Alternative Seats for 550 | FerrariChat

Alternative Seats for 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by sherpa23, Nov 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I love my 550 but there are two things that I would like to improve: one is the suspension (easily remedied by sending to Rob at Delta Vee for the MSW upgrade) and the other is the power Daytona seats.

Not only are the power Daytonas extraordinarily heavy but the seats are uncomfortable for me and I feel like I sit too high in them I had a set of F430 carbon sport seats that I was going to install but I ended up putting them in my manual 360 (CS clone) instead. I tried fitting them in my 550 briefly but they're a little too wide. I am sure that they would fit with some manipulation and doctoring but the fact of the matter is that the base of the seats is wide for the space in the 550. I would think that the sport seats for the 550 would be perfect but those are ultra rare and I have not had any luck in finding them.

I tried fitting some F40 seats but of course, they're narrow for the space and leave huge gaps on the side and require serious doctoring of the bracketry to line up.

Consequently, I would like to know if anyone has found seats that work well in the 550 besides the 550 sport seats. Ideally, they would be lower and lighter. I know that this is a long shot but if anyone has any experience, I would be all ears. Thank you in advance.

2. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

IIRC, Moorfan put some Recaro's in his 550, and was happy with them

3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Thanks, John. I appreciate that. I don't think that those are quite the seats for me but it is helpful in that I can see what fits. Thanks again.

4. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    What is involved with MSW suspension modification?

QUOTE=sherpa23;144347140]I love my 550 but there are two things that I would like to improve: one is the suspension (easily remedied by sending to Rob at Delta Vee for the MSW upgrade) and the other is the power Daytona seats.

Not only are the power Daytonas extraordinarily heavy but the seats are uncomfortable for me and I feel like I sit too high in them I had a set of F430 carbon sport seats that I was going to install but I ended up putting them in my manual 360 (CS clone) instead. I tried fitting them in my 550 briefly but they're a little too wide. I am sure that they would fit with some manipulation and doctoring but the fact of the matter is that the base of the seats is wide for the space in the 550. I would think that the sport seats for the 550 would be perfect but those are ultra rare and I have not had any luck in finding them.

I tried fitting some F40 seats but of course, they're narrow for the space and leave huge gaps on the side and require serious doctoring of the bracketry to line up.

Consequently, I would like to know if anyone has found seats that work well in the 550 besides the 550 sport seats. Ideally, they would be lower and lighter. I know that this is a long shot but if anyone has any experience, I would be all ears. Thank you in advance.[/QUOTE]

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Stan- Replaces the metal to metal shock mount with what is effectively a rubber hyperblock. There are threads on the subject in here.

6. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
  7. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I found the Daytona seats uncomfortable as well, I passed on several cars due to them having Daytona seats. I found a 550 with what I believe are stock seats. When I bought it, I drove it 450 miles home, only stopping one time for fuel. I was comfortable the entire trip, the only issue was I had a sore right leg from holding the gas pedal... time to look at getting cruise control. :)

Jim

8. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
  9. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    My 575 has sport seats with the 4 point harness.
    The seats came in 3 different widths.
    Maybe you could order the same seats from a Ferrari dealer or Ricambi?
    It is quite comfortable.

10. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Yes, I know all about them. They're no longer available or I would have looked into ordering them. That's why I asked for something besides the sport seat option.

BTW, I have the medium F430 carbon sport seats in my 360 and they're a little big for me. I would gladly take any of the three sizes for the 550 if used ones came up for sale at a reasonable price.

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  12. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Thanks, Jas. Excellent info there. Thank you.