cam timing | FerrariChat

cam timing

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by AVIMAX, Apr 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Getting ready to change my timing belts and I will be checking the timing of the cams. There is a bit of oil leaking from the front of the cam cover on bank 1-6, so this will be more than just lock and swap even though all the cam seals were replaced last time by Ferrari of Vancouver. I will check to see if the marks on the cam and cam caps line up before taking anything apart, and also to see if the cams are indeed correctly set up. I have read the 550 WSM and if I read correctly, it is not really necessary to use a degree wheel since the only reference needed is TDC. Once this is found and marked on the crankshaft, I should be good to go. Set piston #1 to TDC (compression stroke), rotate engine 360 degrees so piston # 1 is at TDC on crossover and check that the intake lifter has moved 0.70 +/-. Then move the dial gauge to the exhaust lifter while piston #1 is still at TDC on crossover, reset the dial gauge to 0 and turn the crank until the dial gauge stabilizes (lifter off the lobe I think) and check that the reading is 0.69 +/-. Repeat for the other bank and all is set. Seems pretty straight forward to me. Please let me know if I've missed something or have over simplified it.

2. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Ryan, that's basically it. Amazing how many of us owners get it wrong :)

Just be really careful when you're pulling the cams (if you're going to change the cam seals again) that you don't allow the nuts on the cam caps to pop off and the cams to pop up out of their saddles. It can take you by surprise if you're not careful.......

Also ensure you've rotated the engine to #1 TDC compression, and the cam marks on BOTH banks line up BEFORE you remove the timing belts and cams, and don't rotate the crankshaft until the cams are back in with the timing belts back on, and you're ready to start the timing procedure.

3. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    John, great tips, especially about the nuts jumping off. Thank-you.

4. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    So I am planning on doing my 575 and noticed some differences from 550. If I read the 575 WSM correctly, the 575 intake does not start opening until after TDC and the dial gage is read when crank is at 18 degrees past TDC or piston has dropped 2.43 mm.

When mine was done 5 years ago, Braden informed me the timing marks were right on. This will be a good check for me to do.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Steve- Also remember on the 575M (and 612), there are timing marks scribed on the rear of the camshafts, done after Ferrari timed the cams. You need a mirror to see them, but they are a good second check, even if the circle is kind of small. Mine were spot on after my techs degreed the cams.

6. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Good information. I leave this to the Ferrari techs... Better safe than sorry :)

7. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    oops looks like intake starts at -7 degrees, my error
    and I cannot find where I found the information on piston drop. hum??