F1 to manual | FerrariChat

F1 to manual

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by tmario, May 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tmario

tmario Formula Junior

May 11, 2004
    New York
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I love my SA but, I used to have a 575 manual and loved that too. If I'm able to convert my SA to a 6 speed, it would give it a new lease on life. And given that it has 11,000 (I am second owner bought it back in 2007 with 17xx) it's not worth much on resale anyway ;)

Anyone have any thoughts on this? It seems like it shouldn't be too difficult given that the F1 is supposed to have items that operate a regular clutch that's already in the car (my understanding).

I'm thinking this is a 20-30k project (because it is Ferrari after all) but any other car I would imagine it would be less...

I've put my feelers out with the shops I know around me, but any shops that have done this type of work elsewhere?

Mario in Long Island, NY

2. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    It might be cheaper to buy a second car and perform a swap?

3. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Buy the second car and drive it when you want to row the gears- The SA is too revered in the market to lose it's originality...

4. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Rifledriver has spoken on this topic as a doable project.

5. tmario

tmario Formula Junior

May 11, 2004
    New York
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Prices are too crazy for the manual.

I am very pragmatic. For instance, I would not pay 325k for a green Porsche gt3rs because it is green, while a mechanically equivalent black or orange can be bough for 150k less. Over time, the color is not important to collectors I think so why should I pay now when I cn paint if whatever i want?

I want to combine the SA experience with manual is all. Right now I imagine the parts are all available. Later, not so sure.

M

6. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    #6 MogulBoy, May 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If a manual 575M is worth $240k (vs $120k for a comparable car with F1), you could wait for someone to 'total' a manual and buy the salvage. Trouble is, the asking price could be $120k for the bits that you want (you can throw away the rest).

From what I have read on here, it would appear that there is simply no interest from the factory to supply the parts necessary to do these F1-ectomies and even though there could be good money in it, you must concede that the factory would be tacitly admitting that they 'got it wrong' with the optional/expensive F1 system if they were to entertain the notion that it should be readily possible to do the conversions.

I would love to be proved wrong on this though.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    I believe the gearbox is the same, only the clutch action is automated in the F 1, so I am with you that it should be a feasible project and the cost of it should not break your bank account.

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i have posted the Q....so have some others. Rifledriver has apparently looked into it

there is a huge spread in the vale of F1 to gated cars......

many a cheap 575 f1 for sale...

seems like there should be spares available - only issue would seem to be whatever ECU units you would need. i bet they are NLA

9. tmario

tmario Formula Junior

May 11, 2004
    New York
    Full Name:
    Mario
    It would be disappointing if Ferrari wouldnt support it. It's free money for them and I can't see any downside.

As has been discussed ad nauseum (and not going into that here 😀) There's no doubt the f1 is a great transmission, just different.

A brief perusal of eurospares website diagrams shows things are pretty similar, just extra hydraulics and electronics replacing the mechanical parts. I would imagine the space is there.

It may be that I have to find a creative mechanic!

10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    ferrari isnt going to touch.. why bother ? revenue there isn't enough to move the needle and the potential liabilities are huge.

my guess is someone would need to bankroll the first with the anticipation of maybe converting several more cars to recoup the "experiment"

11. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    There are plenty of "donors" out there at the specialty breakers. I am guessing that the needed parts that cannot be sourced new could be provided from a wrecked 550...