550 prices vs values | FerrariChat

550 prices vs values

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ddisimo, Jul 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ddisimo

ddisimo Rookie

Apr 16, 2015
    This is my first post, so go easy on me.

I am looking at getting my Ferrari. I have always been interested in the 550/575. I have a friend that deals in vintage (60s and 70s) Ferrari's and he found me a 2001 550 6-speed. They are asking around $120K for the car, with just over 12K miles. My friend thinks it is a very good car and a good value. Carfax checks out good.

In researching the car, mostly for insurance. I looked at Hagerty Price Guide report. It is saying that the cars are worth/selling for about 75-85K. I checked a few auction sites and find a few sold for about 60-80K. When I look for cars for sale on this site and other sites (cars.com, etc), it seems cars are asking about 115-180K.

I am very confused. I have always wanted a Ferrari and want to get this car, but I don't want to make a 40K mistake. This is a big deal for me as I have money for a car, but I don't want to make a bad investment.

Are the cars overpriced? On there way up, or down? Bubble?

I want to join the "Family" and get a Ferrari, but I want to do it without making an emotional mistake.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and helping me.

Darrin DiSimo

2. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Hagerty price guides and others usually run behind the value curve. With that said, buy the car you want and don't put any value on speculative values. Don't look at this as an investment. Enjoy the car! 120K for a good car is in the ball park. You won't get hurt.

3. FerrariLS

FerrariLS Karting

Apr 26, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I agree with gsjohnson. It is impossible to predict the future, but if you find a very clean car (and keep it that way) I don't think you will get hurt. You are however about 6 months too late. The same car was about $80-$90 last fall. I just got a 7,000 mile TDF last week. If there is a "bubble" with regards to the 550 I don't think we are there yet. The issue with a perfect $150-$180 car is it becomes too difficult to enjoy. I think $120 for a clean no stories "serviced" driver is right there.

4. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Agree, Jeff, especially Maranellos are not overrated, compared to mass - market Porsches of that age, produced in limited numbers, 550/575's are still underrated.

Don't see any reason why the cars shoudn't become one of the most iconic cars of the past century..

Buying guides react to late on price adjustment on colloctors cars. So many samples on that...

Saluti,

Jürgen

5. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
  6. bikerbob100

bikerbob100 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2007
    Naples/Spider LK, WI
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Do you know what services have been done to it recently? Belt etc. Does it need tires? Does it have Modular wheels? All things to take into consideration when buying a 550. IMHO

7. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    I agree. I recently sold my 1968 SWB 911 for nearly a 100K and it isn't near the car my 550 is.

8. FerrariLS

FerrariLS Karting

Apr 26, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Now the Porsche market is a completely different issue. I own a few, and there might be a bubble there coming soon. No reason for a "common" 930 to go from $30k to $120k in less than a year. If you look at the bubble of the 50s and the more recent late 60s american muscle cars, Ferrari's were mostly immune to that.

9. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Jeff:

Can you share what you paid for your TDF? I'm currently in the market though looking to sell my 328 GTS first. I specifically am looking for a 550 in TDF with tan interior. Unfortunately I agree that I'm 6 months late to the party for a "good deal" but on the flip side, 328 prices have climbed about the same. Now if I can only find a buyer...

10. ddisimo

ddisimo Rookie

Apr 16, 2015
    Thank you all of taking the time to respond. I am very nervous about buying my first Ferrari.

One small correction. The mileage on the car is 16K. I not only need myself to be happy with the car, I need for my wife to have the peace of mind that I am make at least a reasonable investment in the car.

Any other advise or help is welcome.

Thank you again,
    Darrin DiSimo

11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I don't think 550s are on their way down. I think they have only just started not going down. And they haven't spiked bizarrely like some cars. Oh, and they are fantastic. Can't comment on US prices. But in Europe, if it's a genuine car, that's a good price.

12. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    +1 well said !

13. fstncln

fstncln Rookie

Jul 30, 2015
    Brighton, MI USA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Hi,

I'm also new to this forum and am looking to buy a 550/575M. My question is what are the best places to look for one? I know about Hemmings, DuPont, the auction houses, Cars.com, ebay, and a few others but they're spotty at best. Are there any other sources for one of these beautiful cars that not only have them available but can be trusted (at least to the extent any reputable dealer can be trusted)? Are private sales very common for these cars or are they mostly resold through dealers? Does the apparent need for service records tend to make the dealerships a more reliable source? I plan to hold onto the car indefinitely, drive it, and enjoy it so I'm not looking for a condition 1 car. A 2 or 3 would be fine. Not too picky about color (should I be?) but I do prefer the Daytona style seats. Even though I modify my other cars (some quite extensively) I would leave this as stock as possible. Any suggestions and/or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

14. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Price of entry is just that ; if you are going to keep the car, be prepared to spend $$$ on correct maintenance. Consider also insurance costs , amount of miles driven, etc. If you are OK with the "hidden" costs you are gonna love it

15. Vintage12

Vintage12 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    SW Florida
    Full Name:
    Colin
    Darrin,

I think you are getting some good advice here. Please do be prepared for some significant maintenance bills especially if the service is not complete or current. If you don't get a PPI, which is recommended, at least verify the common issues are taken care of. Below is a list of questions I asked after purchasing my 550 a few months back if it helps.

Not to put you off but when I reviewed the maintenance paperwork there was a bill for $16K last year for major and $12K the year before for other things. These weren't the only bills either.

Regardless, I would concur $120K for a "good" 550 seems fair at current values. It's a fine vehicle to own and enjoy. I expect over time it will be a good base value investment but I caution you about buying it for that purpose especially as your growing equity may get offset by ongoing maintenance and insurance etc.. Buy it because you have the passion to be its next custodian.

Best of luck.

C.

1) All Keys, Books, Tools, Full Service records and history?
    2) Your assessment of exterior condition out of 10 with 10 being "new"? What flaws if any? Any chips, dings, scratches?
    3) Your assessment of interior condition out of 10 with 10 being "new"? What flaws if any? Any tears, marks, scuffing, carpets good?
    4) Condition of glass?
    5) Condition of seals? Door and windows in particular?
    6) Ever smoked in to your knowledge? Wife is ultra sensitive to that.
    7) Electrics all ok?
    8) Driving all good through gears, clutch etc?

Here are some known flaws with the earlier 550s if you could comment please.

9) Engine hoses weak - often upgraded to 575 hoses. Done?
    10) Mounter mounts weak - often upgraded to 575 mounts. Done?
    11) Reverse synchro weak - any sychro issues in to reverse gear?
    12) Fuel Tank seals fail - any whiff gas around fuel tank area or outside/inside car?
    13) Shocks fragile - have these ever been replaced or serviced?
    14) OBD2 issues - any CEL (Check Engine Light) lights on or has it been on an OBD reader recently with error codes?
    15) Low over hang can damage radiator plug - any damage under front area? Plug ok?
    16) Manifold leaks (should cause a CEL) - ok?
    17 Timing Belt tensioner weak. Ugraded or checked/change at service?
    18) The proverbial dash shrinkage and stickies. Leather ok? Dash all ok?

We also had a discussion regarding the alarm, these tend to have issues when the backup battery expires and leaks on to the board. The alarm light was on so a new alarm was installed when purchased (the second time in 4 years).

16. Jürgen Geisler

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    ...wow, Colin, perfect guide for a 550/575 prospect.

In most cases, you'll not find the 100% car, as mentioned before, some issues have to be carried out and fixed after you'll bought the car......

Saluti,

Jürgen

17. bikerbob100

bikerbob100 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2007
    Naples/Spider LK, WI
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I agree with Jurgen. You buy the car but figure it could cost upto $10k to get it sorted out right, assuming you have a PPI on the car to start out with. I am pretty sure your wife would feel comfortable with the 550 as an asset. Not as an investment but as a fairly safe place to put your money.

18. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    When I was shopping for my 355 I was looking for the highest mileage car I could find with the best inspection results and maintenance records. I paid well under what a lower mile example was going for and couldn't be happier with my decision as I love to drive my cars.

The 550 is a modern classic in my opinion and I'd like to buy one some day as well. Hell, if I could find a higher mileage 550 that's well sorted and has a clean bill of health I'd jump on it right now.

I don't expect the current prices the cars are getting to hold much longer...I feel like the bubble is set to correct (not burst), especially in the Porsche market where you can already see prices coming down a little to move cars.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't buy the car if you're looking at it as an investment. If you plan on putting some miles on it, you'll probably end up losing money or breaking even on it when it comes to sell after you factor in all the expenses incurred during ownership.

Smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon.

19. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I would never say that 550s are moving to $250k in the next year (I have no clue) but I can tell you that the days of buying a well sorted 2001 with under 20k miles for less than $100k are over. $120k is a fair price in today's market. If you want the car, buy it, drive it, enjoy it.

You won't care if it goes down a little. You won't care if it goes up a little. You will care if the chance to buy a really nice, well sorted 2001 at a fair price passes you by.

20. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Colin's guide is excellent, and don't be put off assuming there's a strong service history. Per values, 3083 550s were made so limited edition they're not. My 1998 550 (I bought it in 1999 it had one previous owner) dropped to 25K GBP trade at its lowest point in 2003, I didn't sell. Today it is in very rude health, it's mint with 25K miles and has a FHP an option ordered by its first owner. As time passes it's becoming more beautiful.

Over the years she's been joined by some of her more famous siblings - more exotic and more powerful. But my 550 remains very special. For sentimental reasons (it was my first Ferrari) but also because it is a superb GT, probably one of the very best made.

One tiny item. Watch for the Pininfarina badges by the front wing vents. So many used cars for sale have them missing them or have them set half way up the car. I wouldn't not buy a car with missing badges or wonky placement, but a decent owner would make sure the badges were present, and properly set. Enjoy!

21. Jürgen Geisler

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Ddisimo, think, you have now a very good idea what to expect and how to look on these cars.

Interesting point, mentioned by Bastuna is the production date of the Maranello. It's been said, that later versions are more refined, with some issues already solved. Havn't found until now any prove on that, no datas, when which component of the car has been superseeded. The only visible detail, I found is the changing of the Hifi system in 2000 from Sony to Becker.

If you would limit your interest to the last production year of the car and maybe have an idea of the colour then the market the avaibility is really as well very limited.....

Saluti,

Jürgen

22. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    The change in the hifi system in mid 2000 supposedly coincides with a change to the wiring harness and some other small changes that are (I was told) a substantial improvement. I have long forgotten what the details are but when I was shopping for a 550, a friend of mine who has owned no less than 3 550s made sure that I was aware of this.

Anyway, there are no "bad" years for a 550 but for whatever reason, the 2001 cars do seem to command a slight premium. However, they are usually better optioned so I'm sure that plays a part as well.

23. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    I bought my '99 550 about 3 months ago. I enjoy driving it far more than my Testarossa . The car has an impeccable service history with 67k miles on the odo it's condition is near mint. I ran into some 20k mile examples which were not as loved, so from my point of view mileage is not as important as maintenance and care history. That said after a week of ownership the a/c condenser failed requiring a $5100 repair at the dealer. Fortunately the previous owner was fair enough to foot the bill. Nevertheless, buying a used $120k newer sports car like a 911 will still depreciate at a rate more than the cost of yearly maintenance of a 550 ( which I don't think will drop in value).

24. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Eventually mileage will matter very little unless you have a sub 1k mile museum piece.

Condition trumps mileage in the long run. Cars can be restored to factory (or better) spec relatively easily.

25. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    FYI, the electrical system upgrade is the CAN bus system. It coincides with the radio switch.