19' rim on 1998 550 | FerrariChat

19' rim on 1998 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ODK, Mar 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    #1 ODK, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I recently purchased a '98 550...love the car but trying to bring a couple of the usual things back to OEM...does anybody know what these rims are? I would love to sell them and purchase some stock wheels. Thanks in advance for any help.

ODK
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    sorry about the sideways picture...not sure how or why that happened...

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Apple device explains the image. Those appear to be the dreaded Chinese wheels. Chris at Exoticar has new sets of OEM 550 wheels for $1200 last time I checked.

4. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Is this the car that was on ebay forever from Beverly Hills? A black example with those wheels...

5. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    yes, wheels are going...either cheap or the dumpster asap...too bad they are 19's as the michelins are in great shape...

6. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Thanks Taz, just bought a set including center cap from Chris...super nice guy....thanks again.

ODK

7. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    I looked at this car for a friend. The seller was a little different, but a nice car...

8. bikerbob100

bikerbob100 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2007
    Naples/Spider LK, WI
    Full Name:
    Bob
    ODK, what size are the Michelin's please? I might be interested in purchasing them. thanks bob

9. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    bob - don't buy used tires.....

those are chinese something or others....

i have a 1/2 set of factory 19" modulars for sale in the FSBO thread

10. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    i think he was talking about the tires...

11. bikerbob100

bikerbob100 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2007
    Naples/Spider LK, WI
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Henry, thanks I meant the michelins . Depending on how old etc. thanks bib

12. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Finally put on the OEM wheels and a new set of tires...i also needed lugs (don't ask me how i know) Anyway...i am going to sell the 19" rims and tires along with center caps and lugs...the tires are basically brand new as far as tread...the depth were all 9-10/32ths...if some one can tell me how to read date code i will add that to the info...the tires are Pilot Sports 255/40/19
    and 345/30/19...I also want to thank you guys on this board...the car when I bought it need a bit of sorting...nothing big...remote, visor etc...the info and help was far better than any other car that i have owned as far as boards go...how does 1700.00 plus actual shipping from Los Angeles sound? Thanks again...

ODK

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #13 tazandjan, Apr 14, 2015
  14. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan

That's what went through my mind as soon as I saw them. No embossed safety symbols from Japan, Europe or US. On ethical grounds, I don't think they should be offered for resale.

15. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    whoa...i guess i spoke too soon about the board here...ethics...seriously...you can loosen up a bit...its supposed to be nice weather this week in Porty...I haven't lied or misled...if anyone wants these wheels or tires or both they can contact me...or as one of my posts said they might just end up in the dumpster...don't really care...jeez

16. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Terry, why are those "dreaded"? Are you referring to the rims or tires?

I like the way they look and if they're 19" I would be interested...

Unless they have some kind of issue, please advise.

thx

17. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #17 2000 456M, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    Didn't read all the posts in between Taz's and my comment. I did not intend to offend or cast aspersions on anyone. I was between other business emails and just did a quick scan. I really apologize. Just concerned for safety.

What they remind me of are the continued sale on ebay (and elsewhere, I guess) of the early Speedline magnesium 550 wheels that were recalled by Ferrari. Wheel failure at high speed can obviously have extreme consequences and Ferraris are more likely to be driven far more aggressively than a Toyota Prius or any other run of the mill sedan.

By the way, there is a common law history of "implied warranty of fitness for reasonable use and intended purpose" that applies to sales transactions, (or at least that is what I was taught at Georgetown Law a half century ago). If I have something that I learn is dangerous, it is wrong for me to sell it.

Yes, the weather's supposed to be nice in Portland this week. I'll be driving the 456 roundtrip to work on Thursday and probably Friday as well as on the weekend, so it'll be at least 250-300 miles by Sunday evening. :)

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Fab- Do some research on Chinese wheels here but go ahead if you like them. No telling what they are made of and whether they had any real testing done. You could not sell those in Germany, at least, probably not in all the EU. Most likely not in Japan, either, so no idea why they are allowed to be sold here.

Good tires, though.

19. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    #19 ODK, Apr 14, 2015
  20. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    #20 ODK, Apr 14, 2015
  21. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    #21 ODK, Apr 14, 2015
  22. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    #22 ODK, Apr 14, 2015
  23. jznd

jznd Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    If you like the look of the 19s and want to keep using the tires, there's a set of hamanns here in Hong Kong for sale, very cheap at about US$1200. No idea about the seller, condition, blah blah blah but I can put you in touch if you're interested. They've been painted black, which is not my taste but I presume you can re-paint them. The seller emailed me back in English so communication shouldn't be an issue.

There's also a set of 18" barchetta modulars I just found. I did check them out and they seem to be in very good condition. The seller is a well-respected expatriate here who is active in the racing community. I want to buy them but don't have the space nor can I justify it. PM me for details. no affiliation, etc.

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Definitely Chinese wheels and all those markings are fake. "Germon" or "German", give me a break. DOT never did anything with those. The sellers were a quick moving bunch who proved very difficult to contact and continually changed names. They named the wheels modular so they sounded like modular wheels, but the ones that looked like they were two or three piece had cast bolt heads.

25. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    in talking to a couple of fchat guys I have decided to not sell these wheels and tires...if someone wants them for free let me know...the tires are from '07 but have a ton of tread...if not they will go in the dumpster...thanks

ODK