550 electrical problem | FerrariChat

550 electrical problem

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by simchanova, May 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    ... Hey all!... Hope everyone had a great memori day weekend!... Had my 550 out last and this weekend ... Car is fabulous but I am having an electrical problem... When I get in the car when it is cold everything works fine but when I run it for awhile (drive longer distances and totally warmed up) the wipers, turn signals, and gas door switch do not work... When this first happened last weekend when I was coming home ( in the rain no less!) I chalked it off to some bad fuse... I parked the car and came back this weekend, pulled the car out of the garage and everything worked perfect when cold... After running car for about 45 minutes those three items did not work... All fuses ok... ANY IDEA OF WHAT IS CAUSING THIS?, thanks !, stuart

2. simchanova

Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Thanks... In thread someone refers to battery disconnect and letting e I do the work... Where is battery disconnect?...also I washed my car the day before too and when I got in NEXT day all was fine initially till I drive car for about an hour... I will have that inertia switch checked

3. bay

bay Formula 3

Mar 13, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bernard
  4. maranello72

maranello72 Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2009
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    It's that round knob in front of the right bonnet hinge, next to the water tank.
    But I doubt that'll cure the problem....

Stefano

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Stuart- Download a 550 owners manual and workshop manual for free from ferraridatabase.com. Will help with a lot of questions on your 550.

6. simchanova

Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Thanks taz, will do, may be a circuit board problem as wipers turn signals and gas door open when not started for a few days... Going to trace it with my mechanic who is also y friend , he works with these problems all the time

7. Trombino

Trombino Rookie

Dec 1, 2005
    East Greenwich, RI
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Did you ever get the no signal, no wiper, no fuel door switch problem resolved? I've run into the same problems on my 2000 550.

Any info on the resolution would help.

Thanks, steve

8. simchanova

Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Taking in this week... May be ecu stuff

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Fusebox! If still works cold and not hot try this. Open fusebox door and leave in down open position. Drive car get it hot and then see if those parts still work. Then report back here.

10. Trombino

Trombino Rookie

Dec 1, 2005
    East Greenwich, RI
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Prior to fatbillybob's suggestion, I tried the following:

1. Disconnect battery with switch under hood and wait about 1 hour
    2. Reconnect battery with same switch
    3. Inserted key and turned to second position and waited about 20 seconds

Still no function of turn signal, wiper, fuel door, and TEMP EXT reads dashes. Toggled the dome light switches to see if they worked, and heard relay click from open fuse box under passenger footwell. Turn signal, fuel door and TEMP EXT working!

Had lunch, then returned to car with same problem - no turn signal/wiper/fuel door/TEMP EXT reads dashes!

11. simchanova

Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Hi fatbillybob...did you end up replacing your fusebox?... What did you do to solve it... I have no turn signals, wipers, fuel door, AND AIR CONDITIONER whether car is hot or from a cold start...I am taking car in Friday ... I have been on a thread about water in ecu's and poor connections with them... Do you think this is part of the problem( haven't gotten my car wet I. A while though, thanks stuart

12. RWebber

RWebber Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2013
    Grasslands, USA
    Full Name:
    R Webber
  13. Trombino

Trombino Rookie

Dec 1, 2005
    East Greenwich, RI
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #14 Trombino, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    If you decide to replace the fusebox, check with Dave Helms at SRI.

see: Innovations - Solutions - Scuderia Rampante

He manufactured a fuse box for my '95 456GT; probably could make one for you.

15. Trombino

Trombino Rookie

Dec 1, 2005
    East Greenwich, RI
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Here's what worked for me:
    1. ECU connector in passenger footwell had no signs of water/corrosion, so I carefully reseated/reconnected it.
    2. Turned battery switch on to connect battery, waited about 30 seconds with key inserted into ignition (but not turned to either the 1 or 2 position).
    3. Turned key to the 1 position and waited for CHECK OK.
    4. Once CHECK OK extinguished, turned key to 2 position to try and start engine, but nothing (no starter, acted as if alarm system had disabled ignition, similar to timeout after unlocking doors/disabling alarm, but noticed turn signal/wipers/fuel door switch/EXT TEMP all worked.
    5. Locked doors with black key remote, which took several attempts, then unlocked with remote.
    6. Car started with all functions.

Will drive for next few days to see if reseating ECU connector is a lasting fix.

16. Trombino

Trombino Rookie

Dec 1, 2005
    East Greenwich, RI
    Full Name:
    Steve
    simchova,
    Just to clarify, I had no turn signal, wipers, fuel door switch, EXT TEMP, and NO AC CONTROLs. Could have been other circuits out, but these are the ones that were not working for certain.

Also, after reseating the ECU connector and driving, I tested the lights and noticed that the high beams were not working (no high beams and no blue high beam light symbol on dashboard). Since I had the fuse box open, I removed the relay labeled DIPPED BEAM, inspected it (no signs of corrosion or physical damage to the pins), then re-installed, and the high beams now work.

There are several of these relays with the same BOSCH part number 0 332 019 103 in the 550 fuse box, so I'll probably purchase a couple of extra to keep around. This relay is rated for 12V, 50A, 150K cycles, and is available for less than $10 at TheElectricalDepot.com!, Electrical Connectors and Much More!. Paid $58 for same part 4 years ago through dealer (as part of service for ENGINE and SLOW DOWN light flashing) to replace a bad RH BANK FUEL PUMP relay.

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Steve- Did this happen after the battery was disconnected? Some of those symptoms sound like that was a possibility.

18. Trombino

Trombino Rookie

Dec 1, 2005
    East Greenwich, RI
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #19 Trombino, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Terry,
    No, the problem occurred when I went to drive the car recently. Normally the car is stored in a temp. controlled garage on a Battery Tender trickle charger. It's a 2000 550M with ~6K miles, and this was the first time I've driven it in several months. Initially I only noticed some weird TEMP EXT readings, like -47 F (it's around 77 F outside), before TEMP EXT displayed only dashes. I then noticed the other problems. So based on one of the FerrariChat threads, I disconnected the car battery with the switch and reseated the ECU connector.

Today all of the previously mentioned functions again failed after a short drive, but since I hadn't closed the fuse box I started jiggling the relays one at a time with the key turned to the 1 position (so I could hear the AC fan if it started) with the engine off. When I jiggled the UNDER KEY relay, which was warm to the touch, the signals/wiper/fuel door/TEMP EXT/AC fan started working. I removed it and bent one of the pins in the direction that seemed to make it work (see attached photo).

I count 13 of these BOSCH relays with the same part number 0 332 019 103 in the fuse box. Since I've Googled an inexpensive supplier (~$10, in my previous reply to Simchanova) for this part, I'm going to purchase a couple and swap out the offending relay if the problem reoccurs. If the problem continues to persist, I'll have the dealer look at it during the next service.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Sorry my above WAG statements were based on your OP and were a quick easy no effort thing to try. But do not apply with your new report which contradicts each other.

<<"When I get in the car when it is cold everything works fine but when I run it for awhile (drive longer distances and totally warmed up) the wipers, turn signals, and gas door switch do not work.">>

Your conditions have changed and the troubleshooting is different. You would start at fuses/relays. Then see if power was getting out of the fuse box to say the turn signals. Yes would mean one thing and no points to the circuits in the fuse box or further up stream. Power up stream of the fuse box condemns the fusebox. You look back and grounds the same way and just reason it out and hope the fix is easy. If you say have no power coming out the fusebox on signals, wipers and A/C and maybe even have a serial communication failure at the obd2 port (because no power to the A/C system messes with the feedback the motronic is looking for via the CANbus) that would point to the fusebox for me.

20. simchanova

Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Thanks billybob!... And to everyone else on this thread... Tommorow it goes in shop to my mechanic/FRIEND who is outstanding!...I will keep all posted...I will be attending tributo New York on the 23-24 if anyone else is going

21. philfrench

philfrench Karting

Jan 3, 2012
    France
    Hello
    Can you tell me exactly what was wrong with your fuse box?I have no door neither dome lights when i open the doors,i think it might come from the fuse plate ,oxydation?
    Can you give me the price of your new one because i think we can add -fuse box exchange-
    to the next major.My 456M is a 2000 and 66mkm
    Thanks
    Regards Phil

22. simchanova

Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Bad Bosch relay!...fusebox and ecu's perfect...what a place to put a fusebox-right where it can get drenched!...

23. peter seow

peter seow Karting

Oct 9, 2015
    KL
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks to trombino I tracked it was relay n as what was mentioned however it may not be a bad relay it might be a connection issue to the relay I will open up the fuse box to inspect when I have time...

I am still in the process of making the car lighter by 700g today.

These I was busy but found another Ferrari at fantastic price so I bought another

24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I wouldn't bother looking any further for now. The relays are trash and it is not limited to the Bosch brand either. It has come to be a very common problem with any of the mini or micro relays. I have a box of 30 year old Bosch relays that are all still good and came out of cars with far more use that the relays I am replacing. With any multi component failure it is the first place I look and I am rarely disappointed.