Classic Style Radio with all the latest gear would suit 456M and possibly others | FerrariChat

Classic Style Radio with all the latest gear would suit 456M and possibly others

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by au-yt, Mar 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #1 au-yt, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    This is actually a Porsche development and it appears they have been available in a simpler style for 5 years however the latest developments, would be a replacement for the 456M unit which is the same as the 993. Just need to do some cosmetic work and replace Porsche with Ferrari and it would not look out of place. Even comes with the Porsche & Ferrari Price tax!!!!

Sadly it is DIM spec so it wont suit the 456GTs

From the article
    "With era-correct styling, buttons and fonts, the retro-fit radio will look at home within any pre-996 Porsche dashboard. A modestly sized LCD screen provides 2D or 3D navigation directions, flanked by six simple buttons and a pair of rotary knobs. The unit also includes both internal and external microphones for Bluetooth phone calls, as well as a variety of options for external music sources. Available now from Porsche Classic Partners or Centres, the new Porsche Classic radio costs €1,184."

Is this retro Porsche Design radio better than a Becker? | Classic Driver Magazine

2. chrismic

chrismic Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2012
    I have kept the original unit in my 456M, but added amp (invisible, below glove box) and Parrot bluetooth kit. Decent sound, happy with it. cheers, Chris

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Very nice. The article does not mention the manufacturer, unless I missed it. Would it be adaptable to use in the U.S.?

4. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    As Porsches primary market in the US I would imagine as long as you order one for the US you shouldnt have any problem.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There is a similar system being offered by Ferrari. Not sure if it will fit a 456 or not. Details in the 360/F430 forum.

6. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Car radio navigation units can be disappointing in speed of navigation, screen size, map and POI updates. No matter how good in-car systems have become, a "suction cup" 100€ Garmin is still hard to beat. Is it outdated, you simply buy a new one.
    This Porsche radio is of course a nicely integrated system. One thing worth noting, I don't see DAB+ support mentioned in that article. With the phasing out of FM in Europe and many other countries something to keep in mind.

I propose the Blaupunkt Toronto 420 as esthetical alternative. The Stockholm 230 if DAB+ is required, albeit less esthetically pleasing.
    Cost-effective yet both won't do away the suction cup navi.

7. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I just installed a Blaupunkt Toronto primarily for the Ipod interface and simple two knob design. I don't care for radios that look like a neon sign advertisement. Ipod stays in the glove compartment so wires are out of sight.

A nice feature is the radio is plug and play, fully compatible with the Becker harness.

I use a Garmin for navigation.

8. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    I have had the Toronto sugested and I may still consider it purly the Ipod and Bluetooth. T, the styling of the etro unit was appealing.

I agree on the use of a Screen based nav unit.

9. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    In the 456 only a remote faceplate with the guts in the glovebox or trunk will fit. Too shallow radio compartment. Had to do this with a "classic car" faceplate and the guts in the trunk.