New 456, a couple of issues | FerrariChat

New 456, a couple of issues

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by tantumaude, Jul 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Just picked up my 456 after four months of waiting...a very bittersweet experience for me.

First, I got to drive it about 80 minutes across Vancouver. By far the best car I've ever owned in terms of the driving quality. Effortless power, a superlative gearshift action, good weighted steering. I enjoyed every second of it, even in rush hour. I love how discreet it is; nobody seems to look at it twice until I step on the gas.

The car has 9900 kms on it--not a typo. That's about 6150 miles. I expected a few issues, and was actually pleasantly surprised for the most part. That said, the entire experience was tarnished by a major electrical problem.

I picked it up at the docks (I must be the first Ferrari owner to take the bus and then walk 4 kms to pick up their car!), and the battery was, of course, flat. A quick boost later, I was on the road! I drove across the city, parked in a parking lot, and couldn't start again. Called CAA (roadside assistance) for a boost, and the car ran for 30 seconds and then, disaster. The battery light came on, and the idle whimpered and died.

I had the car flatbedded (if that's a word) to my accomodations, and changed the battery (a generic group 48 was all I could find). Changed it at night in the driveway, and success! The car ran! However, the battery light was still on. I bought all the group 48s I could find (3), and brought it to the shipping office where it sits now. Hopefully the latest battery has enough juice to get it onto the train...otherwise they won't take it. Looks like a new alternator is in the cards, I'll try to find one quickly.

Anyways, in my short time driving it, I found a few issues. I suspect most of them may be related to the low voltage, but not sure.

1. There is a loud beep for about 30 seconds when the key is turned to position 2. I've read it's a low voltage alert, but it doesn't seem to affect my starting the car at all.

2. Passenger headlight only raised halfway when turned on. It wouldn't go back down. However, after 20 minutes of the car being parked, I returned to find it lowered again!

3. Passenger window will not retract when the door is opened, nor raise when it is closed. I've tried raising and lowering it via the switch, no result. Is there some way to 'reset' it?

4. Active rear spoiler seems to be misaligned--I understand the front drops at high speed, but it looks like the rear has dropped instead. No good pictures of this, sadly.

5. My steering rack seems to get stuck at either lock, i.e. it takes a fair bit more effort to turn the wheel away from full lock on either side.

6. The compartment with the front cig lighter won't open, no matter how much I push on it. Is there some hidden release? My car is Japan-spec, so there used to be an ETC module on it and wires going behind the lid, could this be the problem? How does the mechanism operate?

7. The rear ashtray keeps opening of its own accord. How Italian.

8. On that note, is there anything keeping the rear armrest latched closed, or does it just sit on the console?

Any insight appreciated. Can't wait to get the car home!

2. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What year 456?

3. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Relax,people here,especially Taz,will see you through these problems. Once sorted you will have a great car and you will know it inside out.My new to me 456 also broke down on my first drive(In the middle of the road.) Changed alternator and battery-no help. It was the main wire underneath running from alternator to starter that had worn through its cover on the frame and was shorting.Thats why the car would discharge its battery after 15 minutes of running.Now a great car,but went though many issues to get it sorted. Be patient,you wont be disappointed. I see you are in Oakville. I am north of Stoffville,about 50 Km from you . In Goodwood,have a full lift if that helps. If I can help, let me know.

4. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    @Chris: 1995 J-spec, so no airbags if that makes any difference

@Andrew: I know--I was ready for issues, but I just can't wait to drive it! Good to know about the cable, I'll be checking that...I appreciate the offer of the lift. I may take you up on it once the car gets here, assuming I can get it running first! I've ordered the 140A version of the alternator (the John Deere Marine part number) and will be ready to install. I just hope I don't have to fly back to Vancouver and do it there!

5. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #5 cls, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    1. I had this and it had nothing to do with low voltage, rather it was key warning. (Maybe I should revisit that...) I disconnected the buzzer which is under the glovebox.
    2. Could be the motor, they're a ***** to find replacements for, but I would assume they could be rebuilt. They're a Bosh motor, also used in an Alfa, you can find the part # with a little searching here. Some places have them for $600 +. I had the same motor on my spoiler go and my "bench test" was to connect it to the headlight connector. Turned out I had a loose wire in the trunk.
    3. There is a micro switch in the inside of the door part # 63724400 and outside #63859800
    4. The spoiler is attached with two bots on each side on the outsides with a simple hinge. Closer to the middle are the hinges that are attached to the rod and motor. Those are held by plastic bushes and clips. It doesn't seem possible that the outside hinges would drop. You can manually lower the spoiler if you're so inclined. Remove the rubber boot from the spoiler motor and rotate.
    5.Don't know. Do you have stock wheels? Otherwise someone might be able to answer about the rack. I haven't dug into mine.
    6. No hidden release. Pull the rear edge up. If anything is inside it can easily jam the lid. Don't use too much force on it.
    7. The rear ashtray has a plastic gear, rails, and latch. I had the same mechanism on a Porsche storage compartment that failed. My 456 latch failed too. I was able to take mine apart and fix it, but you need to take the rear seats out before you can take the console out.
    8. The armrest has no latch, but there is a little gas spring. Good luck finding one that's within spec. I am on my 4th, all bad.

6. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Thanks for the info. I'll definitely take out that buzzer. Annoying as anything!
    Relative to no. 2, the switches turn the red door light on/off as they should...is that indicative of anything?
    For no. 5, I have stock wheels, I read the variable assist loses efficacy at low voltage though.

Alternator gets here Tuesday, hopefully the car is on the truck by then!

7. user2006

user2006 Karting

Jun 29, 2006
    No 3: Put the key in the lock, turn and hold it a while. This usually resets the window lowering.

Can the window be lowered at all by the inside switch?

8. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I'll try that. Yes, the window operated normally otherwise

9. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    You probably got the car from the same guy who imported mine which also a japanese car. I flew from Mtl to Vancouver, then took a bus and a ferry to get to Victoria island and the guy picked me up in it.

Did the sale, took the ferry back with the car then dropped it off at Hansen's forwarding and flew back home.

I had both headlight motors rebuilt and changed all the relays but I'm still having issues with them. It's a frustrating car to own at times but it sure is smooth...

10. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Sometimes the headlights are just the electrical connections near the light. Spray the hinges on which the headlight units rotate with an anti seize,that usually works

11. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #11 cls, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Funny, I picked mine up in Courtenay on Vancouver Island, then took the ferry from Victoria back to the US.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Regarding the window, I may be misreading your post. The micro switches control the window drop when opening and closing (i.e. the last inch or so for the frameless glass.)

If the window isn't operating at all, a reset with the key solves some things, I would call it a "soft reset." You can also cycle power to the ECU by using the battery cut off knob located on near the battery. There's a "hard" reset that can be done by removing the panel and disconnecting the ECU at it's harness.

13. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #13 cls, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    edit: dup.

14. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    #14 tantumaude, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I bought mine in Japan and imported it myself...it's sitting at Hansen's right now though...small world

As for the window and door...there is a red warning light on the door which turns on when the door is opened, sort of a marker to warn other motorists. It activates properly. The window will also move up/down as it should with the window switches. The only issue is with the 'last inch' for the sealing against the top...it doesn't move at all there. I tried the battery cutoff, no success. I'll try removing the panel, as I need to adjust that window anyways.

Mine in Stanley Park:

15. bajakid1029

bajakid1029 Rookie

Mar 24, 2016
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Rob
    "Active rear spoiler" .. I own a 456 and don't know what this is... help 😀

16. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Hey Rob, the 456s have a movable spoiler in the diffuser area at the rear of the car. The spoiler changes position at >65mph to increase downforce at the rear of the car.

With the 456M, the spoiler is in a fixed position.

Aside from the fact that the spoiler seems to sometimes be problematic, I'm not sure why the 456M went to a fixed spoiler. Perhaps others with more in-depth knowledge can chime in (hopefully without derailing the thread too much from the OP's topic!).

Cheers!

Ruben

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    For window adjustment issues (not the lowering when door is opened issue), Fi imports fitting a new pin to the regulator will give the full range of adjustments pretty much permanently as long as the channels are not shot.

On the power steering, first thing to do would be change the fluid and bleed according to the WSM recommendations. Eliminates one possible problem and should be done every two years, at any rate. Any good Dexron III/VI synthetic ATF or Pentosin CHF 11S will work fine.

18. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I suppose I'll have to open the door panel to redo all the window stuff at once.

I'll also change all the fluids as soon as it gets home--I think it's due for filters too. I have the belts and am planning to do them as well (due to low mileage no serious servicing has ever been done! Still has the original Expedia tires from 1994 with 60% tread left)

19. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Happy update--the car made it onto the train with the remaining battery charge. Should arrive in Ontario August 9. New alternator is already here waiting :) 575 wheels are being refreshed, and new tires inbound. Finally some good news.

20. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Great! Congratulations!

21. bajakid1029

bajakid1029 Rookie

Mar 24, 2016
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Rob

Thank you Ruben!! Yes, mine is the M. Now I need to do some Google image searches to see this moveable spoiler

22. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    #23 tantumaude, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    It arrived early! Replaced the alternator, all is well.

Been digging around all night finding and fixing little annoyances since I was too excited and couldn't sleep.

Redid the HVAC panel overlay.

I fixed the passenger window issue: a simple ECU reset (turn key to unlock in driver's door, turn again and hold until windows wind down, then reverse procedure to lock until windows wind up again)

I removed the ETC module, but my ashtray still won't open. Edit: turns out it's because the PO ziptied the mechanism closed. Fantastic! Now I need to order the missing clip, part no. 65197300

Still have the annoying beep when the key is turned to position 2. Edit: turns out it's the seatbelt warning chime. I always turn the key to P2, fasten my seatbelt, then start the car. Guess I'll deal with it.

Spoiler is fixed, needed adjustment.

Passenger headlight issue was due to rubber cover on the manual knob being too tight against the PS fluid reservoir and physically preventing the knob and thus mechanism from turning. Removed the cover, fixed.

Rear ashtray still opens. Needs the same clip as the front one.

Going to finish registering it today, then wash it and take tons of pics! I rolled over 10000 kms yesterday on the test drive.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

23. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Isn't it amazing how a simple fix can solve so many problems? Mine had dum dum putty as a solution for EVERYTHING.

24. user2006

user2006 Karting

Jun 29, 2006
    Follow the sound of the beep, usually there is a little speaker under the dash on the passenger side, easy to feel. Unplug it and enjoy the silence.