Maranello meets Maranello | FerrariChat

Maranello meets Maranello

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Themaven, Apr 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    #1 Themaven, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yesterday I drove my 575 to meet my 550 for the first time. Although I've owned them more than a year, they live in different places. A happy moment.

Drove them back to back on the same good roads for the first time, also. Comparative driving impressions to follow shortly.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- Pretty pair. Like non-identical twins.

3. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you Terry. Non-identical twins is spot on. I had my small daughter play 'spot the difference' both inside and out. Outside was harder.

4. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Both gorgeous.

5. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    Cool-will be interesting to hear your thoughts
    looks like 7 years between the two cars.

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    With the early 575M black grille, the resemblance is even more obvious.

7. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    For me the front of the 550 seems more cohesive with the rest of the car compared to the more blunt face of the 575. It's just an opinion, there both classically beautiful.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    For me the front of the 575M seems more cohesive with the rest of the car compared to the smiley face and added on lights of the 550. It's just an opinion, both are beautiful. The 575M bumper has both more downforce and more ground clearance, too.

9. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I like the smiley face :)

10. SpeedmasterNL

SpeedmasterNL Karting

Nov 9, 2013
    For me the front of the 550 seems more cohesive with the rest of the car compared to the more cock-eyed face of the 575. It's just an opinion, there both classically beautiful.

11. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    they are both beautiful . I will be curious to hear your back to back drive comments....
    L

12. 575

575 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2009
    And yet , most people wouldn't know or be able to tell the difference.
    Both are beautiful.

13. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Absolutely fantastic. Enjoy Darius in good health.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Speedmaster- Sour grapes, eh?

15. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I think they look equally nice, but they are my children, after all.

Seriously, we are going to shoot them for one of my magazines in a couple of weeks, I will drive them both again then and then I'll post the back to back impressions. Slightly wary of doing so on this forum which has long term experts on both cars in attendance, but..watch this space as they say in my industry.

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- Not to worry, driving impressions are personal, so it will be interesting to see what you observed.

17. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    #17 MogulBoy, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    With good tyres on both cars and the pressures are set correctly(!) it will be interesting to read your impressions of your FHP equipped 575M vs. your standard 550 in terms of ride and handling.

Gearshift action will also be an interesting comparison given that we know that the later car has more sophisticated synchros.

On the assumption that you are a driving God, if you get the opportunity/space (such as on a deserted roundabout you could ***check to see that Sport mode is OFF*** and then try to provoke a little oversteer. The ASR should of course cut-in and spoil the party but you should find it to be less abrupt on the latter car (with its electronically controlled throttle) vs. the cable throttle operated 550.

Do remember though that (at least on the 575M) when the Sport mode is ON, the ASR function is only there to prevent wheel spin when accelerating in a straight line and this function is suppressed when the car detects that it is cornering. Therefore when cornering with Sport mode ON, the car will freely rotate when traction is broken which may surprise some owners if they were under the impression the full ASR functionality is always there when the ASR button is not depressed. The function of the ASR button is to suppress the ASR function in a straight line. e.g. to make it possible to spin the wheels from a standstill.

P.S. Too geeky for most I'll freely admit! but you might be in a good position to measure the front air intake on both cars. The 575M scoop is said to be larger (but I believe that the upper profile of the bonnet/hood is identical and the dimensions (the green arrow) and shape of the indentation is identical (in plan view) so it can only be that the the opening is deeper on the 575M (the blue arrow).

P.P.S. We know that the only difference in the brakes (pads aside) is that the rear caliper on the 575M has one larger piston. Perhaps you might see if the rear calipers look different?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. SpeedmasterNL

SpeedmasterNL Karting

Nov 9, 2013
    Nah, lifes too short for sour wine and cheap cars as someone has in their title here.
    Ive noticed that you often have a slight hint of showing your preferences at any given chance and if someone else does it in the exact same format as you, you go on the offense.
    Just my 0.02.

I love the 575 btw. Almost bought one, but just wanted to test my hypothesis on your behaviour, which turned out to be spot on :)

Gday.

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #19 tazandjan, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Yup, since I used to drop bombs for a living, I tend to be aggressive. In a forum like this, not much need to say my car is prettier than your car. Sort of like saying my wife is prettier than your wife. So I mirror what someone says to point out how silly that is.

Just do not get me started on black wheels.

Incidentally, we should work on your English. Cockeyed infers asymmetric, which neither Maranello is. Need to find a better word choice for your next insult.

20. SpeedmasterNL

SpeedmasterNL Karting

Nov 9, 2013
    English is my 5th language (really is), but it seems you are the one in need of some work on your English my dear chap:)
    Let me lecture you:

- Cockeyed doesnt infer asymmetric. It means turned or tilted to one side or askew. (just in case you don't know the meaning of askew: To one side or out of proper alignment). A painting can be tilted to one side and still be symmetric.
    Something that is askew doesnt mean its asymmetric, as from the midpoint both sides can be still exactly mirroring the other side and therefore symmetric.

- However, in proper English, cockeyed means foolish, crazy, ridiculous or absurd.
    Which is what I was referring to. Cockeyed - definition of cockeyed by The Free Dictionary

Next time, try knowing the words you use and stop trying to insult my intelligence.
    Class dismissed.

Gday

21. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    You are a lucky man, both look fantastic

22. RKZ841

RKZ841 Karting

Apr 22, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Jonas E
    Seriously Speedmaster - what's your point except for showing off? And by the way, intelligence has nothing to do with exact meanings of specific words...

23. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I'll try and take my tape measure and, um, let's see whether I can do the oversteer test, and report back. They have both been given the thumbs up on test drives by my experienced Ferrari techs recently, so it is quite a fair comparison.

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Speedmaster- Lots of meanings to cockeyed, none of which fit the way you used it, unless a Maranello had a flat tire. Like I said, try for a better insult next time.

How about filling in your profile, too? No idea if you even have a dog in this fight.

25. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If one of the cars had one of it's headlights aimed way off to the side it could be said to be cock-eyed. :D

From an old sea chantey which probably predates most dictionaries. :cool:

Oh, there was a little drummer and he loved a one-eyed cook He loved her oh, he loved her though she had a cock-eyed look With her one eye on the pot and the other up the chimney with a bow wow wow Fa la la la la dee dee bow wow wow