Drive cycle and CA smog | FerrariChat

Drive cycle and CA smog

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by heartman, Aug 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. heartman

heartman Rookie

Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mark Sussman
    Apparently this has become a "thing" here in California where the State regulatory geniuses have decided that stored error codes for the secondary evaporative control monitor that only functions on a cold start (below 65 degrees Fahrenheit) are cause to fail a smog test. I had this happen yesterday. There is no way to clear the code other than a "drive cycle" involving a cold start and then a series of steps to try to get all the motor systems to test / reset themselves. Gary Bobileff told me this is becoming a pretty common issue around here in San Diego and a problem since our weather doesn't even get cold enough overnight for a drive cycle test until around October. Ferrari has a goofy series of steps that are almost impossible to execute in the real world unless one camps overnight in the middle of nowhere and starts the car the next morning with miles of open road around to play with. Bobileff suggested I try the standard steps from Mercedes that have worked for him: cold start, get on the freeway for about 20 miles driving ONLY between 50-55 mph, then get off and idle the car for a few minutes, then back on the freeway for another slow cruise at 50-55 mph for another 20 miles. Then pray that the stored code has been cleared.

I wondered if I'm alone in dealing with this emissions insanity. I had the same thing happen on my son's 2000 Nissan Maxima because it sat without being driven for a few months and threw a code. It took six weeks of on and off drive cycle tries (probably about 1-2 attempts per week) until we finally got past the smog check.

Last but not least, I asked Bobileff if the newer Ferraris were any better about not doing this sort of thing. He replied that they only got fussier and have even tighter tolerances for out of range monitor reads. Ugh.

2. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Yikes! I just received my 456 this week and will be doing a smog certificate this weekend... Fingers crossed!

Ruben

3. Amalfi Dream

Amalfi Dream Karting

Oct 24, 2014
    Santa Ynez, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Wait
    I purchased an OBD 2 scanner to read the codes when I was diagnosing my fuel pump relay failure. This particular one also has the ability to erase the codes. It seemed to work because after erasing and hooking up the scanner again, no codes were detected.

4. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    Unfortunately, it's not a matter of there not being any codes/CELs. After clearing codes, the car has to go through a "drive cycle" to gather data in order for the ECU to show that it's ready for an emissions check to be performed.

5. p1turbo

p1turbo Formula Junior

May 21, 2009
    san francisco
    yep

just went through it.

iirc...they even sent ?engine ecu? back to italy and reflashed it

still had one code not ready...they went through multiple cold start drive cycles as well.

had to take to smog referee...pita

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
  7. Prugna

Prugna Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Unites States
    Ive had to this now on 2 cars. The trick in each was to specifically stay below in the second segment.

This was unfortunately, yet easily accomplished by driving AGAINST the commute for a while at 50+ and then hitting traffic (intentionally) on the way back.

8. heartman

heartman Rookie

Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mark Sussman
    OK, well, maybe I got my monitor errors crossed up here earlier in the post. The post from fatbillybob prompted me to go back and look at the printout from the smog check. According to the epic fail readout, my 2001 550 failed because of the secondary air system error code which is different from the evaporative (EVAP) system. A serious bummer for me since I thought fatbillybob had given me a way out of this mess. Both secondary air system and EVAP are non-continuous monitors for the OBD, but a 2000 or newer car can pass with the EVAP code error, but not the secondary air system code. So I guess I'm still stuck with driving up and down the freeway and retesting until I can get this thing wiped out of memory (mine as well as the OBD computer).

I will be contributing to global warming for a while between 50-55 mph as I drive my polluting prancing horse up and down Interstate 5.

9. heartman

heartman Rookie

Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mark Sussman
    Just to wrap up this topic and possibly help any other frustrated F-Chatters out there, my car passed smog today without a hiccup. I knew it would because I decided to spend $100 on this bluetooth monitor that plugs into the OBD2 port and sends car trouble and readiness codes to an app that's installed in my cell phone. The app is free from the company and worked perfectly with the Ferrari 550. If you are having trouble knowing when to go back in for testing or if your drive cycle has been successfully completed then I highly recommend the investment. I simply plugged in the monitor, drove the car for a couple of weeks, and checked repeatedly until all the test code indicators went to green and the software told me I was ready to pass the smog test. The time and aggravation you'll save is well worth the $100 on Amazon. No affiliation whatsoever in any way - just relieved to know that in the years to come I have the solution for the dreaded smog test renewal.

Lemur Monitors - BlueDriver - OBD2 Bluetooth Scan Tool for Apple and Android Smartphones and Tablets

10. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    I had same issue with my 2001 XKE and finally after two months of driving, I gave up and let dealer do it in three days.

11. Amalfi Dream

Amalfi Dream Karting

Oct 24, 2014
    Santa Ynez, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Wait
    Need to get a CA smog check so I'm am going to perform the drive cycle on my 2001 456M today after having the battery disconnected through the night. Hoping not to spend countless hours doing drive cycles, I have seen other posts of the "360/575 drive cycle" and was wondering if this will work on the 456M. The Motronic 5.2 is different on the M than the 360 or 575 but will this procedure work for the 456M?

By the way, I tried the BlueDriver OBD2 reader the other day but had problems with it throwing CELS while in use. Code 1625, ASR, check engine, and transmission lights came up. The car even stayed in 1st or 2nd gear and no longer shifted gears. I stopped and disconnected the reader and everything is back to normal. Car runs great and no CEL's.

12. heartman

heartman Rookie

Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mark Sussman
    Hey Amalfi - Sorry to hear that the BlueDriver caused you so much grief. It's weird since I've tried the dongle on all three of my cars (Ferrari, Porsche, Audi) and it worked great on all of them. None are automatics, all are manual, so maybe that has something to do with it? A problem with the app on your phone (I have an iPhone)? Anyway, I've read that the company is pretty good about taking feedback and troubleshooting problems with the product, so shoot them an e-mail or call to tell them what happened in your experience and maybe they can help you out - perhaps send you a replacement. Either something is off kilter with the dongle you've got or a serious compatibility issue, but since your car and mine are both 2001 models it's hard to understand how things went so seriously off the rails for you.

Good luck with the smog check. It's a hassle for sure. I don't think your battery disconnect solution is going to take care of your CELs, because I was told that after a battery disconnect the drive cycle needs to be performed to clear a few of the codes that persist.

13. Bruce

Bruce Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2004
    I just went through the same ordeal with my Mercedes C36. I have not been driving the car too much during the past year, so it initially failed the smog test. Actually, the emissions were OK, but the problem was with OBD systems not completing their internal self checks. Apparently some of them take several drive cycles (maybe 3) to complete (from cold start to optimal operating temp). There are several you-tube videos describing the process for Mercedes, but I did not see any specific to Ferrari. Unfortunately driving the car to work or out for dinner probably won't mimic the EPA drive cycle.
    As a prior poster suggested, it would be ideal if you had miles of deserted roads, but if you're out early on Saturday or Sunday mornings, the drive cycles are doable.
    Good luck.

14. Amalfi Dream

Amalfi Dream Karting

Oct 24, 2014
    Santa Ynez, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Wait
    I contacted BlueDriver and they said the OBD2 recall may have not been wired correctly causing CEL's to throw when the car is being driven when connected to OBD2 reader. Its weird, because when OBD2 is not connected I have no CEL's.

I have a generic Bosch reader I am using when the engine is not running and get one code, that being P01625 (whatever that is) and the smog check status still indicated the secondary air system is not ready. Going on a third drive cycle today, hopefully the secondary status will be ready so I can get a smog check.

Its odd, even the Bosch OBD2 reader throws CEL's when scanning for codes. Is this normal?

Thanks to everyone for their support!

15. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I just now did a Calif smog test on my 2000 550. Car hadn't been driven in months. I ran it up the highway about ten miles and back then to the smog station.

The renewal form said it had to be a Star smog station.

He plugged some kind of wireless thing into the OBD port, let the car idle for about 10-15 minutes and said that was all it needed, no rolling road test, no sniffer up the tail pipe.

Cost me 59.95

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    California finally got smart and started doing the OBD read out only on applicable cars. Don't know why it took them so long. Other states have done it for some time. If the system says its working ok, it is. So typical of the idiots in Sacramento. Glad I'm gone.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not a problem if the battery is left connected and charged. The monitors do not erase themselves. I do not even turn off the battery when I remove the motor for repair or service.

18. Amalfi Dream

Amalfi Dream Karting

Oct 24, 2014
    Santa Ynez, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Wait
    It appears the secondary air pump isn't working. At startup I hear no vacuum cleaner sound. I've done 4 drive cycles, no codes or CEL's except P01625 but nothing related to air pump.
    Could this be the relay or ?
    The OBD says secondary air incomplete. Just want to get through smog check 😟

19. heartman

heartman Rookie

Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mark Sussman
    Hey Amalfi - the secondary air pump CEL is the absolute last one to go in the series. My experience is that rigorous adherence to the drive cycle parameters is pretty tough anyway. I managed to get through the secondary air CEL by using the 550 as a daily driver for a week. All the other CELs were gone after one day, but the secondary air pump CEL took repeated cold starts to finally be extinguished. The secondary air pump check only functions on cold start. You have to let the car sit overnight, get nice and chilly, then start the car by just turning the ignition key without touching the gas pedal and let it idle for 4-5 minutes, then drive off. Don't touch or do anything else - some people say it is even better to put on a big electrical load on the car including the window defroster, but I never bothered with that. After a few checks on cold starts assuming nothing else triggers a CEL then hopefully you will be good to go - unless your secondary air pump really is dead.

I feel your pain. Been there, done that, finally got through it. Hang in there.

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Secondary air monitor is not set during cold starting. The system tests the secondary during steady state driving at highway speeds after complete warmup. It is tested by monitoring the 02 sensors and looking for a huge change due to presence of a great deal of extra air. It typically requires a restart hot or cold after the test for the monitor to actually set.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  21. heartman

heartman Rookie

Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mark Sussman
    Hey Rifledriver. Sorry if I got it ass-backwards. I probably should not believe everything I read on the web. There's lots of stuff about the benefits of the secondary air injection system on cold start like this stuff pasted below:

<<snip>>
    Environmental protection: Secondary air injection is the most important method of reducing the high concentrations of carbon monoxide and unburned hydrocarbons during cold starting. As such it makes an essential contribution to minimising harmful substance emissions in this phase and ensuring compliance with current emissions standards.
    <<end snip>>

From here: Secondary air system

Or if you need something to fall asleep at night:

Effects of Secondary Air Injection During Cold Start of SI Engines

So I just figured based upon what I read that the secondary air pump function would be critical for cold start and resetting the CEL properly.

Merry Christmas (or whatever you're into)

22. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Secondary air injection does work at cold start to help lower emission. But, to actually test the functionality of the secondary pump, the computer waits for the system to wam up, then turns on the secondary air pump to inject extra air into the exhausts, it sees that condition by looking at the O2 sensors output. Once the secondary air injection monitor is passed, the pump does not run during normal operation again.

So it works during cold starts, but it is tested during fully warm operation.

23. heartman

heartman Rookie

Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mark Sussman
    Thanks - good to know. Also explains why driving around town for a week is a good way to get there CEL for the secondary air pump to disappear, even though it only really does its job on a cold start.

24. 456dreamer

456dreamer Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 19, 2021
    Aptos, CA
    Full Name:
    Menko
    I am going to add on on this thread, I need help desperately. I bought a 2002 456M GTA 4 weeks ago from Colorado and imported to CA. It passed Smog in CO, which seem to have very similar standards as the smog test here in CA. I have now driven over 600mls, city, highway, mountains, etc. I have had at least 15 cold starts if not more. I failed smog 4 weeks ago, failed 2 weeks ago Image Unavailable, Please Login and I failed today. Secondary Air System and Evap both not complete. Attached the printout from Mar26, today the same results. There is also a P1625 fault code that I don't understand and I am not sure if it has any impact on the Smog test.

I have done lots of crazy things with Drive Cycle: I have done the
    1. Ferrari: cold start, idle 4min, 3.5mls @2250rpm in 3rd or 4th gear, slow down in 4thgear from 4500rpm (!!!!) to 2000rpm, stop5min idle, turn off. Restart and drive normally (?) for 10min. I have done this twice early mornings getting up to >>150mph to get to 4500rpm in 4th. Did not work.
    2. Mercedes: cold start, drive 20mls 50~55mph, idle 4min, drive 20mls 50~55mph. Did not work.

I have read through all relevant and non relevant threads I believe, but I could have missed something.
    I have driven the following trips: 40mls through the hills in CA, 60mls highway, 10mls city etc etc. Total 600mls. Still, the 2 monitors are not completed.

I do hear the high pitch Air compression at cold startup and it disappears once engine is warm. There are not other lights (no check engine light) on the dashboard. Car drives great, I just cannot get it through Smog and after 4 weeks, I still don't have plates. My temporary expires in a couple days.

What do I need to do to get those monitors compete? Anybody any advice? Suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!

25. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #25 ferraridriver, Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    For the SAI monitor to be complete it is necessary for the coolant temperature and intake air temperature to be within 11 degrees of each other. The Motronic is reading the sensors to allow the SAI parameters to be met. It is entirely possible that the two sensors are just enough out of range that, although the gauge reading are present and look proper, the Motronic ECU sees them as more than 11 degrees apart.

It is absolutely possible for the SAI system to be fully functionable, everything working as it should, air being injected into the exhaust as it should and still the monitor will not go complete because the ECU is not allowing the test to be preformed until the proper temperature difference read by the ECU.

Solution is to replace both sensors, start with the intake air sensor as it is easy and cheap.

As for the codes you are getting, be very suspect as Ferrari at that time had the status of a "Limited Production" importer and as such was not required to provide "Manufacturer Specific" codes, only the generic codes starting with P0xxx. P1xxx codes are not supported. In other words there is no Ferrari list of P1xxx codes since Ferrari never used them, they used the SD 1/2/3 for diagnostic purposes.

It is true the some P1xxx codes will be accurate, the Audi list is a good example, that's because Ferrari sourced the Motronic from Bosch "Off the shelf" instead of haveing a bespoke Motronic made due to costs involved in such a limited production run.

As to the drive cycle to reset the SAI monitor, that is a complete falsehood. The SAI monitor will reset without moving a foot! It requires two cold starts, i.e., two overnight cold soak starts to get the coolant and intake air temperatures within 11 degrees. The drive cycle is required for the other monitors though including the Evap monitor.

The reason for this 11 difference parameter is to let the ECU know that the car is really starting from cold and requires a richer mixture.

As for the Evap monitor, the fuel level must be between 3/4 and 1/4 full, it won't set on a full or empty tank.

California does not require the Evap monitor to be complete the pass smog, it is the only monitor that can be "Not Complete" and pass the test.

Qavion and 456dreamer like this.