Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 456/550/575 - Sponsored by Bradan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Stuart
Talking 550 electrical problem

... Hey all!... Hope everyone had a great memori day weekend!... Had my 550 out last and this weekend ... Car is fabulous but I am having an electrical problem... When I get in the car when it is cold everything works fine but when I run it for awhile (drive longer distances and totally warmed up) the wipers, turn signals, and gas door switch do not work... When this first happened last weekend when I was coming home ( in the rain no less!) I chalked it off to some bad fuse... I parked the car and came back this weekend, pulled the car out of the garage and everything worked perfect when cold... After running car for about 45 minutes those three items did not work... All fuses ok... ANY IDEA OF WHAT IS CAUSING THIS?, thanks !, stuart
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-28-2013, 12:52 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Bernard
Exclamation

Look and see this problem :
550 Flasher lamps / Fuel inertia switch failure - FerrariChat.com

FerrariChat.com - View Single Post - 550 Flasher lamps / Fuel inertia switch failure
Old 05-28-2013, 04:43 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Talking Thanks!, battery disconnect?

Thanks... In thread someone refers to battery disconnect and letting e I do the work... Where is battery disconnect?...also I washed my car the day before too and when I got in NEXT day all was fine initially till I drive car for about an hour... I will have that inertia switch checked
Old 05-28-2013, 06:25 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Bernard
Exclamation

163675 SWITCH/INTERNAL -> 163675 SWITCH/INTERNAL : Ricambi America
Old 05-28-2013, 07:43 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Stefano
Quote:
Originally Posted by simchanova View Post
Thanks... In thread someone refers to battery disconnect and letting e I do the work... Where is battery disconnect?...also I washed my car the day before too and when I got in NEXT day all was fine initially till I drive car for about an hour... I will have that inertia switch checked
It's that round knob in front of the right bonnet hinge, next to the water tank.
But I doubt that'll cure the problem....

Stefano
Old 05-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: Terry H Phillips
Stuart- Download a 550 owners manual and workshop manual for free from ferraridatabase.com. Will help with a lot of questions on your 550.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Talking Thanks

Thanks taz, will do, may be a circuit board problem as wipers turn signals and gas door open when not started for a few days... Going to trace it with my mechanic who is also y friend , he works with these problems all the time
Old 07-30-2013, 11:48 AM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Steve
No turn signal, wiper, fuel door open switch

Did you ever get the no signal, no wiper, no fuel door switch problem resolved? I've run into the same problems on my 2000 550.

Any info on the resolution would help.

Thanks, steve
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 07-30-2013, 01:42 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

550 electrical problem

Taking in this week... May be ecu stuff
Old 07-30-2013, 02:34 PM
F1 World Champ
Consultant

Fusebox! If still works cold and not hot try this. Open fusebox door and leave in down open position. Drive car get it hot and then see if those parts still work. Then report back here.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:08 AM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

No turn signal, wiper, fuel door, TEMP EXT reads dashes

Prior to fatbillybob's suggestion, I tried the following:

1. Disconnect battery with switch under hood and wait about 1 hour
2. Reconnect battery with same switch
3. Inserted key and turned to second position and waited about 20 seconds

Still no function of turn signal, wiper, fuel door, and TEMP EXT reads dashes. Toggled the dome light switches to see if they worked, and heard relay click from open fuse box under passenger footwell. Turn signal, fuel door and TEMP EXT working!

Had lunch, then returned to car with same problem - no turn signal/wiper/fuel door/TEMP EXT reads dashes!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:28 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Talking 550 electrical problems

Hi fatbillybob...did you end up replacing your fusebox?... What did you do to solve it... I have no turn signals, wipers, fuel door, AND AIR CONDITIONER whether car is hot or from a cold start...I am taking car in Friday ... I have been on a thread about water in ecu's and poor connections with them... Do you think this is part of the problem( haven't gotten my car wet I. A while though, thanks stuart
Old 07-31-2013, 10:05 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: R Webber
Do Not wash

Quote:
Thanks...
...also I washed my car the day before too and when I got in NEXT day all was fine initially till I drive car for about an hour...
This could be a serious clue, read this thread

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/456...hing-guys.html
Old 07-31-2013, 02:10 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

No turn signal,wiper, fuel cap switch

Looked at ECU connector on right side of passenger footwell and no signs of water or corrosion on cable harness or ECU pins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (45.7 KB, 370 views)
Old 07-31-2013, 03:40 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Hi fatbillybob...did you end up replacing your fusebox?... What did you do to solve it... I have no turn signals, wipers, fuel door, AND AIR CONDITIONER whether car is hot or from a cold start...I am taking car in Friday ... I have been on a thread about water in ecu's and poor connections with them... Do you think this is part of the problem( haven't gotten my car wet I. A while though, thanks stuart
If you decide to replace the fusebox, check with Dave Helms at SRI.

see: Innovations - Solutions - Scuderia Rampante

He manufactured a fuse box for my '95 456GT; probably could make one for you.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

No turn signal, wipers, fuel door switch, EXT TEMP

Here's what worked for me:
1. ECU connector in passenger footwell had no signs of water/corrosion, so I carefully reseated/reconnected it.
2. Turned battery switch on to connect battery, waited about 30 seconds with key inserted into ignition (but not turned to either the 1 or 2 position).
3. Turned key to the 1 position and waited for CHECK OK.
4. Once CHECK OK extinguished, turned key to 2 position to try and start engine, but nothing (no starter, acted as if alarm system had disabled ignition, similar to timeout after unlocking doors/disabling alarm, but noticed turn signal/wipers/fuel door switch/EXT TEMP all worked.
5. Locked doors with black key remote, which took several attempts, then unlocked with remote.
6. Car started with all functions.

Will drive for next few days to see if reseating ECU connector is a lasting fix.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 08-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

no turn signal, wipers, fuel door switch, EXT TEMP, and NO AC CONTROLs

simchova,
Just to clarify, I had no turn signal, wipers, fuel door switch, EXT TEMP, and NO AC CONTROLs. Could have been other circuits out, but these are the ones that were not working for certain.

Also, after reseating the ECU connector and driving, I tested the lights and noticed that the high beams were not working (no high beams and no blue high beam light symbol on dashboard). Since I had the fuse box open, I removed the relay labeled DIPPED BEAM, inspected it (no signs of corrosion or physical damage to the pins), then re-installed, and the high beams now work.

There are several of these relays with the same BOSCH part number 0 332 019 103 in the 550 fuse box, so I'll probably purchase a couple of extra to keep around. This relay is rated for 12V, 50A, 150K cycles, and is available for less than $10 at TheElectricalDepot.com!, Electrical Connectors and Much More!. Paid $58 for same part 4 years ago through dealer (as part of service for ENGINE and SLOW DOWN light flashing) to replace a bad RH BANK FUEL PUMP relay.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: Terry H Phillips
Steve- Did this happen after the battery was disconnected? Some of those symptoms sound like that was a possibility.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

No turn signals, wiper, fuel door switch, TEMP EXT, AC fan

Terry,
No, the problem occurred when I went to drive the car recently. Normally the car is stored in a temp. controlled garage on a Battery Tender trickle charger. It's a 2000 550M with ~6K miles, and this was the first time I've driven it in several months. Initially I only noticed some weird TEMP EXT readings, like -47 F (it's around 77 F outside), before TEMP EXT displayed only dashes. I then noticed the other problems. So based on one of the FerrariChat threads, I disconnected the car battery with the switch and reseated the ECU connector.

Today all of the previously mentioned functions again failed after a short drive, but since I hadn't closed the fuse box I started jiggling the relays one at a time with the key turned to the 1 position (so I could hear the AC fan if it started) with the engine off. When I jiggled the UNDER KEY relay, which was warm to the touch, the signals/wiper/fuel door/TEMP EXT/AC fan started working. I removed it and bent one of the pins in the direction that seemed to make it work (see attached photo).

I count 13 of these BOSCH relays with the same part number 0 332 019 103 in the fuse box. Since I've Googled an inexpensive supplier (~$10, in my previous reply to Simchanova) for this part, I'm going to purchase a couple and swap out the offending relay if the problem reoccurs. If the problem continues to persist, I'll have the dealer look at it during the next service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0901.jpg (32.1 KB, 290 views)
Old 08-01-2013, 06:26 PM
F1 World Champ
Consultant

Quote:
Hi fatbillybob. I have no turn signals, wipers, fuel door, AND AIR CONDITIONER whether car is hot or from a cold start
Sorry my above WAG statements were based on your OP and were a quick easy no effort thing to try. But do not apply with your new report which contradicts each other.

<<"When I get in the car when it is cold everything works fine but when I run it for awhile (drive longer distances and totally warmed up) the wipers, turn signals, and gas door switch do not work.">>

Your conditions have changed and the troubleshooting is different. You would start at fuses/relays. Then see if power was getting out of the fuse box to say the turn signals. Yes would mean one thing and no points to the circuits in the fuse box or further up stream. Power up stream of the fuse box condemns the fusebox. You look back and grounds the same way and just reason it out and hope the fix is easy. If you say have no power coming out the fusebox on signals, wipers and A/C and maybe even have a serial communication failure at the obd2 port (because no power to the A/C system messes with the feedback the motronic is looking for via the CANbus) that would point to the fusebox for me.