Mystery Sound | FerrariChat

Mystery Sound

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Cqivchan, Jul 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cqivchan

Cqivchan Rookie

Oct 13, 2011
    My 2004 575M has recently developed an interesting new quirk. There is what sounds like a continuous high speed clicking noise coming from behind the right headlight. Obviously only evident when the car is shut off, but was even audible this morning at cars and coffee outdoors with road noise, etc. I originally thought it was electrical, and it may be, but it does not stop when the battery is disconnected. I also have thought it might be a pressure leak of some sort, but it does not subside. Has been evident for several weeks. Any thoughts? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Charlie

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Is it possible a rattlesnake has taken up residence ?

3. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    And it is not metal "pinking" as it cools?

4. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    Alarm siren acting up? On the 550 at least, it's under the right headlight and has its own backup battery. Not sure if it's the same on the 575.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Same location on the 575. The alarm siren is hot wired to the battery so it charges continuously when required. Even the battery disconnect switch does not shut off that charging circuit. Would not think anything in there would click, but once those rechargeable batteries start leaking, who knows? Is your alarm LED working normally and going off about 6 seconds after being disarmed and the ignition switch being turned on?

6. Cqivchan

Cqivchan Rookie

Oct 13, 2011
    Thanks, Gents...

I have checked for rattlesnakes, and large crickets, even mice sending morse code... As for cooling, the noise is there after the car has been shut down for two weeks... So I think it is cool... As for the alarm battery, I will chase that possibility, as the sound continues even when the battery cables are disconnected. That would also explain why it does not appear to discharge the battery.

Thanks very much for the suggestions! I will report back.

Charlie

7. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Record it with a video and post it - this way you will use the collective knowledge and experience of all the members.

8. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Well I'm out of suggestions now

9. Cqivchan

Cqivchan Rookie

Oct 13, 2011
    Taz,

As I have been out of town, I have just now had the chance to test the alarm function as you suggest. I cycled it several times, and it appears to be arming and disarming normally. And, the ticking continues. Do you have any suggestions for and/or experience in accessing the alarm to examine the back up battery? I think that is probably the next step.

Charlie

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Charlie- If it is working normally, the battery is likely ok. Only way to get the batteries out is to cut open the siren, so I would not bother.

Trying to think what could be up there since it sounds like a valve cycling under residual pressure or vacuum.

11. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    Try removing the alarm siren from the car and see if the noise follows it. It's pretty easy- remove the right headlight (easy) and unplug and remove the siren.

12. Cqivchan

Cqivchan Rookie

Oct 13, 2011
    A bit more definition of the problem. Before removing the headlight and the siren as Tom recommended, I today tried the alarm cycles again. This time, when disarming to start the car, the light goes out after turning the ignition on, but in a few seconds the light returns and stays on, solid. Testing various modes also showed that the siren is not sounding at all, although in panic mode, for example, the lights flash when activated as they should. So it is fairly clear that the problem is indeed in the alarm, and seems more specifically in the siren. I looked in the alarm manual, but did not see malfunction information. Further suggestions will be appreciated. Unfortunately I do not have access to a workshop manual...

13. Cqivchan

Cqivchan Rookie

Oct 13, 2011
    I have now reviewed a couple of the alarm malfunction threads. So it appears replacement is in order. There seemed to be some debate as to whether the GM replacement was appropriate for the 575M. Any firm opinions? Thanks.

Charlie

14. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Charlie, don't know about a firm opinion but I'll give you one opinion.
    If you don't mind that the alarm may not sound, working flashing lights only and turning the dash light off, the Vette piece is fine. Looks and fits identical. It will chirp when turning on and off but the sound seems to end there. And it will save you money. There was some talk about availability but maybe that's been cleared up.
    Personally I don't use my alarm so killing the dash light makes me happy. Whether I'd replace my Vette alarm with a factory piece would probably be determined by budget at time of need.

Bill
    FL

15. Cqivchan

Cqivchan Rookie

Oct 13, 2011
    Thanks, Bill... I think that frames the options well. I will proceed accordingly.

Thanks again to all for your help!

Charlie

16. Cqivchan

Cqivchan Rookie

Oct 13, 2011
    Gentlemen,

I have now removed the headlight and was able to reach in and unplug the siren, which stopped the ticking sound... So as I am about to purchase a new siren module, I just wanted to confirm agreement, from your collective experience, that replacement will probably solve the issue. Thanks.

Charlie

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Charlie- Mine does not tick, so I doubt yours will either when replaced. Your batteries undoutedly leaked, creating a short in there somewhere that heated and cooled or connected and disconnected, making the sound you heard. Since that charging system is hot wired around the battery disconnect switch, it would always be powered unless you disconnected the battery ground strap.

When you replace the siren, you can cut open the old one and see what was happening.

18. Cqivchan

Cqivchan Rookie

Oct 13, 2011
    Taz, As I am in process of replacing, I have read other threads about the Corvette alternative. Any final verdict on it's operation in later 575's?

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    For most, everything works normally except the alarm does not set off the siren. You get all the opening and locking beeps and the LED is fixed, but no big alarm sound. Which, incidentally, is not all that loud in the first place.

20. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I wish we could up-vote comments here. This is a perfect example why.

Cheers,

George

21. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #21 308 GTB, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. Cqivchan

Cqivchan Rookie

Oct 13, 2011
    Straight from "Q" branch...

23. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    ;)

24. Cqivchan

Cqivchan Rookie

Oct 13, 2011
    Just thought I would post the resolution of my alarm problem.

I did indeed find that the ticking was the alarm as the batteries died, and leaked inside the siren module. After removing it from the car, I took it to my local Interstate battery store, where they disassembled it to examine the condition of the batteries. They discovered that they had in fact leaked considerably, and that the circuit board was damaged as a result. Had that not been the case, they would have replaced the batteries and reassembled the unit for $29.95. So, for anyone whose alarm has quit, but not reached the point of disintegration, this might be a real alternative. I may, in fact, still take my old one and have it rebuilt just to see if indeed the leakage ruined the board or not. If I do, I will share the results.

In my case, and in fact due probably to my impatience, I purchased a new siren from Ricambi, and installed it. Problem solved, and no sacrifice of functionality.

As always, thank you again for your generous assistance...

Charlie

25. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I'm happy to hear your problem's been solved, Charlie.

Perhaps a new siren module can be modified to have the battery mounted externally. This way when the battery fails, it can be easilly replaced. And there won't be any leakage to damage the circuit board.

Barry