Trade 575 straight up for a 599 | FerrariChat

Trade 575 straight up for a 599

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Eli355, Feb 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eli355

Eli355 Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eli
    I am talking about a 2003 Nero/ Nero, F1 with 16000 miles. Interestingly values seem to have equalized. Appeciating vs depreciating asset? I have had my 575 for 3 year, am not in it for the investment and am considering it for the change of pace and something different. I am hooked on the front engine 12.

2. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Eli,
    Its interesting that this is now possible in the US, while here in Canada generally speaking its really not. 599 values are still holding up here by comparison. I might do the same thing if the opportunity arose.
    Clyde

3. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    IMHO. The maranello's are becoming classic. The larger non classic looking 599 although a very nice car will continue to drop in price. Personally I never cared for the 599/612 looks. When the next front engine v12 comes out the f12 will be dropping more rapidly. Possible to trade up to an f12 and skip the 599 altogether. Then again if you are really bored with the 575 then why not go for the 599? GTS Bruce

4. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    #4 Jürgen Geisler, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    Eli, interesting observation, after having read your lines, I checked the situation in europe as well....

Imho, the price level of 575's/599's has reached a comparable level here - but there are actually listed nearly double the quantity of 599's in the most common portals. Comparable cars are not easy to find, due to the fact that there are a lot of low milage 599 offered and only a few 575. Surely, in general Ferrari's are more driven in europe, milage is comparable higher than in the states. A 30.000 miles (appr. 50.000 km) car is considered here as low milage.

In case of 550's there are slightly more cars listed than 575's, but in general at a higher milage. The price range varies even more and well cared, low milage 550's (for example below 30.000 km/19.000 miles) are nearly impossible to find or at a price which excalerates the comparables 599's sometimes by far.....

Always talking about F1 575's/599's and (of course manual☺....) 550's.

Clyde, maybe a good time to change, as we know, you're a big fan of the later cars. Anyhow, we would miss you here in the Maranello chapter��).

Saluti,

Jürgen

5. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Jurgen,
    Unless things have changed substantially only in the last few months, from my own personal investigation on what I could get for my 575 vs what I would have to pay to get a 599 of equivalent condition, there is still a significant price differential between the two cars and its not anywhere near possible to trade for even money or even close. Had it been I would probably be driving a 599 now and not have just ordered myself a set of FHP springs for my 575. I will continue to monitor the market but at least here in Canada things appear to be different. Since my car was originally American I could potentially sell it there, and that may be the solution, but in my opinion I still think that I would have to wait a few years until the 599 continues to depreciate to where the price differential made it even a close buy to the 575.
    Ultimately I do want to get a 599, but I feel that I would honestly miss the Maranello Chapter as well. I wonder if the 599 group are as loyal to their model and the brand as we Maranello owners are? Anyway, the best scenario would be if eventually I could own both.
    We'll just have to wait and see what fate has in store. :)
    Cheers,
    Clyde

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Clyde- Apparently only in Canada. Many 599s available here for less than $150K, one good one here in ferrariads for $127K. Really good 575M F1s and early 599 F1s are overlapping in price.

7. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    Here in australia 2 years ago you could buy a 599 for $250k and a 575 for about $120-130k.
    Now it looks like 575's(standard) are about $280k and 599's have risen to $320k-$420k.

8. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    Bruce when the 550 was introduced it was regarded by some as a "bland" shape . Over the years it is now regarded as a classic. IMO. The same will be said of the 599 in about 10 years time

9. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Yes it must be a Canadian thing because this is not the first time I have seen postings online about equivalent valued 575s and 599s in Europe and the States. Anyway, I'll continue to monitor it though I am not in a panic to trade, because the longer I hold onto my 575 it seems the more I get attached to it. I am waiting for Spring to install my new FHP springs and will hopefully acquire an HGTC roll bar afterwards as well. Those should really improve the feel of the car. So selling her is not at the top of my list of priorities right now and I wouldn't consider it unless a deal came along that was too good to ignore.
    Clyde

10. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Clyde, one more argument.

The longer you hold your 575, the chance increases you'll find a possibility to get a 599 in addition to the 575.
    ;)

Daniel

11. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde

True Daniel,
    And that would be the best I could possibly hope for in my opinion :).
    Clyde

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    I can't see 599 going down much more...it's a lot of car.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using Tapatalk

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Clyde- There is a nice 599 from Canada on E-Bay for less than $150K right now.

14. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    #14 tifosi_, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016

Unfortunately Terry I am in a position where I would have to sell my 575 first in order to purchase that 599 (or any other).
    Also Terry, that 599 is selling for US147,500.00 equivalent to CDN$205,600.00 at today's exchange rate. Also, Mike Sheehan evaluated my car and suggested an asking price of US$100,000.00 which is still quite a spread.
    Clyde

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Clyde- I do not think I would trust Mike Sheehan on what to value your car since he is a wholesaler. $100K is pretty much right at the bottom of 575M prices.

16. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde

Terry
    Oh I wasn't really aware of that. Thanks for the info. I also think I can get more for my car but not that much more. Also as I'm mentioned I have been offered very low values here on a trade in at the Ferrari dealer and a few other exotic car dealers, so it's influenced my belief that I can't really get an equivalent value for my 575 to a 599, at least not yet.
    Clyde

17. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I'm not a fan of the 599's styling and that is just about the only reason I haven't traded for one myself. That and the investment angle of trading an appreciating asset for a depreciating asset. But if you don't care about either, the 599 is a much superior driving experience. It's better than the 575 in every way.

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sort of like a 575M is better in every way than a 250 GT Lusso, but.....

19. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde

I've always really like the 599's styling, particularly from the side and rear angles when you can see the flying buttresses (which McLaren seems to have copied now). It only tends to look oversized when parked next to a 575, but on its own it's a great design in my opinion. It's also the first regular production V12 engined (derived from the Enzo) Ferrari with an e-dif and Mannetino. Yes and the performance is a step above the 575 as to be expected with each new generation Ferrari.

20. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

don't like the single rear lamps on the 599
    praying mantis look

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #21 tazandjan, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. Jürgen Geisler

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Every new generation of Ferraris will beat their eldery counterparts, so, that couldn't be the point, why elderly Ferraris are appreciated.

At the time, the Maranello arrived, it was a new sensation regarding it's performance, beat it's predessor on the Fiorano race track by 5 seconds (as far as I remember....��). Looking at the quiet small time difference between 550/575 (1,2 seconds....?) the question arise for me how much lay's between both car's in reality..... According to my informations, the tested 575 was equipped with the F1 system, at that days Ferrari argued, no driver could beat it with a manual gearshift....

Looking at the prices today, this fact could be important for the value, but in practically it's not, 575M manuals are playing in another world according to their value than their F1 equipped cars. The emotional component play's imho an important role

All V12 Ferraris are impressivly potent for their times, even today there are few cars that can match their performance. Even here in germany we can't us their full capibiliy and I never heard about someone in a Maranello wich was bypassed by a 599/F12 at the german Autobahn at 320/325 km/h....☺

Sure, Clyde, you'll take the right decision for youself, to drive and own one of these cars is a privilege and should make you happy and proud personally.

Saluti,

Jürgen

23. dakharris

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    #23 dakharris, Feb 7, 2016
  24. Jürgen Geisler

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Terry, agree��, the single rear lights are not a striking argument.....��

Saluti,

Jürgen

25. dakharris

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    #25 dakharris, Feb 7, 2016
    Gotta say that the rear ends of those cars are not the best angle from which to view them. Never liked the trailer light look of many of the off the shelf parts Ferrari has used. That said, they never came close to Excalibur using VW taillights.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login