shields break-up the very long profile of the car, but these things are all subjective, no right or wrong...
Old 04-29-2012, 03:05 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Barry Wolinsky
My Garage
Si fueris Romae, Romano vivito more.

But I live in the United States so when I track my 550, I put these static-cling vinyl N.A.R.T. stickers on the fenders...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0112b.JPG (29.0 KB, 243 views)
Old 05-02-2012, 11:55 AM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Quote:
My solution to unwanted shields.
Well that is interesting. I have never before seen such. However, I understand your desires, but somehow I would keep the shields....just IMO. Nice way to fill the spot though.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Willy Stobart
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaRik View Post
Well that is interesting. I have never before seen such. However, I understand your desires, but somehow I would keep the shields....just IMO. Nice way to fill the spot though.
One of the attractions of Ferraris is the art of Scaglietti and Pininfarina. The bright yellow shield immediately draws your attention away, distracts from the shape that is the art. Ferrari saw another money maker when street car owners started copying his race cars so starting selling the shields at a ridiculous $1000/side. IMO the shields are now like so many designer labels. They do nothing for the beauty of the car, they just serve to alert others that you are indeed driving a Ferrari. Including the wheel centres and grille badge a Maranello has 7 more external logos than the Daytona! Unfortunately for those like me a shieldless Ferrari is now rarer than one with 3 pedals. Just my opinion.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:26 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Quote:
One of the attractions of Ferraris is the art of Scaglietti and Pininfarina. The bright yellow shield immediately draws your attention away, distracts from the shape that is the art. Ferrari saw another money maker when street car owners started copying his race cars so starting selling the shields at a ridiculous $1000/side. IMO the shields are now like so many designer labels. They do nothing for the beauty of the car, they just serve to alert others that you are indeed driving a Ferrari. Including the wheel centres and grille badge a Maranello has 7 more external logos than the Daytona! Unfortunately for those like me a shieldless Ferrari is now rarer than one with 3 pedals. Just my opinion.
agree on distraction. ON the 456 I actually believe it makes the car look shorter. Love the 456's lines unaltered.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: George Pepper
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaRik View Post
agree on distraction. ON the 456 I actually believe it makes the car look shorter. Love the 456's lines unaltered.
For me it depends on the color of the 456. Solid colors - red, yellow, or black - and the shields look fine to me. With metallic colors they just don't look right in my eyes.

As for the general issue, all of the classic Ferrari race cars I loved as a kid had them, so I wanted them too. I wouldn't like my 456M as well w/o them.

To each his own, as the saying goes.

Cheers,

George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00.jpg (80.2 KB, 142 views)
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by elk View Post
My 550 came with the plastic shields, i have had them replaced with the Yoshis which look much better. Personally i think the shields break-up the very long profile of the car, but these things are all subjective, no right or wrong...
You are right my friend.

cheers,

Bill