575 cam timing change to 612 spec? | FerrariChat

575 cam timing change to 612 spec?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by GTS Bruce, Oct 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Yes I know about the other changes. Wonder if anyone just changed the cam timing and got worthwhile results without problems. Thinking about an upcoming belt change etc.
    Gts Bruce

2. GTS Bruce

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    No takers? When I drove a single cam spec car with a spec cam of course. You retarded the cam to move the power curve up the rpm range. If the scag has a miniscule CR increase and a little better breathing the cams are advanced without a loss of HP or TQ but it comes in at a lower RPM to better push the higher weight more effectively at lower rpm. I don't believe the official specs and power curve for the scag or the 575. Would be interesting to see what really happens on a chasis dyno. 575 cams don't need to be advanced or the duration increased. How about a little more lift for a little better flow? No drivability issues but better breathing. Of course the ,springs,etc,etc would have to be able to handle it. I bet there's 15 more HP and TQ easily available with a little more lift. Ok call me crazy. Got rid of the stock intake filters and replaced with BMC. Stock resonator out(worth 18HP on dyno) and straight pipes in. Rear cans gone and replaced by tubi straight pipes. Loud? Hell yes! Sure likes to spin up the tires a lot more and carry the nose. Chasis dyno or drag strip is the only way to make a legitimate comparison and these cars are few and far between. Need meets that offer dyno runs and drag strips besides road course drives. GTS Bruce

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bruce- What are the cam timing specs on the 612? I have them on the Superamerica, but not the 612. The cams are identical on the 612 and 575M (same part numbers). How much do you think it would cost to do custom cams for a 575M?

Why put oil upstream of your MAF sensors with a BMC filter?

OK, you are crazy, since you asked. You sound like me when I have been at the bar too long.

4. GTS Bruce

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Taz if I remember that 550/575 salt flat car was going to use stock cams . AH it's off season speculating. Used K&N for years with maf sensors. Have never had a problem even after I cleaned and oiled them. THE BMC are better made and seem drier than typical K&N.

Bruce

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bruce- We have been there before. No oil upstream of my MAF sensors.

The hot camshafts are in the 456 and 456M where they were trying to get more performance at high revs before they went to the dual length intake. Unfortunately, they use solid lifters.

The Superamerica used cams that were the same duration as the 575M, but advanced 7 degrees. All documented in the 575 technical thread along with the other hotrod techniques Ferrari used to go from 515 to 540 hp.