Selling my 550 ... Or not | FerrariChat

Selling my 550 ... Or not

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Philly, Jun 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Philly

Philly Karting

Aug 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Phil Gelso
    So I've posted my 550 for sale here on fchat ... Priced it very low ... Got slammed with calls and texts ... I've done a pretty poor job following up with most potential buyers as I'm just torn on this car ... It's a great gt car and a joy to drive and its in great condition but ... ( you guys are gonna light me up on this one ) ... I just don't think they're beautiful and I'm not sure what they are worth or where they're going ... I mean there's another listing here on fchat where the seller is perplexed by the lack of ready buyers at $190k ... I'm not really seeing any 550s actually selling at that number ... Anyway I can sell mine pretty quickly at 130 but is that being impulsive and dumb ?? I'm probably gonna end up buying a F430 with the proceeds ... And I'll probably not be able to buy a three pedal 430 ... So help me out folks ... I've got a 308qv and 348ts also and I enjoy both of them a lot ... Is the 550 a hold or do I bump up to 430?

2. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I think what your preferences are is absolutely up to you. No one on this board can tell you what you do or do not prefer.
    It is my opinion that the 550 will touch a million dollars. That opinion is not shared by everyone but consider that the specialty versions, Barchetta, superamerica, 6 spd 575s are already flirting with that number. It won't happen tomorrow and, if you live for today and are unconcerned with future value than it doesn't matter and you should have what you want.

There are some terrific deals on the 430 presently and I really like that car but I am moving to add the FF and possibly a murchelago in the near future.

I own 2 550s and my dad owns one. I will always have them and my father and myself have each had (and have) some very fantastic cars. Perhaps they don't haunt you but I will suspect that you will miss it when it's gone.

My call, keep the 550 and the 348. Sell the other car and get the 430.

3. Philly

Philly Karting

Aug 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Phil Gelso
    Great advice ... Thanks!

4. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Anytime. There are lots of great minds ( and crazy obsessed ones too) on this board to help with all matters Ferrari.

5. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #5 ferraridriver, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    There are about 14,000 F430 made world wide...... In 1998 only 970 of the 550's were made. So ...... I think going toward a F430 is a bit embarrassing , and going backwards. Funny thing though....... I too am looking for a F430 or gated 360....but will keep the 550.

But I feel weird wanting a F430, as everyone has them, tons of them, Billions of them.

7. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    I'd say cash out now as these have doubled in the past 2 years and are coming down in price. I have been following this market and alot of these 550's for sale have been sitting on the market the last 6-12 months.

8. Philly

Philly Karting

Aug 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Phil Gelso
    Hmmm .... Varying opinions ... I think I've got too many cars (16) ... Many I don't drive that I could sell ... And then as Petak suggests I could keep my 65degree v12 three pedal analog f car that they ain't making any more of ... And still buy an ubiquitous but awesome f430 too ... This could mean good bye to some great but underused cars ... More to come ...

9. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I'm actually spending the most time in my Superformance Cobra this year. A completely ridiculous car that is absolutely a hoot to drive. The 550 stays though, as the V12 experience is needed every now and then. Glad I got in when I did, as these cars will likely stay well north of $100K. You should keep yours as well, sell something else, and be sure to get a manual if you go for a 430. There are special cars, then all the others... :)

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Why would you want a 430 that is beaten badly on track by C7 vettes? At least the 550 has class even if you don't find the body appealing others do. So sell it and buy a BMW and bet the remainder on UK bank stocks down 25% today. Hold for a while, cash out, and buy a 488 toward the end of the model run where the car will be most developed.

11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Yeah, you do. But I enjoy your ruminations. :D

12. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    There you go... This is why the 550 is the one that is stable in price and will probably continue to go up. They are simply a car too good to get rid of. I need the money from my 550, but that thing is simply not for sale at (almost) any price. It is mine, and MINE ONLY :)

13. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    I love my 550 and will keep it for as long as I can. Although I love my Testarossa, the 550 is the quintessential Ferrari both in design and performance. It's such an easy car to drive yet offers immense performance and a timeless look. Newer Ferraris are not endearing and forgettable.

14. craterface

craterface Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
    #14 craterface, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    I too have flirted with the idea of selling.

I have about 9 collector cars and 11 vehicles overall. Just a bit too many.

The thing that kills me about modern classics like the 550 is that every mile you put on them diminishes the value tremendously. I have six vintage cars (1953-1973) and the thing I love about them is that the miles make zero difference as to whether they retain their value. It's all about condition. I sold a low mile e30 m3 I had for this very reason.

The cost of parts also kills me on the 550--catalyst 6k, AC compressor 4K. About 10x what the cost of the same parts in mass market cars. I tried the AC compressor rebuild and it didn't work.

So maybe I will just keep the 550 for life and try to have the highest mileage, most "devalued" 550 out there. But with three kids in private schools, hard to say what the responsible thing to do is.

15. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. Purchasing a 550 and intend on owning it for a long time.

I'd consider selling or trading for a 599 or F12 perhaps for equal money if the values should cross one day. In some cases the 599 is already worth less than most 550's.

16. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    cause 365gtb are <$1M.... ???

sorry i call BS on the $1M number..... maybe when all said and done and a loaf of bread costs $50.

they made thousands.....

great cars. buy sell drive what you like..... sounds like your no spring chicken and you cant take them with you.....

17. Philly

Philly Karting

Aug 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Phil Gelso
    Dang it ... I just got called old ...

18. 2HotShoes

2HotShoes Karting

Sep 2, 2015
    Chicago, IL USA
    Full Name:
    Tal &amp; Beryl
    We took our 550 out to the FCA Concours (pictures here: http://bit.ly/2016FCAMeet) with the casual intention of perhaps finding a buyer or an interesting trade. Well, that plan fell completely apart due to the sheer 3-pedal, monster torque, driving pleasure of 900 miles over a few days. Wow. We would get out of it after some hooligan behavior and look back at it sitting there, and the thing is just so dang classically beautiful. The car placed 3rd and generated some serious interest but my wife, Cowgirl (she's the one in the pictures-the car is the silver 550), simply said "Ah, noooo." And I get it. As usual, The Wife Is Right.

19. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    u might be..... or have been at this game before....

post some pics of this bad boy..wanna see some carbon fiber.

as in any investment decision...(which im sure you know) ]

what is your opportunity cost ?

20. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Many fewer three pedal 430s than there were 550s. 3083 550s. Less than half of that number, gated 430s. I have both, love both. I recommend. Big dilemma about whether to take my gated Maranello or gated 430 spider on Sunday drive tomorrow.

21. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    That's a great pair of cars to have and drive. Well done!

V12? Yup

V8? Yup

Front engine GT? yup

Mid engine Sport car? yup

Spider? yup

Coupe? yup

Again, well done.

[I have a "sort of similar pair" in that I have a mid-engine sports car coupe (CS) and a spider front engine GT (Maser GS). I wish my front engine GT spider was a v12...550B and 575SA are now collectables and not drivers, so those are out for me (the idea of looking at cars and getting off on owning them vs. driving them whenever I want is not something I can relate to). So I will look at Aston v12 spiders (there are many I guess and lord knows they depreciate.]

Oh, on thread point - I think we are in a classic car (all assets really) bubble and now there are cars on the market that aren't moving at the "hoped for" prices. 550, CS, gated cars and on and on are - imho - a tough sell at prices near the recent highs. Long term? Who the hell knows. I wish they stayed cheap(er), not just so I could afford them, but more so that people would treat them like cars and not like garage art/ego improver.

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- Best estimate for 3 pedal F430s is 1500-2000. Over 4700 3 pedal 360s.

23. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sell it. Try something else. Life's short. If you miss it that badly, you can always get another one.

24. SpeedmasterNL

SpeedmasterNL Karting

Nov 9, 2013
    Hear hear!

25. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you! I went a bit crazy with some money I earned and ended up with a good range of modern-ish Ferraris. They certainly are a contrast. I ended up taking the 430 manual out, which was great, but spent half the time wondering if I should have taken a Maranello. Very very first world dilemma.

My kid, though, loves the 430, as it's obviously a spider and also more zingy to be in.

I also agree re garage art. We have to drive our cars, even if it's as rarely as I end up having time to do.

Thank you Taz re numbers. As ever.

In conclusion, tho, OP, I'd keep the Maranello. I am..