3 inch 575 exhaust and images | FerrariChat

3 inch 575 exhaust and images

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Trabots, Apr 28, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Trabots

Trabots Formula Junior

May 15, 2011
    Perth, West Aust
    Full Name:
    Willy Stobart
    #1 Trabots, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I posted some images last week in the technical Q&A in MAF vs MAP thread, here they are again. The Tubi tips shown are only stock diameter. They are being replaced with 3 inch in/out cans. Because they encourage bigger bangs and lose less exhaust energy going through, the big pipes need more silencing. The car is louder despite the 3inch x 36inch resonators compared to the same Tubi tips on the no muffler stock exhaust. The "classic V-12 sound" they make would please all of you and make the change worthwhile despite the big power increase you would have to live with. The cost was $6k for the pipe fabrication. A pair of high flow cats could easily be welded into the cat delete pipes if needed.

Stop watch testing in 3rd gear from 100kph to 160kph (4850 - 7500 rpm) has shown repeatable 3.8 sec. Realising we are not exactly comparing the same thing because you would normally have a 2-3 shift in that speed interval, the times achieved match EVO's 599 time of 3.9 sec and wallop the 575 time of 5.4 sec for the similar 60-100mph interval.

Yes Darth550 "You're right, 3" exhausts do blow hard." They will blow your blouses right off. And when I get my ECU's re-mapped by DMS or Powerchip I look forward to posting some accurate performance data on this thread.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Ok, I'll bite ;) Are you trying to suggest that your exhaust is responsible for dropping the 100 km/h to 160 km/h acceleration from 5.4 sec to 3.8 sec?
    Jes

3. Trabots

Trabots Formula Junior

May 15, 2011
    Perth, West Aust
    Full Name:
    Willy Stobart
    Not quite, I used 3rd gear only without a shift. As my car is a manual and 2-3rd is the slowest shift, I wanted an uninterrupted run up through the main power band for consistency and comparability. That interval is also easily correlated to any road test for 60-100mph. I did point out that if I was doing say 0-160kph I would have not shifted out of 2nd at 100kph and therefore that interval up to 160kph would have been increased by the time taken to shift. When I first got the car it did 4.5 sec with no cans, just the Tubi tips. Throw in a shift and it could be over 5 sec. Conversely, offsetting the shift time savings is the fact that I am starting the clock with the rpm at only 4,850 so that is a negative to performance. How much that loss compares to the shift time gain I cannot say. What the numbers do show is that apples to apples my car has improved from 4.5sec to 3.8sec with no tune optimisation for the bigger pipes. Both DMS and Powerchip quote roughly 40hp improvement on a stock 575. I am quite confident a tune from either will give double that with the 3inch pipes. I did also make two K&N air filters out of 3 550/456 filters. K&N don't make a 575 filter.

4. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I see. 80 HP increase from "only" exhaust and mapping is pretty good.

5. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Very nice.

6. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    That's very cool Willy...

Nice job,

Bill

7. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Great work.

How is the sound?

Can you up load a video on YouTube?

8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I don't need an audio/video recording to know that exhaust LOOKS way too loud.

I'll keep my blouse on, thanks. I may unbutton it a little though. lol.

Cheers,

George

9. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    #9 redcaruser, Apr 29, 2012
    Willy, that's hot!
    Am I right: you are using these TubiStyle muffler replacement pipes?
    ...and yes, an audition would be great.
    Regards, D.

10. Trabots

Trabots Formula Junior

May 15, 2011
    Perth, West Aust
    Full Name:
    Willy Stobart
    These are what came with the car. The car is actually ok inside it is probably too loud outside however. I have a couple of can styles to try, both 3inch in/out. I am also getting the Tubis enlarged to 3inch in with the same tips. I forgot to mention the overrun is fabulous. Mini explosions.

11. Playframe King

Playframe King Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2010
    UK
    Thats a fantastic fabrication - great job -thanks for sharing !!
    must be well loud !! - wouldnt meet the regs over here !
    great HP increase too - keep going !!
    regards
    ps - I have used straight through Borla boxes - worth a look for you?

12. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Willy,

Nice exhaust system! But I'm curious as to why you have those constrictions in the middle of your center straight pipes and insulation around the intermediate pipes.

Barry

13. Trabots

Trabots Formula Junior

May 15, 2011
    Perth, West Aust
    Full Name:
    Willy Stobart
    Barry,

All was well when the system was first installed however when it heated up it interfered with the manual gear shift linkage on the left side. I took it apart and using a ball peen hammer put a couple of small dents where I saw my heat tape had been rubbing. It was rubbing on the right side of the transaxle housing also. Not ideal but all was fine after that. The dents are small and the flow restriction must be marginal. There is enough room that a future cosmetic rebuild in those areas would have the pipes clearanced to allow for the expansion. I also am not that pleased with the slight lack of symmetry you can see in the under car image. Not bad for a 1st effort by my young stainless welder however. The whole system grows in length by around 10mm when hot. I guess I did a Ferrari with that primitive fix.

As the stock pipes have tin heat shields and I decided to play it safe and wrap the pipes after the resonators. There are no heat issues that I can see.

14. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #14 308 GTB, Apr 29, 2012
    Willy,

You might have some leeway with the slip joints to get your system symmetric.

That's true about the 1 cm growth of the system when hot. The tips don't stick out this far when my car isn't being used...

15. Trabots

Trabots Formula Junior

May 15, 2011
    Perth, West Aust
    Full Name:
    Willy Stobart
    The welder insisted on using V-band connectors which give nil adjustment. The advantage when everything is right is that they stay that way. They also allow quick removal of the exhaust system or part thereof. I purchased extra flanges so that in 10 minutes I will be able to change from Tubi tips to a muffler and I am installing on the factory cans so in a pinch I can pass a noise test if needed. You can see the connectors clearly at the rear of the cat deletes. I have them over the axle and also at the rear. Also as the system becomes rigid when the clamps are tightened I did not need the hanger assembly at the front and it seems the next ones at the side of the transmission are not really doing much either now.

I sure hope you try the big exhaust and pass a few 599s on your track days.

16. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Gotta have a sound byte! Have you avoided the buzzsaw sound?

17. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Gotta hear the sound. My Tubi doesn't seem all that loud from inside the car, but my wife tells me she knows I'm coming home 3 minutes before I get there.

18. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #18 308 GTB, Apr 29, 2012
    I've never seen any 599s on the track at events.

Right now, my 550 is set up with second generation Tubis and staright center pipes. It sounds like this in 5th gear at speed...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVbd_133hpk[/ame]

(4:50 6:16 7:58 and 9:48)

That's not a wall in the background in the picture below. That's the 31.5 degree banking!

19. Trabots

Trabots Formula Junior

May 15, 2011
    Perth, West Aust
    Full Name:
    Willy Stobart
    No buzz saw, no drone. The noise is a deeper than it was, sounds like a bigger engine. It may be awhile before I can let you hear it, I am away until Sept so the 575 will be asleep by June. You can easily converse while cruising. When cold with the high idle it is unsociable, in my mind. That is why I am trying some small cans. As you all know, it is easy to control the sound with the right foot once driving. I start the 575 and leave as quickly as I can and keep the revs low in higher gears until warmed up, just like the bikes.

20. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Which track is that Barry?
    A.

21. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Alfredo,

That's Daytona International Speedway.

Barry

22. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I have a 575. I run the x-pipe and standard tubi's. I was thinking about changing the headers. Does anyone make a racing header for the 575?

23. Matt@CampioniShop

BANNED

Jan 25, 2012
    #23 Matt@CampioniShop, Apr 30, 2012
    Yes sir!

These long tube headers need to be mounted with the 100 CPSI HJS catalytic converters from SuperSprint. The system is oversized at 2x60mm. We have 1 set in stock and are willing to pass along discounts on the catted system to get these objectively reviewed.

The full catted system was dyno tested on the SuperAmerica (540hp Euro) and showed gains from the standard 495whp to 541whp with no tune. By the dyno sheet, you can clearly see the bottleneck of the stock system is in the high RPM range - this is mainly due to the headers as they do not promote enough exhaust velocity for ultimate gains.

24. Trabots

Trabots Formula Junior

May 15, 2011
    Perth, West Aust
    Full Name:
    Willy Stobart
    The headers would be the ultimate final stage improvement to a 3inch exhaust. They will not however do all they can if they have to push the exhaust through undersized pipes. The gain will be largely only from losing the restriction of the primary cats. To get the full scavenging effect of headers you need to free up your exhaust. You should enlarge the pipes first. No hot rodder puts headers on a car with a factory exhaust. I know your x-pipes are not stock however they no doubt are still only 2 1/4 inch. 3inch pipes have 78% more flow area than 2 1/4inch. However those lovely headers combined with 3inch pipes would result in well over 600bhp on a 575 and make it as quick as a 599, except of course a 599 with 3inch pipes.

25. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Would those headers fit a 456 GT?