Recommended Battery Charger | FerrariChat

Recommended Battery Charger

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by rgm35, Jun 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rgm35

rgm35 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    Valley Forge, Naples
    Full Name:
    Rick
    My 2002 575 is sitting in Florida while I'm in Pennsylvania for the summer. In past years I would drive the car north on golf trips or fly down to drive our cars and check on the house. This summer I just can't find the time so I am looking for advice on battery chargers. CTEK seems to be a popular choice in this forum but I am unfamiliar with these items and I am looking for advice on which type and model to purchase. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, do you turn the battery switch off when connecting the charger?? As you can tell I've never used an item of this nature and apologize for my ignorance.

Thank you.

2. Scalper

Scalper Rookie

Apr 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Full Name:
    Enrico
    I've used different models throughout the years, and if it's just to maintain the battery healthy and fully charged they are all good.
    If however you need to revive a large discharged battery then you need one of their more powerful models.

I myself do not turn off the battery switch because the satellite alarm is also connected to it. But if you don't mind resetting your radio when you get back to the car there's nothing wrong with turning it off.

3. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I've been using a c-tek charger that I bought off ebay for several years and it has kept my battery properly charged over months of non-use. The model I bought seems to have been superseded by newer designs but the principle is the same. Official Ferrari and Porsche battery tenders are re-badged cteks.

Because the accessory plug (cigar lighter) is always hot in the 456M, even with the ignition off, I can use the Ctek cigar lighter adapter to keep the battery charged. That way, I don't have to open the hood when I want to take the car out. I just turn the ctek to the off position, open the door, pull out the plug, leave it on the garage floor, and go. I don't know if that's true of all 456/550/575 models.

4. MotoMeccanica

MotoMeccanica Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    Calgary Alberta
    I have a CTEK 3300 charger/maintainer, it is perfect. I have the jumper harness connected to the battery, so I just have to unplug, put hood down, drive off. They do come with alligator clips if you don't want to attach the jumper harness.

It is completely worry free. You can leave them on for months and not worry about it.

Scott

5. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    The 575's lighter is not always hot. I highly recommend the ctek.

6. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I had my mechanic run the quick plug lead out the front. It's awesome, I'll post pics in a bit.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    12 VOLT 50 WATT Vehicle Battery Charger, Maintainer and tester w/Deep Cycle

I have sold, installed, used and thrown away hundreds of battery tenders. This is the best one made. It is made as a sideline by a guy in the electronics industry who has lots of cars and motorcycles and knows not only what we need but also how best to keep our batteries alive.

I buy them by the case.

Look at the site. There are lots of options.

I also feel using the cigar lighter socket is a bad idea.

8. DWG

DWG Karting

Sep 26, 2013
    Porter Ranch,CA
    Full Name:
    Greg Groom

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

10. DWG

DWG Karting

Sep 26, 2013
    Porter Ranch,CA
    Full Name:
    Greg Groom

11. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Brian, I really respect your opinion and, since I seem to be the only guy using the cigar lighter and it's worked great for years, I'd like to know what you see the potential hazards are and why. thanks.

12. AKINSB

AKINSB Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2013
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Alex K
    I use a ctek hard wired on passenger side into fuse panel of my 456 with a quick release. Has worked perfectly for 1.5 years.

Best

AK

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Load should never but occasionally does exceede the capacity of the socket and wiring for the lighter. I have repaired a couple of cars for this. It only happens when something goes wrong but things do go wrong. Sadly one was a pristine 275 GTB4 and it melted the socket and a piece of the otherwise perfect harness.

I really prefer to use a quick disconnect jumper most of the chargers come with attached to the battery or one of the several battery cable junction blocks in the car.

14. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Thanks for the heads up.

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- Is he sure about that humidity range? That already makes it unusable here and in half the states in the South and Southwest.

16. rgm35

rgm35 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    Valley Forge, Naples
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Thank you all for the replies but in particular to you Brian. With your recommendation I'm just ordering the 12 Volt 50 Watt Battery Charger from Battery Saver.

One question though:

The two options for the cables I am considering are the Battery Lug Cables or the Alligator Clip-On Cables. I'm assuming the Clip-On cables would be much easier for me to use as I would not have to remove the existing cables from the battery. I just want to make certain that is the case and that the Alligator Clip-On cables will do the job.

Thank you.

Rick

17. DWG

DWG Karting

Sep 26, 2013
    Porter Ranch,CA
    Full Name:
    Greg Groom
    Looks like Brian's recommendation sold at least 2 Battery Savers.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That does seem low. Never saw it. If you're interested call and ask.

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Like most others it comes with both. I'd put the ones with the ring ends on the car you intend to use it on most and save the clip on lead for other cars.

20. rgm35

rgm35 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    Valley Forge, Naples
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Thank you Brian.

Rick

21. rgm35

rgm35 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    Valley Forge, Naples
    Full Name:
    Rick
    So I have yet to get to Naples to drive my 575 and I have now been informed that the battery is to low to start the car. I today ordered the battery charger recommended by Brian Crall and it should be there by next week when I expect to arrive.

Questions:

1. With the battery so low do I need to turn the battery switch to off prior to hooking up the charger??

2, Assuming I do NOT need to turn the battery switch to off do I merely attached the cables, plug in the charger and turn it on leaving it on until the battery is charged enough to start the car??

These questions may seem hilarious to most of you as they make me laugh as well but I'd rather know the proper technique than cause unnecessary damage to the car. As always, thanks in advance for your help.

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rick- With a very low battery, you are best off to disconnect the battery with the switch and use a full size charger to see if she will take a charge. Once fully charged, you can reconnect and use the maintainer to keep her charged. Unfortunately, if she has a conventional lead-acid battery, getting too low on charge can do damage to the battery, so consider getting a new one if she shows the slightest hesitation.

No problem with plugging in the maintainer while the battery is connected if you want to try and see if she will charge it. Many will not if the battery is too low, but I am not sure about the one Brian was recommending.

23. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    My tech set up a plug by the battery.

Problem is don't get much of a chance to use it, always driving my car :)

cheers

24. rgm35

rgm35 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    Valley Forge, Naples
    Full Name:
    Rick
    As always thank you Terry. It may be time to replace the battery as it's probably 2 to 3 years old and they generally don't last much more than that in the high heat of southwest Florida.

Bill, I normally put roughly 9,000 miles a year on my 575. This year somewhat lower as I haven't had time to drive it up from Florida. As you can tell from my post I never used a battery maintainer before.

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rick- I never use mine unless she will not be driven for over two weeks. Normally she is driven 2-4 times a week, so the battery stays charged pretty well.