The great enigma of the Pirelli 355/25/19's | FerrariChat

The great enigma of the Pirelli 355/25/19's

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Lionworks Auto, Dec 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
    (Repost from general)

I have an '01 456M Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login and I drove my current Pirelli P-Zero Rosso Tires 355/25/19's into the ground - literally corded them. Trying to replace now, but I didn't realize this tire size had become nearly a myth. A couple of you have been helpful with euro sources, but at extreme prices (+2k. Each!? And older runs).

Has anyone run a 345/30/19 Michelin Pilot Sport on the rear end of any Ferrari and have the front end tire be 1" smaller diameter? Fear is ABS warnings...

Or has anyone cracked this code? What's the right tire or do I have to buy 20" rear rims to get on with my Beauty?

Many thanks forum - you've been amazing.

Ed

2. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
  3. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    I few of us are running the 345 Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the rear. Taz is our resident wheel and tire expert. I'm sure he will chime in as soon as sees this thread.

4. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed

Thanks. What do you have on the fronts and what car? Assume no abs issues?

5. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Rears are 345/30/19
    Fronts are 255/35/19
    My car is down and I have not run this combo yet (They're new), but others have without issue. Because the rears are taller, you will have to lower the rear ride height about an inch. I have a 550 and Taz has a 575.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    B- 255/35 19s and 345/30 19s in MPSS tires
    have been working fine with no ABS problems.

7. MB_Fahrer

MB_Fahrer Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Why would you want tires that wide? These cars don't have enough power to warrant such a silly width. Genuinely curious, as I'd need 700+hp before I'd even consider something like a 355.... Heck, the P1 has nearly 1000hp and runs on only a 315 at the rear.

With such big, wide, heavy tires (and wheels), you do know you're just slowing your car down.....right?

8. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed

She does just fine - V12 and 450hp still 5.1 sec 0-60 plus stability (and sucker for the looks;)

9. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed

Thanks Taz. Do you think fair to assume the 456m and 550/575 ABS system similar enough? Hate to pay for these and get them on car and be plagued with cpu interference.

10. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed

Thanks and appreciated- good luck getting her back on the road soon!

11. 550v12SABI

550v12SABI Karting

Mar 29, 2012
    Long Island, N.Y US
    Full Name:
    Steve in NY
    I feel your pain every time i need to replace them. That is if I can find them...lol

12. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Yikes. And I thought going to 305/30ZR19s was stepping up a 456M. That's a lot of rubber. No understeering issues?

13. MB_Fahrer

MB_Fahrer Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Do you have any pictures of it? I bet it looks pretty mean. By the way, love Grigio Ingrid (looks to be the color you have?)!

How's the understeer with such wide rears? Or do you push it that hard?

14. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #14 2000 456M, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    Speaking of looks, how is your front license plate anchored?

15. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
  16. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed

It's a dippy bracket system that PO put on car - inelegantly bolted underneath...this pic shows the bracket and has the left side arm removed...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Does anyone own a 456 running the larger tires on back and can give me confidence the abs system won't fuss me:)

18. MB_Fahrer

MB_Fahrer Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Beautiful car! You do have Grigio Ingrid. Now I'm jealous ;)

On a side note: There's a Grigio Ingrid for sale but it's an autotragic....and I just don't think I can buy it with that transmission. I want a stick.

What wheels are those? I'm really surprised the tires fit so nicely. They don't stick out. I bet it looks great from behind. Must look like a tubbed muscle car.

Understeer is where the car runs wide to the outside of the turn. Oversteer (which I can't imagine you ever have with such massive rubber) is where the rear steps out.

Cheers,
    Ricky

19. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed

Ricky - thanks for the compliments. She is very pretty and I'm convinced the 456(M especially) will eventually make its way into the classics world. The wheels are Novitec NF2's 19" and require spacers for fit but they modernize her look tremendously. And I was tongue in cheek on the understeer question (and it's manageable btw- she sticks to the road like glue when I'm out pacing a 911 with my extra torque). You don't cord tires like the first pic in the thread like I did by ***** footing around. :). 3 pedal 6 speed is the only way to live.

20. MB_Fahrer

MB_Fahrer Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Wow, I didn't even notice they were corded. Looked like the tread was just worn down. Well then, my hat goes off to you. You obviously know how to drive. I wish there was more Ferrari owners like you out there. Too many of us baby their cars to a silly extreme. Me? I have mine out on the track every few weeks, and it's an absolute blast.

Funny you mention the collectability of the 456's... I too am convinced of the same thing, so I am rabidly searching for a gated manual 456 GT to buy (I'm insanely particular about colors, so it may take me a long time to find what I'm looking for). Personally, I like the GT over the GT/M, as I think the M isn't styled quite as nicely (nor do I like the interior quite as much on the M as in the "regular" GT).

Any chance you could change your rear camber a bit? Your left edge (inside or outside on your car? can't tell from the pic) is wearing quite a bit faster than the right side.

21. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed

Yes agree. Adjustments needed! If I ever tire of her we can keep in touch:)

22. MB_Fahrer

MB_Fahrer Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Please do, I very well may still be searching for one then! Bloody **** difficult to find one. Especially after you factor out the automatics.

23. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I don't know if plateclips are still available. I heard that something may have happened to the owner of the company, which IIRC, was called Chairpilot. I have one for my 456m and it works great; on or off in 30 seconds and no holes or defacement.

24. jznd

jznd Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    I have fresh 345 MPSS on my 550 and I still get the occasional oversteer and tire chirp if I push the loud pedal coming out of a tight hairpin, even in bone dry conditions. The wheel/tire combination is clearly heavier than stock and the car must be slower ...but it's a road car that never sees the track so I'm not too fussed.

25. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    #25 Jagbuff, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ...I think I call dibs on her ;)

Btw, I may have contributed to some of the tire wear, old picture the I dug up (always take my cars to the track several times a year, and the 456 was no exception), clearly showing it's GT nature with significant body roll and marginal brakes after a few laps. Handling is very forgiving not too much understeer (can easily adjusted with throttle) ...I think I may have some drifting pictures too, though showing those would be sacrilege in this forum :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login