Guida values of 575M vs 599 in Cavallino Mag | FerrariChat

Guida values of 575M vs 599 in Cavallino Mag

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by tifosi_, Feb 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Like many of you here I do not subscribe to the Ferrari Market Letter but I do read Forza-Mag and Cavallino Magazine regularly. I always like to follow the “Guida” at the back of each Cavallino Magazine issue which is a market pricing guide for most Ferraris. Its interesting to note that up until just 3 or 4 months ago, the Guida was consistently showing the value of the “575M Maranello” at between U$80,000.00 to US$120,000.00, but since then, due to the sale of some 3 pedal 575s at auction, the estimate has risen to between US$120,000.00 to US$385,000.00. Quite a jump! Since I own a 575M Maranello F1, I tend to only look at the pricing of this model, however, due to the fact that recent postings in this forum have stated that 575s and 599s are now trading for even money, or even perhaps to the advantage of the 575 side, I made a point of seeing what the 599 prices are listed at in this month’s issue (March 2016). Interestingly they mark the “599 GTB Fiorano & HGTE” at between U$150,000.00 to US$500,000.00.
    What’s interesting to note here I feel is not the high value, but what is shown as the low value that should represent the bulk of 575s and 599s, and which still shows the 575M Maranello below the 599 GTB Fiorano & HGTE at its lowest level with I assume equivalent mileage and condition. On the other hand what is equally important to note is that beside the pricing listed for the 575M Maranello there is an up pointing arrow indicating that the value of these cars are on their way up, while beside the 599 GTB Fiorano & HGTE there is a down pointing arrow indicating that these cars are still depreciating. Certainly this should mean that the value for average 575M Maranello’s are bound to overtake the value for 599 GTB Fiorano’s as others here have indicated. The only variable in my case is that I have a high mileage 575 (39000 miles, purchased with 30000 miles on the odometer and put 9000 miles on in 2 years) which works against me in the Ferrari market, but then I enjoy driving her so much that I don’t intend to stop just because the possibility exists to trade to a 599 sometime in the future.
    Clyde

2. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Clyde

In my opinion, 39.000 miles isn't high milage, the car is driven reguarly, and i think this is important.
    My 550 has 61.000 Km on the clock and for me it's a good car with acceptable Km for the age.

Daniel

3. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Daniel you're absolutely right, 30,000 miles (62,764 kms) or 61,000 kms are not a lot on a car and particularly considering their age. I believe the market may be a little different here than in Europe though, because here it seems that for Ferraris of low mileage they are more in demand, and once a Ferrari gets above 30,000 kms (or 18,000 miles) then the demand and trade in value seems to drop dramatically. I am only commenting from a sale or trade-in value and not from a perspective of whether a higher mileage car is mechanically sound or not (as often a higher mileage car may be better mechanically than a low mileage one).

Clyde

4. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Clyde, agree completely with your impression, there is a big difference between the US/Canadian and European definition of a low milage car. Your and Daniel's car would not be considered here as low milage as well, but most probably as quiet interesting cars, still with a considerable limited milage but used and maintainted as they should...

Especially the very low milage car's request often a lot of care to bring them back to roadgoing conditions. Have seen here this kind of Maranellos with just one service from new or the last one executed 8-10 years ago. Having followed for example some italian cars, it seems, that the fact, that actually it's not advisible to be seen in a Ferrari by the Guarda di Finanza, these cars remain undriven - and unserviced....

The market might favour the low milage cars actually but sure, a regular used and maintainted example gives you in most of the times a better and more satisfying Maranello expirience.

Saluti,

Jürgen

5. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Clyde: what did Cavallino say about 550s? Thanks. Frank

6. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde

Frank,
    I'll have to check when I get home from the office and let you know. Keep in mind please though that the values they list are not always accurate, they are just a basis of comparison. I am sure that different guides might show different values.

Clyde

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde

Frank this is very odd, they are listing the value of the 550 Maranello as being between US$55,000.00 to US$90,000.00, which considering what they listed the 575M Maranello at seems unrealistically low. I myself have seen 550 Maranello's listed for as high as 575M Maranello's here locally, though I cannot say what their final sale price was. In any case, I can't believe this is the case. Obviously it seems their rating on the 550 Maranello seems to be off for some reason.
    Clyde

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I am amazed he changed anything in that guide. Still has a pretty late 575M as the first one, 125370 (Geneva Auto Show 575M) and there are several earlier than that. 123761, 123764, and 123765 come to mind.

9. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Thanks, Clyde. Numbers do seem low. Appreciate your sending the info! Hard to really get a firm price estimate without knowing actual sales prices. Frank

10. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Yes Frank,
    The numbers for the 550 don't make any sense to me, particularly since its a 3 pedal and any Ferrari 3 pedal is selling at a significant premium these days, particularly the last regular production V12 3 pedal that Ferrari made. Of course Ferrari offered the 3 pedal option for the 575M and 599, but by far the majority of people went for the F1 option so I am not sure you can consider them regular production V12 3 pedals, they are more like special editions at this point. No, if anything I think that the real value of the 550 may be even higher than either the 575M or the 599.
    Terry seems to indicate as much in his commentary, and he usually knows what he's talking about. Perhaps Cavallino Mag only does sporadic updates and so its not a good gauge, though I feel its a good gauge with respect to the 575M and 599 here in Canada.
    Clyde

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    As volatile as prices are and as long a lead time as print publications have any printed price guide will be wanting in the current environment.
    I write for Forza and by the time I get it I reread it to remember what I wrote. I have typically already written and submitted for the next issue.

12. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    That seems like a logical explanation, though prices on the 550 have been higher for a while I believe. Yes I read Forza as well (I have an almost complete collection since the first issue). They only seem to do a price evaluation once a year, and I usually find the prices they list as being undervalued as well, but perhaps magazines feel its better to be undervalued than overvalued? Cavallino print their Guida with every issue, so one would normally assume its more accurate with respect to the fluctuations in the marketplace, but maybe not?
    There are so many experts here on FerrariChat, it might be a great idea for FerrariChat to list an ongoing price guide/evaluation on this site?
    Clyde

13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    550 should be worth the most. It is the original Maranello :)

14. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    #14 tifosi_, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    That's what I've been trying to say, which means that there is a problem with the price guide. At the same time its better than having nothing, one just has to be a little circumspect when reviewing it.
    Clyde

15. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Brian -- your section in Forza is the first one I read in the mag. I always learn something, as I do when you make entries into FChat. Frank

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #16 tazandjan, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    Clyde- There are many problems with Cavallino's price guide. If you really want to beat your head against the wall, write in and try to get something changed in that guide, like several of us have done.

17. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    That explains things then Terry. As I've said I don't buy the Ferrari Market Letter, I wonder if anyone here does and might shed light on the values? Its a pity that a revered publication like Cavallino does not print a better price guide especially since they do so with each issue. Its a disservice to themselves and to their readers in that case. Actually it would be good if Forza would start to print monthly price guides and then maybe they would up their game and start to pay more attention to this as well?
    Clyde

18. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Brian,
    I have a recommendation that might help the sales of the publication (Forza) and might force Cavallino mag to be more accurate as well. Why not have an ongoing monthly price guide in Forza mag? Considering that the market for Ferraris is volatile, it might be of interest to many readers out there. I know it would be of interest to me. At the very least I would compare it to Cavallino's Guida and form my own general opinion about the price levels based on both assessments. Just as thought. I really enjoy reading Forza magazine, and I think this would make it more relevant to its readers.
    Clyde

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Clyde- While they are at it, they could leave out the competition and very limited production models where prices cannot be accurately stated. Who needs to know the value of a 250 GTO or the remaining P4? Ridiculous.

20. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Agreed :)
    Clyde