DIY for Sticky Handbrake Handle | FerrariChat

DIY for Sticky Handbrake Handle

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by colamclean, Aug 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. colamclean

colamclean Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    #1 colamclean, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I previously posted a need for a diy for the refinishing (sticky repair) of the steering box. [need dyi removal of 575 lower steering column cover for sticky repair]. With advice from others, especially Bill "Konadog06", I was able to remove, clean and refinish the horribly sticky steering box I inherited when purchasing my 575.

I recently both replaced and repaired my sticky handbrake handle and wanted to share my thoughts and some photos. Others have written about this, but not in a lot of detail (as far as I can find). Maybe this will give some of you the confidence to tackle it yourself. It is amazingly simple.

My first goal was to replace the sticky handle with a carbon fiber one sourced from Chris at Valence USA. My 575 has racing seats and so the CF handle looks perfectly at home in the car. And, I love the look. If I had Daytona seats I would have stuck with the original handle.

Secondly, I wanted to restore the original handle and keep it in pristine condition.

The process was as follows:

1. Wrap sticky handle in thick microfiber towel, then clamp handle with vice-grip pliers at the base of the handle (nearest the leather-covered lever), being careful to not grip too tightly in order to avoid damaging the surface.

2. With a light-weight hammer tap the vice grips lightly near the handle, towards the front of the cabin (obviously). There is a longitudinal rib on the bottom inside of the factory handle that prevents twisting of the handle, so any attempt to remove by twisting and turning will be unproductive. Simply tap it straight out. Mine took all of about 15 seconds to remove. I guess it is possible some cars may have had more adhesive applied by the factory and may take more effort, but for me this was simple.

3. Once off you may want to wipe the exposed handle core. Mine needed no cleaning or prep.

4. Align new carbon fiber (or refurbished handle) with longitudinal rib at the base of the handle core. Cover upper end of the handle with towels and tap gently with a light hammer. Once the new handle has traveled to the brake release button, hold a deep socket (I used a 5/8" SAE socket) around the release button and tap on the socket to slide the handle the remaining way, until it is flush with the leather-covered lever. Keep a microfiber towel between the socket and the surfaces of the handle and release button to prevent scarring.

Refinishing the old sticky handle took all of about an hour - most of that time waiting for the PlastiDip to dry between coats.

1. Scrub handle using a toothbrush with denatured alcohol and wipe clean.

2. Use two to three coats of Performix PlastiDip (recommended in other posts by Konadog06), waiting 30 minutes between coats. Make the coats 'dry' coats - not heavy wet coats, and you will end up with a factory-like finish.

I will upload some photos to show the process. Hope this helps someone out there suffering from a sticky handbrake handle.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Just FYI - - Plastidip WILL rub off after extended use. Anything that gets sprayed with Plastidip is not meant to be handled often. There are guys here who sprayed their door handles and within 2 weeks, the Plastidip was peeling off. I would suggest a harder type coating, real paint or like what we offer at Stickynomore or you will be pulling that handle back off to respray very soon.

3. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    With all respect Rob, if this product is applied over a properly prepared surface per directions it is very durable. I have used it where it has performed well for years. And the handle on my car was done a while ago with no signs of problems.
    Personally I like the OE soft touch feel over paint.

Would also note that some handles are easier to remove than others.
    Patrick, glad it went well for you.
    Bill
    FL

4. philfrench

philfrench Karting

Jan 3, 2012
    France
    Sorry but i m just redoing both ashtrays of my 456M that i had done with plasti dip four years ago.
    The result with aging was very bad ...peeling all stuff ..and put special coating before painting.
    The best is Snm😉