F550 Maranello FP Floral Arrangement | FerrariChat

F550 Maranello FP Floral Arrangement

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by troyce, Jul 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. troyce

troyce Karting

Jul 19, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Troyce Walls
    #1 troyce, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    All that stuff in the bottom of the cups is the original fuel pump rubber isolator/suspender. The intakes on the pumps were so clogged, I don't know how it ran at all. Ethanol free from here on out.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Hmmm, Troyce, that might be part of your hot restart issue :)

You're going to go ahead and replace both pumps, cushions, etc. aren't you? (Actually, I thought you already had replaced them?)

3. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Side note: your name is Troyce? You are the second person on the planet I know of with that name. Not too common! :)

4. troyce

troyce Karting

Jul 19, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Troyce Walls
    Yes, John, the pumps and everything around them have been replaced; new gaskets of course, wiring, etc. Interestingly, the hot start problem seems to have manifested only after replacing all that, although I don't have empirical evidence of same. I wonder whether there's something we changed during that replacement that changed the ECU reactions somehow.

Right, there's a few Troyces around, one of them is a singer who pops up whenever I (vainly) Goggle myself.

5. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

OK sorry, I've got it out of sequence - your hot restart issues began "after" the pump replacements.

If you can, hook up a fuel pressure gauge to one or both rails while you're starting, and check that you have 3 bar or so there just before you give the key the final twist to hit the starter. If you don't have good fuel pressure, it's not going to start well. You either have a leakdown going on in the system (leaky injectors or FPR), or possibly the pumps' check valves aren't holding.

When you replaced your pumps, did you also replace the fuel filters? That would be a good preventive measure - you might also cut them open with a hacksaw and see if any of the fuel pump rubber is in them.

It would also be good to pull the injectors and have them cleaned when you're doing your fuel rail insulating. Obviously, if you notice any rubber debris in the rails or the screens of the injectors, you'll want to have the whole system flushed.

6. troyce

troyce Karting

Jul 19, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Troyce Walls
    Italian buddy of mine here suggested I call the image of the fuel pumps not "Maranello FP Floral Arrangement" but "La Disposizione dei Fiori, Ferrari, FP."

Copy all re fuel pressure. I do have a way to check that, and will do.

No, I didn't replace the filters, and I can't possible explain why I didn't. But will be ordering new ones right away - any recommendations?

Copy fuel rails, another thing needs doing. Are there any basic instructions here anywhere for their removal?

Thanks much, John.

~T

7. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

OEM fuel filters from Ricambi is what I'd use.

The fuel rails are really straightforward IIRC. Pop the electrical connectors off the injectors, remove the supply & return lines (be ready with rags to soak up gasoline), loosen & remove the two holddowns from each rail to the intake manifold, and pull each one up & out.

8. troyce

troyce Karting

Jul 19, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Troyce Walls
    Thanks much.

~T

9. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    Any pics of the FP assemblies before you put them back in?

10. troyce

troyce Karting

Jul 19, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Troyce Walls
    No, Sorry. Wish I had thought of that.

11. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
    I have been through this three (3) times.

In the last 4-5 years, I have had three 456 cars,
    and in ALL of them I have:

1) Replaced the fuel filters.

2) Replaced BOTH fuel pumps,

3) Replaced BOTH "rubber cushions"

In two (2) cases, I replaced at least
    one of the plastic access doors for
    the pimp assemblies.

In both of the pre - M cars, I had to bend
    the internal baffles to free the fuel-level float
    so it would read correctly.

And that's JUST the gas tank.........