Would you add a yellow Stripe? | FerrariChat

Would you add a yellow Stripe?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by tifosi_, Jan 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    #1 tifosi_, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I recently saw the article and photos on Ferrari's new limited edition F12 Tour de France 64, which pays homage to the original Ferrari GTO winning Tour de France race car (see photos attached), and was wondering what others thought about the aesthetics of applying a yellow stripe like that to my Silver (Argento Nurburgring) 575? Do you think it would enhance or detract from the looks. Frankly I think it looks great on both the F12 and especially on the original GTO. The side profile of the 575 has similarities to the GTO with the side vents behind the front wheel, so I thought it may look nice? What are your thoughts?
    I'm also added an extra photo showing my 575 without the stripe (because I haven't decided as yet), so that you can compare.
    Clyde
    Update: I just found a photo of a 599 (looks like its at Goodwood) with the same colour scheme and I think it looks rather nice as well (attached)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think Argento Nurburgring is a tad too light for a yellow stripe to work properly.

I personally would add roundels and a number in there as well though.

3. Mon the fish

Mon the fish Karting

Dec 27, 2013
    I tend to think the liveries only work on the cars they were designed for, i.e. actual racecars.

Also, remember the 550/575 is a refined, distinguished cruiser; I'm not sure a 'shouty' graphic/design would look right on such a simple, clean shape

4. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    For some reason, looks better on the 599 than f12.

5. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Maybe because it has a roundel and a number, similar to the original 250 GTO, though I'm not sure i would want to go that far because I only intend track my car occasionally, while mostly doing highway/street driving.

6. Northman

Northman Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2014
    Laurentian, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Denis Gauthier
    Nope, enough said,
    Seriously I think that your car is gorgeous as it is.

7. Thrasher

Thrasher Formula Junior

May 26, 2012
    London UK
    #7 Thrasher, Jan 30, 2015
    Go for it! It's actually the colors of the Francorchamps racing team...mostly Ferraris but also a couple Porsches had it back then.

I had it on my 997.1GT3RS and it looked ace.
    I used a guy in London, 30min job to put it on. Later when I sold the RS had it removed, took 5min as it was only a film. I think the cost was something like £300

That's me :)

It could look good on the 575, positioning it at the right spot will make the whole difference...why don't u try "paintshop", that's what I did with my RS back then.

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    is it straight across ?

get a vinyl wrap guy to do it....

9. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Yes Henryr, a removable wrap will be just right for this, because if I am not happy I can always remove it.
    Clyde

10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    what does it signify ?

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You're asking a very personal type question. I would not add it. I think it would spoil the pristine look of your car. The 550/575 have aged very well and are really very pretty cars. I'd leave it alone.

12. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    +1

13. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    #13 MogulBoy, Jan 30, 2015
    I like the idea (just for fun) and have had similar thoughts but agree that vinyl would be the way to go.

P.S. I started off looking at a Blu Pozzi 550 Maranello and began to imagine what it might look like with a Rob Walker white stripe on the nose like this 250 SWB.

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That would look very cool I'd imagine!

15. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde

This looks Amazing!!! If I had a Pozzi Blu 550/575 I would definitely consider putting the white stripes on like that.
    Clyde

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde

It's basically just a styling add on to make the car look a little more racy I guess, but it has a historical precedent with the Tour de France winning Ferrari 250 GTO of 64 years ago which was a silver car that had the yellow stripe in that location..

17. Thrasher

Thrasher Formula Junior

May 26, 2012
    London UK
    Yellow was the color used by the Belgiums, silver Germans, red Italians, blue French

The yellow stripe Belgium Francorchamps Ecurie.

18. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    #18 tifosi_, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    Actually, after all this talk and pondering on whether I should add the yellow stripe at the front of my 575, as strange as it sounds at this time, I am now considering to trade my 2002 Argento Nurburgring with Nero interior 575 (with F1) in on a 2006 F430 Manual, also in Argento Nurburgring with Nero interior (so technically I can still add a yellow stripe).
    I know they are completely different cars, and some may be surprised that I'm considering to trade in a classic front engine 12 cylinder Ferrari in on a mid-engine 8 cylinder Ferrari. A major reason is that's it's 4 years newer and much lower mileage (13600 vs 37000) but also that's it's a manual and I always wanted a Ferrari metal gated manual shift.
    I know I can expect very strong comments because of this, it's expected, but I feel the decision is sound.

19. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde

That makes sense, and I like the fact that there is some historical connection involved

20. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Its a very different driving experience. The 430 will feel more nimble and even more engaging, especially with the stick. It will be less enjoyable for longer highway drives. It really is the difference between GT and sports car. I love both cars. I really love Ferraris so I have nothing bad to say about either one. Sometimes you need to mix it up- variety is the spice of life after all. I think you should examine what you love about the 550 and why you are looking for a change and if the reasons are you want more of a sports car, then that 430 is your ticket. F430 is a great drive and I would recommend berlinetta form because its more rigid. The shift action is very good. I actually think the 550 (haven't driven the 575 stick) shift action is more mechanical feeling, which I like, but I think I can shift the 430 a drop faster. Maybe one day you decide to come back to the V12 and get a stick?

For driving on the road, a stick really is more engaging.

Congratulations which ever way you go- either to re-up with the 575 or try something new. Hard to go wrong.

21. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde

Thanks for your comments and they sound as what I expected about the difference between the two cars. Like you I love Ferraris, all Ferraris, and like you I feel that variety is the spice of life. That certainly influences my decision making process along with the other reasons I previously noted.
    Yes one day I will hopefully have the opportunity to get back into a V12 with or without manual :).

Clyde

22. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Definitely go for it! If it doesn't work out than you can always remove it.

The thing is that you will probably need to get more racey rims, paint calipers etc to match.

23. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde

My 575 has the Barchetta 18" rims, very nice, but grey calipers. The F430 I am planning to trade to has yellow calipers but the standard F430 rims, so yea, I may upgrade at a later time.

24. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Clyde- 575M to F430 is not an upgrade. Two years from now, your 575M will be worth more than an F430, and many already are worth more than F430s.

25. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde

Yes I agree it's more of a side grade than an upgrade, however, I am not sure it will be worth more than the F430 in 2 years since by that time the mileage on my 575 will certainly over 50000 miles but if I go for the F430 it will reach between 30000 to 35000 miles. Also I am not sure where you are seeing 575's now selling for higher than F430's now, certainly not here in Canada. On eBay there are a few but the majority are at a lower price than the F430.
    Anyway, I love my 575 and it will be difficult if I part with the 12 cyl classic Ferrari platform to go to an 8 cyl Ferrari, and it's a much more common Ferrari as well. That's why I'm torn about what to do. The F430 I'm looking at is manual, which I would have loved to have in my 575 rather than the f1 paddles, it's mid-engine and not as comfortable as the 575. Still, it has a Mennetino and e-dif, so it's more advanced in that way. My 575 is an early 2002, without the FHP or GTC handling packs.
    Well, I'm not sure what to do, I have to think on it.
    Clyde