Ferrari 456 Enthusiast discussion | FerrariChat

Ferrari 456 Enthusiast discussion

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by au-yt, Aug 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    OK I know there a mixed thread 456/550/575 however there is now increase in questions from owners and enthusiasts alike so being brave I thought it would be good to have a discussion thread about the 456GT 456GTA 456MGT and 456M GTA.
    Let me kick of with an interesting comment from an article I read in Autochannel and the last sentence.
    The Auto Channel - Forzal Magazine

"Ultimately this is its strength. It's a thoroughly well-developed package, something to keep and cherish. This is a long-term affair, not a night of passion. Its good looks, and finely-honed behavior confer an aura of respectability that tames your baser instincts. But kindle the V12's fire, and the temptation is still strong. If ever there was one, this is the Ferrari for grown-ups."

2. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim

Couldn't agree more with the author. As you know, I have an F430 spider as well and I honestly prefer my wife's 456GT! Why these gems havn't been more desirable over the years is beyond me. The car is SO functional, versatile and reliable, it really is a daily Ferrari.

Darren Donovan likes this.
  3. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    I bought mine to use , not every day, but because it is such a nice place to be.
    as JT Nesbitt says in his video they are a cruiser.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSM10Otcnkw

However as I have found they accelerate and turn-in and stop vastly better than a GT should
    Another key thing for me is cars with supper low profile tires don't suffer the Aussie back roads at all well, where as the 456 on its 40/45 profile tyres does.

Whether its a good thing or not both Dave456's and my wife both rather like being in the car.

4. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim

As you know, I bought ours for my wife. She has become a complete Ferrari tragic, like myself! I can't sing the 456's praises enough.

5. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Once sorted they are wonderful and reliable cars.

6. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I've put 30K miles on mine in the last 7 years and use it as a DD at least one day a week for a 100 mile round trip when the weather is fair. Never gets close to overheating in heavy summer traffic. My affection for it (unlike the vast majority of my previous rides) has only grown over the years.

7. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
  8. 456M GTA

456M GTA Karting

#9 456M GTA, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bought my 456M one half years ago - it had been unused for a while and took a little bit of effort to get it where I wanted all the usual stuff well listed on other threads plus a few - Done 2K+ miles since - its always a pleasure to drive I'd say thrilling/satisfying drive - the 400ft torque is great, handles like a car much smaller and lighter, sound is great. One observation is most agree the rear end styling is automotive design at its best - and it covers a +2 seating!! - so pretty impressive from pinninfarina.

Last comment - I approached an automatic, silver black interior car with deep deep prejudice - I will be honest (actually was negotiating a manual TDF blue car but took this for a test drive on a "why not") - encourage potential owners to keep open mind

Ownership - catapults a 456 car into a different bracket IMHO - hard to think of a reasonable replacement at current prices
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    You just answered your question.

The 456 has "adult" written all over it.

My belief is that the two-seaters appeal to the rebel in us all, the wild child, the inner hellion with an eye for the highest quality.

They look to their two-seater to scratch that itch; : I'm sure they own other "adult" vehicles.

456 owners seek something a bit different: I'd call it "deep satisfaction without all that annoying attention."

But no matter what F-car we own, it's money well spent.

Just my two cents.

10. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim

Good point. I own an F430 spider for just that reason.

11. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    As I have found Tubi exhaust and Gizzi will find if he hasnt already does draw some attention.
    But for me the sound of a Ferrari V12 is to be celibrated, the stock exhaust is a little to grown up.

My Car is Grgio Titano and the car does tend to "disappear" in traffic which is good and bad thing.

A 456 is much more of a drives car than I expected, It is first car I have owned that needs throttle going down hill.

A couple of quote from Dave456,
    "if ever there was car that needed a 6 speed gearbox less a 456 is it",
    and
    and if ever a car that needed a cruise control more.

The torque and throttle response in top, means you are constanly watch your speed, but I suppose that this is true of lots of high performance cars.

12. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Owning a Ferrari was a dream since I was a kid. 4 years ago I accomplished that dream and bought the car that just made my jaw drop as a 20 year old kid and that was the 355. I love that car and it screams like crazy (always the loudest and most musical at all car gatherings).

Unfortunately, with a wife and 2 young kids ages 5 & 2, it was hard to turn a Ferrari outing into a family affair that can be enjoyed by everyone. So I began admiring the 456 and also was amazed at how much the prices had dropped. I started searching eBay, Autotrader, etc... and BAM! found what I was looking for which was TDF blue over Tan and couldn't be happier.

So when it's solo drives it's 355, for family fix, it's 456!

Couldn't be happier. Altough I would have liked an M, I've come to really enjoy the "look" of the earlier non-M models (those scoops on the hood just give it a major personality boost)

13. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    For me the use of cars like this ( exotics )has to have a purpose.
    i dont tend to use the cars just for a drive other than testing following work.

I am moving out of Sydney latter this year and the 456 will make a great open road car for country trips to visit my parents 4 hours away, via quiet ( if susch a thing exists) NSW country roads. The only real issue is mobile tax cameras and Skippy.

14. frascati

frascati Karting

Mar 5, 2012
    SF Bay Area, CA
    It is a very good road car. I like the dimensions and the power/torque are good as well as the handling and braking.

The 12 cyl is a great experience and with the tubi it has a satisfying sound to go along with the driving experience.

Classically beautiful.

Get one now if you want one. GT or GTA.

15. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim

The Tubis sound FANTASTIC! I love watching passenger windows go down as someone comes by just wanting to hear the sound.

16. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Pleased you like the TUBIs

May be there is a bit of a larikn in grown ferrari owners.

17. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    #18 michael platzer, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I own my Manual 456MGT 1999 for four years now and i am really happy. If you need a 2+2 there is no alternative in that price range.
    i love the cars power and looks and it does not attract that crazy attention, my Spider does.
    Really the Ferrari for grown ups.
    the Spider is a totally different ride and i would not give it away, but to have the best of both worlds (and a SUV for the cold winter days) is really the way to go.

isnt it beautiful?

18. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Great pictures one I am envious of the car outside the factory..

19. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    that was 2014 when we visited Maranello with the Ferrari Club Austria - about 70 cars!

This was about my tenth visit to Maranello but my first with my own Ferrari.

20. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    How cool is that 10 visits, I have been once may years ago during my Maserati phase..

21. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Graeme I think you should explain for American friends what Larikn means,
    I'm from the UK spent 7months in Sydney loved it.
    D.

22. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Daniel
    Larikin is an old Aussie term that Wikipedia explains very well
    Larrikin is an Australian English term meaning "a mischievous young person, an uncultivated, rowdy but good hearted person", or "a person who acts with apparent disregard for social or political conventions".

sadly a lot of the classic Aussie slang terms are being lost in the "politically correct" world.
    I know this is a bit off topic but dear to me , During the second world when the US soldiers came to Australia they were handed a phrase book to help them understand the slang.

So for me the louder Tubi exhaust fits the terms well.

23. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Seems the Aussie appetite for late Manual V12 ferraris is quite strong 235AUD for a 550.
    I was informed the market price for my 456M wasnt far behind. !
    Talk and reality are two differnt things but who knows what the MMTBCM will spend.

24. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim

I'm liking the sound of that mate!