550 shock mount mod - WOW! | FerrariChat

550 shock mount mod - WOW!

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by AVIMAX, Mar 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I bought my 550 last summer. It is my first Ferrari and I love it. I think it will be with me for a long time. The only part about the car I was disappointed about was the ride. It was a bit harsher than I thought it would be for this type of car and there was a terrible clunking noise coming from the right rear suspension when I would drive over even the smallest of bumps. So when I parked the car in December for the winter, I removed the shocks and sent them to Rob at Delta Vee to have the shocks rebuilt and more importantly, to have the shock mounts modified. There are a number of threads on this forum about the shock mount modification that Rob has now taken over from Ferraridriver (I think it was Ferraridriver that started doing it??). Today I finally took the car out for the first drive with the newly rebuilt and modified shocks/mounts. All I can say is WOW! Rob told me it would transform the car and it certainly did. I didn't think my car rode that poorly before, I was wrong, it did. The ride is still stiff, still sporty, but the harshness is gone. Winter has ruined the roads around here, especially near my house, the roads are full of potholes, cracks, sunken manhole covers etc. My 550 today had no problems with these roads. Yes it was bumpy, but not that much worse than my 1 year old BMW. The best part.... the clunking noise from the rear suspension is completely gone! It was worth the cost of the mount modification just to get rid or the clucking.

So my 550 is now truly awesome, the way it should be. I will no longer be embarrassed by the clunking noises when I have a passenger, and the ride is better than ever. I cannot recommend this modification enough. If you are on the fence about it, do it. It will be the best money you spend on your car.

2. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Good to hear, it certainly transformed my car. I've tracked my car both with the modified mounts and without, my feelings were that it felt more planted with the modified mounts.

I'm happy to see Rob is taking good care my old project.

3. bay

bay Formula 3

Mar 13, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bernard
    +1 Good to know .

4. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Does this apply to the 456 as well?

5. bay

bay Formula 3

Mar 13, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bernard
  6. jznd

jznd Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2008
    Hong Kong

Thanks for posting your results - I am planning to have this mod done this summer; it's really helpful and encouraging to hear you are happy with the results. The roads in HK are getting worse by the day because of all the heavy bus traffic from Chinese tourists, so I'm hoping the mod will save what's left of my brain cells.