456 and 456M: the long wheelbase Maranello | FerrariChat

456 and 456M: the long wheelbase Maranello

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 348SStb, Oct 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Do folks here see prices on the rise now or in the near future for 6-speed 456s and 456m cars...

...in the way that we've observed for other 6-speed F-cars, especially the 12-cylinder cars?

2. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    There have been a number of comments/threads on this, but it's hard to get any concrete data. It's clear the manual 456s are worth more than the autos - perhaps 25-40% more, and prices are edging up. Whether they'll be up 100% in another 2 or 5 years, very hard to say. The price difference between GT and GTA seems to be less in Europe than in the US, possibly because there are fewer GTAs in Europe, relative to the total supply.

3. galileo

galileo Formula Junior

May 20, 2011
    Yes, I think it's inevitable. Front engine V12 and manual Ferrari. Classic design, great power and relatively rare. 456Ms can still be had under 100k, but not for long.

4. 512kr

512kr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2013
    Birmingham England
    Full Name:
    Nick Rayat
    Manual cars over here in the UK are on the rise big style.

5. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

I tell you. People ask me if I'm willing to sell my 2003 M 6-speed. I always say "No, I'm keeping this thing forever."

But if I were to sell, there's no way I'd take under $100k.

I have a 575M and I have to say - I think I like the 456M better. The 575 actually feels like a bigger, more massive car. The 456M is nimble and sporty.

6. galileo

galileo Formula Junior

May 20, 2011
    2003 6 speed? Thats a unicorn! I didn't even know they went to 2003?

7. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Yes 2003 was the last year :)

8. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Wow very interesting as that's not what people perceive. the general belief is that 456s are big 4 seat cruisers.
    Having never driven a 550 or a 575 my experience is limited, I have 2000 M manual and as was commented to me by Dave456 another owner " they shrink around you" and hes right they don't feel like a big 4 seater.

9. Somersett

Somersett Rookie

Sep 30, 2015
    England
    I hadn't considered a modern V-12 Ferrari until recently. I had driven a couple of 599s when

they were current and been really disappointed. Not with the engine or performance which

were astonishing but by the fact that the rest of the car seemed not to be to the same standard

with a chassis that struggled to put the power down. I also found the ride oddly inconsistent

and the constant drumming and thumping from the tyres oppressive. I understand that this is

just my perception and that other people feel differently.

Recently I drove a well maintained high mileage (95k) 550M and was astonished how

well it rode and how quiet, civilised and comfortable it was in traffic. It had a classic feeling

of front engine balance, strong grip and a pleasing V-12 sound. It didn't offer the explosive

performance of the 599 but it was still very fast and you could use that performance to the full.

I started looking for a sorted 550. As we all know these things take time. A friend asked

me if I had tried a 456. He lent me his 95 6-speed. Another big surprise. It felt as quick as

the 550 except that the power peaked by 6500 rpm instead of surging onward. The ride was

really excellent but still well controlled when pressing on. Same lovely front mid engine

balance encouraging you to explore and safely exceed its limits. Most surprising of all it

actually feels smaller than the 550 when you are driving and as I live down small bumpy

country lanes in Englands west country that is important. I was hooked.

My friend would not sell. He said it took him a long time to get it right and he would only

have to go out and buy another. So I searched. After looking at a dozen cars I bought a 95

manual and I'm delighted. Years ago I owned a couple of Porsche 928s, an S2 and an S4 and

I feel that quite apart from having a large measure of Ferrari charm the 456 does what the

928 promised but never achieved. It feels like a sophisticated, elegant, luxurious coupe when

you want it to be but when you are on your own it has 90% of the 'sport' that you enjoy in a

550. For me that seems a remarkable achievement. I feel that the 456 is where the

365GTC/4 2+2 was 10 years ago. Waiting to be rediscovered and properly appreciated. I can

understand people buying the automatic but I was happy to pay a considerable premium

for a 6-speed and it seems at least in the UK others are too and I think that trend may

continue.

10. Somersett

Somersett Rookie

Sep 30, 2015
    England
    I hadn't considered a modern V-12 Ferrari until recently. I had driven a couple of 599s when

they were current and been really disappointed. Not with the engine or performance which

were astonishing but by the fact that the rest of the car seemed not to be to the same standard

with a chassis that struggled to put the power down. I also found the ride oddly inconsistent

and the constant drumming and thumping from the tyres oppressive. I understand that this is

just my perception and that other people feel differently.

Recently I drove a well maintained high mileage (95k) 550M and was astonished how

well it rode and how quiet, civilised and comfortable it was in traffic. It had a classic feeling

of front engine balance, strong grip and a pleasing V-12 sound. It didn't offer the explosive

performance of the 599 but it was still very fast and you could use that performance to the full.

I started looking for a sorted 550. As we all know these things take time. A friend asked

me if I had tried a 456. He lent me his 95 6-speed. Another big surprise. It felt as quick as

the 550 except that the power peaked by 6500 rpm instead of surging onward. The ride was

really excellent but still well controlled when pressing on. Same lovely front mid engine

balance encouraging you to explore and safely exceed its limits. Most surprising of all it

actually feels smaller than the 550 when you are driving and as I live down small bumpy

country lanes in Englands west country that is important. I was hooked.

My friend would not sell. He said it took him a long time to get it right and he would only

have to go out and buy another. So I searched. After looking at a dozen cars I bought a 95

manual and I'm delighted. Years ago I owned a couple of Porsche 928s, an S2 and an S4 and

I feel that quite apart from having a large measure of Ferrari charm the 456 does what the

928 promised but never achieved. It feels like a sophisticated, elegant, luxurious coupe when

you want it to be but when you are on your own it has 90% of the 'sport' that you enjoy in a

550. For me that seems a remarkable achievement. I feel that the 456 is where the

365GTC/4 2+2 was 10 years ago. Waiting to be rediscovered and properly appreciated. I can

understand people buying the automatic but I was happy to pay a considerable premium

for a 6-speed and it seems at least in the UK others are too and I think that trend may

continue.

11. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Indeed they don't feel big - a tad wide perhaps but so is the 550. The extra seats don't add bulk, it's not a Panamera. It's more like a 911, the seats are there if you need them but that's it - not many compromises made to add them. The market prefers two seaters for their relative exclusivity, or sees the lack of practicality as better or less compromise. I remembered the 456 introduction in 1993 very well and I was very impressed back then. I am happy I did not forget to buy one.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Considering the 599 has a 2750 mm wheelbase and the 612 2950 mm, 2600 mm seems downright small.

13. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Interresting, is the 550M/575M any shorter then? No wonder the 456GT fit me like a glove, all my E-types have been 105" which is 2667mm. 2600mm is very compact for a car with that size of an engine and still has four seats and all. 8)

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

14. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Your insight has put an end to my lust for a 599, and I have resurched them extensively and wanted one.. untl now.
    If you dont mind I have put a copy in the 456 enthusiast thread.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/456-550-575-sponsored-bradan/496332-ferrari-456-enthusiast-discussion-6.html#post144286307

15. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nice writeup Graeme.

I see you agree with me: the 456 actually feels like a smaller car than the Maranello. Not here to bash the Maranello by any stretch... But it does feel large, bulky, and heavy. The 456 has a lower engine bonnet with an amazing view of the road and terrific visibility around the car, making the driver feel very comfortable. The car to me feels more nimble than the 575M I've owned.

16. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    For some time Dave456 has being say exactly this, and now owning a 456M I agree it feels like a 2 seater.
    Lately I was wondering what motoring jurnos like Chris Harris would make of the comparison, and Somersett's insight nails it for me.

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Pekka- Maranello wheelbases are 2500 mm. The 250 GT California LWB had a 2600 mm wheelbase, same as the 456, while the SWB Ferraris through the Daytona were 2400 mm.

18. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Thanks Taz, I did some googling, but Wikipedia etc are full of small errors, rounding and different sources. The Maranellos are then really a compromise between the classic LWB and SWB. (And E's were 96" / 2438mm and 105"/2667mm)

But you're right, 2600mm is not much, especially when compared with the modern cars. I was surprised the 599 and 612 are so big, but it seems everything grows, all old cars (well, except perhaps some American old cars!) seem so small when seen live and next to modern cars. I was also positively surprised how low and compact the 456 really is and I agree, it shrinks on you when you drive a bit more.

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

19. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    Agree 100%, although I have a GTA - 456 just feels more responsive than my 575M, when pushed the right way.

20. rp456

rp456 Karting

Apr 26, 2007
    I own a 456m and a 550. I agree with Dave on the comparison of the two.

21. peter seow

peter seow Karting

Oct 9, 2015
    KL
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I kind of like the 456 even thou I have the 550. The problem is that your other passengers would likely prefer to be seated in other cars. I think the value of the 456 will Increase but it won't be match by the 550. Frankly no 4 seater has risen as much as their 2 seater. It might be different this time. I rather forget about investing as part of equation lets buy one to enjoy it. I like my bmw 750il v12 as my Everyday car I never cared about the investment aspect. If a nice 456 comes up in manual or even auto at the decent price I will take but it's not a must have. The 550 should be on the must have list instead of a 456

22. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    #22 MoeD, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015

Somersett-

Before I could affored my first F car, I also came from a line of front engine Porsches graduating to 928's- the last version, the 928 GTS was everything the 928 should've been all along- it sported wider fenders, more power, bigger brakes etc. But those were only about 60 cars/yr for 3 years in the US and few were manual

After that, I went straight to the 456 because the front engine/ rear transaxle 2+2 layout was the same as the front engined Porsches, my last being the 928 GTS, and I've not looked back since.

I did briefly have a 550 this past Summer, but it never cast any shadow over my 456M- for me it was in fact disappointing; and the 575 is the much much better Maranello in my view. I drove the 550 a couple of times and promptly sold it.

The 456 was the Greatest thing when introduced to much fanfare in the mid 90's; why it seemed to get overlooked with time is likely a product of newer and more exciting F car models ever since. But the 456 for me, having driven the 550, is the more likable car given the combo of handling, ride and excitement factor, even if it is a 2+2.

456's haven't received much attention these recent years and therefore most of them aren't in top shape, but get behind the wheel of a well maintained car and the drive is quite surprising. I've done everything to my 456M that the car ever ask- It's tip top and runs and drives Amazingly. I originally thought to sell it when upgrading to 612, but the manual transmission experience is not the same as F1 and both are worth having if a stick excites you. Having said that, I'll likely never sell my 456M and actually prefer it way more than the 550 experience.

I identified very much with your mention of 928's and your analysis of the 456 vs. the 550 cars. Ultimately 456's are starting to be noticed as prices of other F cars have finally dragged up 456 values. But as cars that get more valuable suddenly end up at shops getting refreshed, with time the well maintained 456 driving experience will become more available and will be considered together with the Pretty lines of the car and earn the 456 a rightful position in the minds of collectors of the older cars, enough so to be considered desirable standing on their own, and not just because they are a less expensive alternative to other V12 F cars.

Just my 2 cents worth...

23. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Agreed no 2+2 has ever matched pricing of it's contemporary 2 seat brother over time

One thing I don't understand is why they continue to put more power in the 2 seat car when it's inevitably the lighter car anyway

Wouldn't it make sense to just produce one version of the powertrain & dunk it both the 2 seat & 2+2 brother?

The 2 seat version will always be the more nimble one and to be honest, the 2+2's usually cost more- Owners ought to get something for the money

24. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    One word: prestige.
    I don't agree on the 2-seater always more nimble part, that is not necessarily true for lots of technical reasons, and quite subjective at that.
    Looking for such specific things is wrong imho. For me it never has been about least weight, most nimble, most quick, most hp. They're extremes, which in my philosophy means that the optimum application window of the consumable item in question (the car in this case) becomes very narrow, and you will probably have less enjoyment of it in general. This is btw why boatloads of people buy minivans over sporty cars - they suit their lifestyle much more of their time.

25. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    The problem with putting the power down is the wheel width especially the back tires. 13" wide rear wheels give you wonderful full power acceleration and transform the car on the track. They only require spacers and longer bolts.