DIY for the hand brake handle | FerrariChat

DIY for the hand brake handle

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Konadog06, Sep 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #1 Konadog06, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For those that would like to try this themselves.
    My Ebrake handle had ugly ring and vacuum scratches and by the time I wrestled if off the lever, some pliers scars as well. Removing the handle was a monster in this case, not all are. I had wrapped the black handle in layers of cloth and in addition wrapped the jaws of the pliers in masking tape. The battle was lost, not removing it unscathed, but won the war getting it removed after much time invested.
    Next I did what was recommended and sent it off to SNM. It was repainted but not repaired. Robbie had said that they couldn't make it perfect. Having restoration background and a perfectionist mentality I was not happy.
    So the new paint was striped off with denatured alcohol along with some 220 grit paper. I picked up some quality body filler, sanded the damaged areas with 80 grit, filled, then smoothed the filler with 80 and then 220 grit paper. It was then primed with several coats of quality black spray can primer (pictured). Wet sanded smooth with 400 (water soaked) sand paper and then sprayed with 3 coats of the pictured Plastic Coat. Followed the directions on the can leaving the prescribed time in between coats and then letting it cure for several days before service.
    It now looks identical to the original finish, like a rubber grip.
    This finish does not scratch easily and now has that original soft touch feel. Re-installing the handle is considerably easier. Essentially this is done with a rubber or plastic mallet, tapping it on till you are about to make contact with the button. Find a socket that will easily fit over the button loosely and still contact the outer edges of the handle and tap it on the rest of the way, taking caution that your socket does not contact or mar the release button.
    Finally replace the small rubber end cap and job done.
    The results were very satisfying.
    Should any one have questions or need help feel free to PM.
    A further note, have years of experience with success with Plastic dip finishes. We early on coated our car trailer handles with this stuff and never had any issues. The trailer was left out in the elements for years so it saw plenty of test here in hot and humid central Florida. It's all in the prep and following the directions.

Could this be done on the car? Yes with difficulty. Much easier if driver seat removed. Removing seat may sound drastic but if the handle grip were as difficult as mine to remove, the seat would be easier.
    Bill
    FL

pics- before, product, followed by two after close ups.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mike Morrissey likes this.
  2. 575

575 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2009
    Great Job

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Nice work.

Looks great.

4. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Excellent work, I did mine in situ, just coverd everything and came out like new with oven cleaner and polished with car polish. Bill, the rubber feeling paint is not going create the same sticky issue in the near future anymore?
    Sark

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bill- Really nice job. Need to visit you so you can do mine.

Actually, mine is just sticky, which I have not tackled yet, but gets used very seldom. Paper towel over it right right now.

6. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks guys!
    Sark, the tough part in situation as you say would be access for recoating or painting evenly.
    From what I understand the "soft touch" that Ferrari adds is some kind of clear product. Whatever it may be it obviously doesn't last well. Have never known plastic coat to go sticky or loosen, not to say it can't happen. Problems happen when surfaces aren't prepared well or applications are rushed. Plastic coat was chosen because its been very durable, wanted the appearance and soft touch like oem, it's easy to apply, and forgiving.

Taz if you can get your handle or lever off it would be my pleasure, it's not a big job once the part is in hand.

Bill
    FL

7. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Very nice indeed and very ingenious

8. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Well done, Bill.

Barry

9. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Many thanks, Bill, in particular for the info about the usefulness of the rubber coating composition. Similar compositions are available here, but unfortunately not as a clear coat, so that application on parts with printed-on symbols (switches etc.) does not make sense.

But your advise is very valuable for restoring door handles as well, I believe. I will try this out as soon as I get too disturbed about mine ;o))).

The rubber coat used by the factory is indeed a clear coat, so that after peeling off of the clear rubber coat, the symbols (switches, climate control etc.) remain perfect. This is how I "restored" the window switches, dismantling them so far possible and carefully rubbing the clear coat off. An eraser rubber (for the junger ones here, this is an office item, with which text written with a pencil may be erased from a piece of paper ;o), some strange analog device, but still available) is very useful for this purpose.

The switches now have a somewhat darker appearance, the symbols are perfect, and a "normal" hard plastic surface touch. But at least they do not longer look grubby. Someone not knowing the particulars of these cars would presumably not notice the non-originality of this detail, as long as it is not compared with the passenger side window switch.

Would be great to have a source for clear rubber coatings, in particular such, which are not of the (intentional) peel-off kind.

10. Bertt

Bertt Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert
  11. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Bert, thanks for the link.

They do have a German subsidiary. Looking at the detailed product decription, the sprayable composition is of the kind that one can easily peel off again, if not longer desired. This must be due to comparatively weak bonding of the coat to the substrate and I would believe that this might result in bubbling due to gasing of components if exposed to heat, wherein the gas is accumulated between the substrate surface and the adjacent coat layer. This would in particular appear probable, if the substrate is made of a conventional plastic, which tends to release volatile components at elevated temperatures. The coating layer itselfe may of course be stabil to even higher temperatures ...

Could it be that this is just the same kind of material as used by the factory?