Would you Trade up to a 612. | FerrariChat

Would you Trade up to a 612.

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Patek, Apr 9, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Just wondered if any of the 456/550/575 crowd, of which I admit I love my 550, would buy a 612. If not, why. What is the biggest drawback.

Thanks,
    John

2. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    #2 Patek, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I plan on getting a 612 eventually, but I want a 360 first, just to have that mid-engine experience again.

The 612 is way more high tech than my 456M, and a better car in most ways according to those who should know. It has a very fast official lap time at Ferrari's test track too: Faster than a 456M and I think the 550 also. There is also much more room in the back for reasonably sized people (No fat butts though. lol). In only one way would I say the 456 is the clear winner, and that's in the looks department. The 456 is a very beautiful automobile, and the 612 just isn't as nice in my eyes.

Finally, it is larger than the 456 in every dimension but weight: It weighs less than a 456 by about a hundred pounds. Isn't it the largest car Ferrari has ever made?

If you're used to a 456 or 550 and get behind the wheel of a 612, you'll be instantly aware of how much more evolved it is.

Cheers,

George

4. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I have a 2007 F1 612 HGTC and love it. However, they are very hard to find in manual, and it is a very big car. Before "giving up" your 550 I would suggest you to test drive a 612. It may convince you one way or the other.
    Jes

5. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Thats a very nice color on your 550!

I would think the main reason to jump to a 612 would be if you needed the back seats. A manual car is very rare.

My understanding is that the Queen Mother is the longest Ferrari. I could be wrong though.

6. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    #6 Patek, Apr 9, 2013
  7. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I believe that distinction (at least in overall length) goes to the 365 GT 2+2. I looked at one last weekend at our car gathering, and the car is very long.

The 612 "in the wild" (i.e. on the road) is a very beautiful sight, with the covered headlamps, coves in the sides, etc. Very classy, as is a 456.

8. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    What would keep the 575 owners from going up to the 612. What is the down side for the car. Looks might be a possible key.

9. Eli355

Eli355 Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eli
    I consider the issue regularly. The back seat would no doubt be handy for going out with another couple. There is also the value. Dollars to dollars you can get a 2-3 year newer 612. I guess that says it all. IMHO the looks are the draw back. If it looked as good the would not be cheaper.

10. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Yes, I feel the looks make it a bit of a white elephant.

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- No way. The Maranello is much prettier to me, and it and the 612 have the same engine with manifolding and ECU changes. Plus do not need 4 seats

Might consider an HGTE 599, though, but luckily cannot afford one.

12. maxemus

maxemus Karting

Apr 25, 2009
    Miami, FL.
    Full Name:
    Ernie
    I agree with Taz. No comparison. If you do drive a 612 try the HGTC. I drove a 612 without one the other day and wasn't too impressed with the handling.
    Also, that back seat is not as big as you might think

13. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    That is true Terry.

14. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Keep your 550. It's gorgeous!!

15. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    #15 MoeD, Apr 10, 2013
    I have a manual 456M & upgraded to a 612 with an F1.

I have to admit- I'm getting used to the 612 and the F1

BUT

I realized that I'm not selling my 456.

It's not so much an upgrade as it is a very different experience.

Based on your discussion- The 612 is not an upgrade from a Maranello as much as it is a more natural progression from a 456. I'd keep the Maranello unless you were moving to a 599, while 456 owners can consider a 612-- That only makes sense.

The 612's looks never appealed to me in photos & the first one I saw when it came out was silver & I thought it was so bland, it turned me off- I eagerly anticipated the car & what a let down. I avoided it for years & waited for the FF (which I plan to own when the price falls & leaves me enough leftover loose change to cut that roof- another subject entirely).

Years later I realize, that for me anyway, silver was the wrong color for the car, other colors do show off the lines of the car rather nicely and in person the looks really do look stupendous in some colors, as well as very elegant and classy in nature. We all know that every design looks better in certain color iterations.

I get compliments on my 456 often because of its fine condition, but people have come up to me often stating how much nicer the 612 looks- to my surprise actually. One parking attendant even commented '100% better', and this is a guy who really likes my 456.

I bought the 612 HGT handling package, it just arrived and I haven't installed it yet, but I am running larger wheels & tires than OE and I've pushed the car hard and can't imagine it handling any better, but we will soon see. Gobs of power, nice firm ride, comfortable and practical, and handling that belies its size. The 612's a Great car and I've grown sorry I ignored it for so long, but more of a different car than a replacement the last generation of Ferrari.

The most significant comment I can make is that I'm not impressed with the F1 over Ferrari's heralded gated shifter. The F1 is faster but def not as fun, which for most of us, is as highly regarded a quotient in a sports car as speed, and there are shades of control and involvement in the process you have with a stick that you just don't have with an F1. Again, in my opinion, - as I'm still exploring the F1 experience, but I've read and heard similar comment.

The 456 manual seems to be the perfect size/combo of sport and 2+2, it may never be worth a lot- but I'm not letting go. I also think the Maranello is a Great all time Ferrari that did everything it was supposed to and more. I'd own one and I don't advise anyone should consider trading one unless he's truly sure he's had enough of it and wants something new & different, rather than feeling he's upgrading.

My personal feeling is that over the years there is evolution/upgrade, and then there's change.

The newer cars represent change more than evolution. The 456/550/575 for me are the end of an era. Change is Good and perhaps way more competent, but what we had before was really Good too and a lot of fun.

So I decided to keep both...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

uberlink likes this.
  16. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I see what you mean.

17. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I think I'd be kicking myself in the ass for trading that 550 for a 612.

18. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I went from a 456GT to a 612. For me, the 612 is better in every way.

19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Don- You also got an OTO with Superfast F1 system, 599 dual plate clutch and transmission case, and manettino on the steering wheel. Big difference between the early 612s and the Sessanta/OTO. Early and Sessanta/OTO 612s are all great cars, however, with the first aluminum chassis for a V12, a return to the superior shim adjustable suspension, and much more modern interiors. Plus they have all been as bullet-proof as the 575M, with more power and more room.

I like the 612, but I love the styling of the Maranellos. Would love to have an OTO drivetrain in my Maranello.

20. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yes, thanks! The 612 is not the largest in overall length, but in wheelbase. I've seen 612's in the flesh and they are actually strange looking to me from the side because the front wheels are way out in front of the engine! Next time you see a side shot of a 612, stop to ponder the length of the wheelbase. It spans time zones. In black, they are the Ferrari Batmobiles.

Cheers,

George

21. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Just noticed your post. Very good and I agree about the looks; I too was disappointed in the 612 at first, but it's grown on me over time. Still, not nearly as crushed as I was when I first saw the FF. I may have to skip that generation of 2+2 entirely.

I'm one of those guys who is looking forward to the change that next generation involves, though. I know if I kept my 456M when I got a 612, I'd drive the 612 all the time. However, keeping the 456M and getting a 360 stick would be fantastic. Unfortunately, I'm not that fortunate. :)

Cheers,

George

22. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Nope !

cheers,

Bill

23. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I traded my 575 for a 612 back in 2006, and always regretted not keeping the 575 as well. For me, the four seater Ferrari thing bugged me as the 612, fast and capable as she was, wasn't 'racy' enough, so I bought other cars to have alongside her, 360, 430, Aston vantage, Lamborghini etc.

Sold them all over the years, and last year, traded 612 for a 599, and I haven't looked back because I don't really have need for the 4 seats, but like the 'racy' side of the cars

24. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    I'm wondering why you didn't go straight from the 575 to the 599- Isn't that the natural progression?

Seems like you ended up there anyways.

How are you liking your 599 experience vs. the 612?

25. Mr Mezzanotte

Mr Mezzanotte Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    I was disappointed in the extra space (or lack of) in the back of the 612 Vs the 456GT - yes there's more headroom, but not much more in terms of legroom - its still a 2+2. Looking at it, the seats on the 612 seemed so much thicker than 456GT seats, and I think that's why the legroom isn't much better.

I'm been tempted to keep the 456GT until the FF comes down to where the 612 is now.
    Suspect me 456GT will be worth £10k by then!