550 windows & clutch observations/queries. | FerrariChat

550 windows & clutch observations/queries.

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by MogulBoy, Aug 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    #1 MogulBoy, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Had a preliminary look over a 550 recently (the first one that I have actually sat in) and there was a lot to take in but I was struck by the condition of the door window rubbers....

The front sections of both (near the triangular piece that sits against the a-pillar) were deformed and/or being chewed by the action of the electric windows. See pictures. Are these parts common to the 575 and still available at a reasonable(!) cost?

The door window glasses themselves were not perfectly alinged either and the vendor demonstrated that they were actually quite mobile / not rigidly held in place (when the glass was up and the doors open by holding the door with one hand and wiggling the glass with his other).

I didn't have a chance to drive this one on this occasion or even start her up but my other casual observation was that the clutch pedal action seemed really quite stiff with te engine off. Are they hydraulically assisted (as per 996TT) and therefore lighter in use or is it a sign that the clutch may be on its way out?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. bay

bay Formula 3

Mar 13, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bernard
  3. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    $1,300 a pair.... Gulp!

4. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

A heavy clutch pedal is usually a sign it's on its way out. With a brand new setup, the pedal effort isn't objectionable at all.

5. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  6. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    Thats a bit better, although NEW appears to be To Order and Subject to Availability...

Are so called NEW trim parts like this likely to be NOS (New Old Stock) or recently manufactured? With the 575m fast approaching 10 years out of production, any obligation on Ferrari to keep an inventory of obsure parts will be rapidly diminishing...

Bring on the 3D printing revolution!

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Clutch wear on the 550 can be checked visually with a borescope through an inspection port. If the throw-out bearing pin no longer protrudes past the guide, the clutch is worn and needs replacing.

8. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
  9. Bill17013

Bill17013 Rookie

Dec 21, 2013
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Bill Kramer
    I had the same problem with one of the rubber gaskets on my 456M. It is pushed out of position and should still be intact. I used a combination of flat blade tools to reposition it. It is basically "u" shaped and very simple in design. There is a tab at the bottom that fits into a slit in the rubber inside seal of the window. That holds it in place. Once it is firmly seated and the tab positioned, it stays in place and works without any problems. At least my is. Please excuse my technical terms. They mask a lack of a technical education.

10. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    On the subject of the rubber gaskets, I'll be looking at other examples and will keep any eye open for similar issues.

Same again wrt clutch pedal weights. Interesting to hear that there's a visual inspection via bore scope option but in practice not sure how many folks replace clutches on a preventative basis vs. those that wait for some signs of slippage. The possible reasons why pedal weights might increase over time is one that I have never fully understood and my gut feel is that this symptom could be independent of the state of wear of the friction plate but nonetheless, it might merit an early replacement.

11. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I keep hearing EuroSpares exponentially cheaper than Ricambi on a lot of things. Any reason for this?

12. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I wouldn't say off the charts, trick is to order a few part as you pay the same cost ($70.00) for 13kg as you would for 0.5kg. Even with shipping charges the pair of gaskets from Eurospares would still be 50% less than the $1300 quoted.

I usually order consumable such as oil filters etc when I order from Eurospares. Parts usually arrive within 5 business days to Australia.

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/DHLTables/UPSExpress.htm

13. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    This is very useful info!!!

Business wise, I'd say Ricambi is doing something wrong. I know they're responsible for hundreds of thousands of parts - but fortunately, things like this can be brought to their attention and fixed if they so desired.

Or it's just a sham like our lovely government

14. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    #14 dersark_painclinic, Aug 28, 2014

I assume the reason the tri angular plastic came off is in the back there is a slot with spring inside which hold it in place, it cracks and becomes lose and pops out, I reinforced it with glueing additional piece of hard plastic in-place to holds it and is solid now unless you want to buy a new one which breaks again. At least it was the cause in my case.

15. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    #15 MogulBoy, Aug 29, 2014
    Correct me if I am wrong but that looks like that hard plastic part No. 18 on the diagram but I more concerned about the rubber gasket [part no 17].

Ferrari 550 Maranello Parts : Table 119 - DOORS - POWER WINDOW AND REARVIEW MIRROR

18 64586500 1 R.H. INNER MOULDING TRIANGLE 278.97
    18 64586400 1 L.H. INNER MOULDING TRIANGLE 278.97

I looked at a late/low mileage 550 today and this one had an aftermarket stereo head unit that was powering tweeters that had been fitted to these part no.18 triangles and door speakers! It all looked as if it was done well but presumably it would all be aftermarket?

16. bay

bay Formula 3

Mar 13, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bernard
  17. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
  18. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I bought those window rubbers years ago and they were cheap! I should have bought more. Dennis McCann was a great supplier of parts at very very fair prices. It was like McCann found the Fiat part that was the same as the Ferrari part and sold it for twice the Fiat price but that was still 1/2 the Ferrari price. He has retired and the new guy's prices are like everyone else...higher. First rule of business is don't forget what made you successful. We can only hope the new owner of Dennis McCann's can stay in business.

AS to the clutch I see this on low mile cars. The cutch plate is rarely worn. It is more of a combo of sticky yuky clutch dust corroded onto the system and shaft and old unbled clutch fluid all nasty in the annular throwout bearing making for sticky gummy seals sliding on a high friction shaft surface with hard nasty clutch lines who's internals look like arteries from a guy with a heart attack. Isn't that a great mental picture? As an example, I got a 65+k mile 550 with clutch that acts like butter and a 22k 550 I have not had time to attend to with a clutch I need to eat more Wheaties for.