Starting issues....of course | FerrariChat

Starting issues....of course

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Old Shep, Sep 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Old Shep

Old Shep Karting

Jun 12, 2014
    Midland Texas
    Full Name:
    Bill Coombes
    Once again I'm seeking guidance from the collective wisdom here. My 550 has decided it will not start: apparently I am unable to disarm the immobilizer. Here is the whole scenario. Battery in both fob and car are new. Red light near the clock glows red, does not blink. Pushing the fob button only results in the light blinking once for every push on the fob. I decide to turn battery switch off, (checked voltage one more time), turned it back on, pushed fob button which activated the alarm/immobilizer, waited a few minutes, verified the red light is merrily blinking, pushed fob button, got the reassuring two beeps in return, got in the car, turned key to position II so diagnostics would cycle (no anomalies), and then turned the key to ignition and....nada. Nothing happens except that now the red light is glowing steadily. Fob button will not lock doors, disarm or arm...I'm at my wits' end (not a long distance to travel since I've owned this car)

When it runs it is wonderful. But now....hmmmm. It is a red 97 Maranello, was a Euro car "Americanized" by G&K in California in 2000. I'm stuck in West Texas which is three hundred miles from a mechanic...Anybody have any pearls of wisdom?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Were any of these issues apparent before the battery was changed and/or what is the voltage on the main battery ? Also do you have an alternate fob to try & rule in/out ?

I'm five thousand miles away but it feels like there is still a possibility it is not enough power in the battery especially as the the fob won't lock the doors

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Did you try pinching the fob battery terminals together? They can spread and make only intermittent contact with enough power to make the fob LED blink, but not enough to send a signal strong enough to make anything work. When I change them, I pinch them together, insert the new battery, and then spin the battery while pinching the terminals lightly to clean off any corrosion.

Also sounds like you could have an alarm siren going bad (batteries worn out or leaking), but that will not prevent a start.

4. Old Shep

Old Shep Karting

Jun 12, 2014
    Midland Texas
    Full Name:
    Bill Coombes
    Thanks for the replies....Sadly Jimmie I only have one fob (I know, not good at all but it is what it is) So can't try another one and (thanks to an earlier Taz post) I changed the fob battery and did what you suggest with the terminals etc. I was wondering if the alarm batteries going bad would cause this problem: sounds like that has nothing to do with the immobilizer/start problem.
    I've checked the battery voltage and it is a strong 12.5+ volts. When I get some help from a buddy I'm going to troubleshoot for corroded terminals on the cut-off switch and then into the fuses. Anybody have any other ideas? This is verrrrrrry frustrating.

5. Old Shep

Old Shep Karting

Jun 12, 2014
    Midland Texas
    Full Name:
    Bill Coombes
    Car is still sitting....pushing fob button results in two beeps from the alarm system, system checks all good, and then, with a twist of the key, nothing. I can turn the battery switch off, then on again, lock and arm the system, then unlock the door, get the two beeps....same sng second verse.

Only thing I haven't done is try to jump start the car, in case the battery (which checks good), somehow is not providing enough power.

Anybody have ideas? Please?

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Based on your post so far your alarm is working right. You turn key get nothing... no clicks (solinoid) except from natural ignition switch noise. If yes then I would put a remote start switch on the starter which is easiest reached from under the car. No turn over means dead starter/solinoid or no power there.

7. Old Shep

Old Shep Karting

Jun 12, 2014
    Midland Texas
    Full Name:
    Bill Coombes
    Fbb:

Thank you for the good suggestion...will check that this weekend. I'm sure I'll post a progress report.

8. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Please do. I do not have this problem. Hope I never do. But it scares the bejesus out of me. Is there a way to keep car disarmed at all times! Simply just lock and unlock it?

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sean- Nope, immobilizer arms 60 seconds after removing the key and opening the door or 120 seconds after the alarm is disabled and she is not started.

10. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    That's depressing news.

No way to bypass at all?

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sean- Not that anybody is going to post. I do not know how to do it. System is actually very reliable and the problem is usually lost fobs and PIN, plus short life on the siren's rechargeable batteries.

12. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Have you checked that the battery connections are on tight - it could be that there is simply not enough current getting to the starter solenoid to turn the engine over.

M

13. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    I have been told by someone that if you short the open door sensor (it will keep your interior lights on, so you need to do something about that), then the system will not arm.

Definitely worth a try.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Likely will still arm after 120 seconds with no start signal.

Who makes up this stuff, at any rate?

15. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I would not rule out a short in one of the wires to the immobilizer. I recently had that issue with my 575 after years of being trouble free.

16. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    No one made it up - there is a post of a forum member who discovered this by accident.

Will try to find it and post it.

17. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I have two fobs and the code sheet. Should be good there from what you described.

Tell me more about this siren issue? If the battery goes out on the siren, does that mean the car won't start even if the vehicle is disarmed?

18. Bratman

Bratman Rookie

Mar 13, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Alex Brat
    Taz, or anyone else, could you please describe how to change the siren battery and where it is, etc (2003 575M)? I suspect my siren isn't working because of dead siren battery or something else - it makes no sounds at all, no beeps or anything else.

Also, my red alarm light on the dash is constantly glowing red after the car is started and running. Any idea what that means? Car starts fine and immobilizer seems to be working fine, and the red light flashes after the car is turned off and the immobilizer is on, but red light is always on when driving...

Thanks,
    Alex

19. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Do a search both here and in the 355 section for "alarm siren"

Lots of information available

20. Old Shep

Old Shep Karting

Jun 12, 2014
    Midland Texas
    Full Name:
    Bill Coombes
    Quick question, is there a sequence that you follow after turning the battery switch back on? Do you have to first arm the system and wait some length of time before disarming and trying to start the car? I'm leaning toward some kind of sequence issue instead of a mechanical failure of the starter, solenoid, etc. Is there a sequence?

Still no success in starting....

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Alex- The smart thing to do is just change the siren because a good portion of the rechargable batteries leak and wipe out the siren circuitry. Plus you have to cut the thing open to substitute new internal or external batteries. Pros who have tried it had nearly 100% come-backs, so most now just swap the siren. It is also possible to swap the siren for a GM Corvette model. This works and is much cheaper, but the siren does not sound when the alarm is activated on some Ferraris. All the beeps and LED signals work, though.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/456-550-575-sponsored-bradan/303529-alternate-alarm-siren.html

22. Bratman

Bratman Rookie

Mar 13, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Alex Brat
    Thanks Taz, really appreciate your help.
    If I just leave it as is (wasting away :) with dead leaking batteries and glowing red light on the dash, will there be any other consequences? Will I not be able to start the car at some point or some other malady may befall me? I don't really care about having a working alarm, so if there is no other problem associated with it being inoperable and, especially if the immobilizer is separate (mine seems to be working fine right now), then I may as well leave it as is(?).
    Thanks again,
    Alex

23. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You can leave it alone forever, the only thing is you will have the constant red LED all the time. I ran my 355 that way for years before putting a Corvette siren in.

24. Bratman

Bratman Rookie

Mar 13, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Alex Brat
  25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Alex- It may also prevents you from starting her with PIN and key alone because you may get no LED indications of what you are doing. Otherwise, like Dave said, operation is unaffected.