GearBox Manual Oil change procedure 456 M GT | FerrariChat

GearBox Manual Oil change procedure 456 M GT

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by JM35, Oct 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JM35

JM35 Karting

Jun 22, 2014
    Texas
    Guys,
    Does any one have a step by step procedure to replace the Gearbox Oil on the 456 MGT ?

Thanks
    Jerome

2. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    It is pretty much like any other gearbox/transaxle -

HOWEVER it is a well known fact that they can be UNDER-FILLED due to the complex and irregular shape - resulting in catastrophic failure (even an accident since the gears can suddenly lockup).

I have given thought to this, and believe the safest way is to reverse fill - (fill from the lower drain hole).

Look at this video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCUJbR1MEJA]How To Change your Boat's Lower Unit Oil - YouTube[/ame]

3. JM35

JM35 Karting

Jun 22, 2014
    Texas
    Thanks for the idea, I 'm wondering how at a Mech shop they are doing this job, the fill port on the Fcar is on the top to the Gearbox and no real access ..
    Any idea how they do it ?

4. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Exactly, so use the bottom one.

Most probably they use a pump with a hose.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #6 Rifledriver, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    Won't change a thing.

Try it Ferrari's way and do it correctly. The wheel has already been invented.

The cases are divided in two internally with a restricted flow path between them. Which hole you pour or pump the oil into will not change that. Fill it up, do something else for a half hour then recheck and top up. Recheck in another half hour. Do that until the level quits dropping.

6. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009

Sounds logical, whatever "Ferrari's way" is meant to be, if there is even such a thing.

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #8 Rifledriver, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    Exactly so maybe leave the advice to those who do.

Trying to help is OK but disinformation is counterproductive.

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #9 Rifledriver, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    On the top?

What makes you think that?

Have you read the owners manual? It is pretty clear with pictures and everything.

9. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    I didn't ask what the Ferrari way is - I was stating that there is no such thing as "Ferrari" way, unless you mean by doing it "wrong over and over again and expecting a different result".

(cam belts, bearings, most rubber seals and hoses, sticky switches, and so on...)

10. JM35

JM35 Karting

Jun 22, 2014
    Texas
    @ Rifledriver,

When i mean on the top it was by the fill port , Item #25 on the WSM Page D-13
    The Gearbox is made of 2 chambers one for the actual gearbox and one for the Differential.
    If you drain completely the oil by the unique drain plug, does this manage to drain both chambers and the Radiator content ?

The WSM manual describe the design intent and or some key element and step, to come back to my original question " does anyone have a step by step procedure" something very descriptive with all Ferrari key point from the WSM and any other tips that the Fchat community can bring.

Hope this clarify

Thanks
    Jerome

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The shop manual is designed for the people who know how to work on the car, not those that don't.

Look in the owners manual.

Don't over think or over analyze this. Pull the drain plug and let the oil out. Let it drain for a half hour. Refill as described earlier.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  13. JM35

JM35 Karting

Jun 22, 2014
    Texas
    Taz,

That is what i call a procedure , thanks for sharing

Jerome

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Prior to the 575 manuals never went to that detail. When the 575 manual came out we all complained about the new format because they sacrificed a great deal of important information for the sake of step by step instructions of simple procedures. One of the examples we used was the tire changing procedure. As we told Ferrari, the mechanics really don't need to be told how to change a tire but some in depth information about the motor would be nice. Their attitude was we should just be buying new motors so we didn't need it. The manual for his 456GT was very different.

They still leave out the fact that the transaxle is internally partitioned and especially when cold it takes quite some time for the oil to drain completely or to fill the fill the two compartments.

15. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
    Is there an internal oil filter,
    and is there any reason to
    access that and to clean it ?

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- Affirmative, that is why mine goes to my techs because they know what they are doing.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yes

There have been internal oil strainers going back to the 275 days. Most have been inaccessible without disassembly. What they are really for is once something starts grinding itself up inside to prevent the debris from destroying the pump and rapidly accelerating the process. Once the strainer is being put to use the transmission problem will be symptomatic in some fashion and will be no secret. In recent times removing and inspecting the filter has been a line item on some of the services as a partial replacement for some of the other traditional items that are no longer needed. We went the life of TR and 308 transmissions and cars without ever needing to inspect the screens. If you feel like now suddenly we should, go ahead.