Fob Attack | FerrariChat

Fob Attack

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by tazandjan, Jul 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Took the 575M down to the fly shop to pick up some leaders for a future fly fishing trip. Pulled in where they had been located and it was now some kind of social services office. Went back to the Ferrari and pushed the fob button and nothing. After a few attempts, opened the door with the key and, naturally, that set off the alarm. Tried the fob again from inside, but nothing. Now the batttery is powering the alarm and flashing lights.

Called wife and she brought down the other two fobs. Tried the red one first and it worked on the first button push. Started right up since the battery is the good old MTP-91 from Interstate.

Got her home and took the fob apart. Nothing wrong with the battery, but the battery's weight had pushed the contacts apart from the motion of being carried in my pocket every day. Pushed the contacts together, put in a new battery (why not, have a dozen or so), and she worked fine after a couple of button pushes to get the rolling code synchronized from all the times I had pushed it.

Lesson learned, carry a small screwdriver and a spare battery in the glove box. I am really faithful about changing the fob batteries (all three fobs) every year on New Year's Day. Looks like I need to add checking the contacts at a more frequent rate on the one in my pocket. First time she is hard to get to activate, apart she comes for a contact chack.

2. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You need the FHP remote battery contacts. ;)

3. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- Mine are the FHP contacts. Should have upgraded to the HGTC contacts.

4. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Skunkworks solved that problem long ago, our factory fobs are hardwired into the car's electrical system.

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- That would do it, ok.

6. 575 Maranello

575 Maranello Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2013
    So Cal
    Guys we really really really really need to find a way to disable this stupid alarm / immobilizer permanently.

7. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    YES, please! The alarm is absolutely pointless.

8. chrismic

chrismic Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2012
    A good reminder that I never should embark on a massive roadtrip again with one fob only....

Dave: do you have those fobs for Euro cars as well? (And by the way, installation of your special steering ECU was successful...great to have it -many thanks to you and John)

9. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
  10. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Here's a post about what we did. You can see the original factory fob. The other stuff is the receiver, garage door opener, relay for the trunk opener circuit, antenna, and a voltage converter.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/141572638-post28.html

All of those are hard wired to the cars' battery so they need no attention.

BTW, the receiver and remotes we used are european frequency.

11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I can't wait until FBB chimes in on this.

:D

12. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    I know there is a way to "eliminate" the immobilizer/alarm...

Does anyone here speak/write/understand Japanese?

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I understand the system really well so it does not bother me. Just silly I did not have the tools with me to fix it quickly. Would have been a 5 minute job with a small Phillips head screwdriver. Battery was fine. Have one on order that will fit on my left pocket key chain.

14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

Excorcising this system is on my TODO list. I have a long list. Doing the MSW remote trunk opener does solve the problem. At the end of the day you still need a FOB to open the door unless you like sticking keys in locks. I would go with a proximity wireless sytem and even add in a push button start. But what I want first is cruise control.

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    My daughter does. You can email me what you need. [email protected]

16. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Another day, another lesson learned about Ferrari's.

Boy we are becoming smarter, but I do not think I have enough days left to become really smart about Ferrari's.

ceb39

17. 575 Maranello

575 Maranello Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2013
    So Cal
    FBB personally I wouldn't even mind using a key to lock and unlock the doors it I had to. The immobilizer is the part that scares me. Right now everything works dandy except for the alarm horn which I do not intend to fix. Since I rarely leave my car unattended locking it is not a necessity for me. My worst nightmare is getting in locking the car. Unlocking it only to have the immobilizer render the car stationary. Not cool

18. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Well, that's what happens when you get older.

:D

19. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    anything from the factory on which is stiffer, the FHP or HGTC contacts ?

20. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Great, there is a Japanese mechanic that has repaired over 50 456/550 and he told me there is a way to disable the immobilizer.

I will get his email and then perhaps your daughter can send him and email asking for instructions.

Thanks

21. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    I'm having a real problem with the place where I purchased and service my 575 due to the key fobs. Not realizing that there was supposed to be a main red key fob when I purchased the car last Sept, I received the car with 2 black key fobs, and used it without problem until I stored it in Nov. This year when I took the car out in April, on one of my first outings I could not disengage the alarm. After replacing the batteries in both key fobs, we then discovered that only 1 of the 2 key fobs was working. Since that time the dealer has promised to get someone in to program the 2nd key fob so that it will function, but I'm still waiting despite continued communication and visits to the dealer. I am getting very frustrated. I went to Ferrari Ontario and they told me that without the red key fob it could cost up to $2500 or higher to reprogram the car with a new alarm and engine code sequence. So I went back to the dealer and again they promised to get their tech whiz in to fix my 2nd key fob, but I'm still waiting...

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #22 tazandjan, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Clyde- They are lying to you. Nobody can program the second fob so it will work. It can be cloned so it is a duplicate of the first fob, but not redone so it works independently like an original fob. Clones need to be used differently from original fobs or the rolling codes get way out of synch..

Do you have your Alarm PIN? This document will tell you what the PIN looks like and what your options are. If you have the PIN, best to buy an entire new set of three matching fobs with new PIN.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    My recollection is you said you did not have your PIN so if you go on vacation for a couple of weeks just send both fobs to Gobble to clone

24. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It sounds like he already has a cloned fob and one fob is out of sync.
    He can push the second fob enough times to catch up with the working fob...maybe

25. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Terry I appreciate your reply, reading it however makes me very upset, not because of you, but because I now realize that I am getting the "run around". As you recall I don't have my original Alarm PIN because my manuals came with the serial numbers and PIN info from a different 575 which is now owned by someone in Colorado who claims his car's manuals match that of his car. When I contacted Ferrari Head Office they told me to contact Ferrari Ontario to order a new set, and when I went to them they told me to contact Ferrari Head Office. I hope I am not completely out of luck on this, I am concerned that these two issues are now going to turn into a nightmare for me. I am not sure what to do next :(