this 550 at Mecum only made 67K? | FerrariChat

this 550 at Mecum only made 67K?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by kenehresman, Nov 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenehresman

kenehresman Karting

Jul 15, 2012
  2. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Gotta be a story car, and mecum's not the place to move these

3. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    I could be wrong, but I believe this car was being offered about one year ago by Sheehan. If had a full repaint (note the chin spoiler in body color) due to a bad wrap job -- when removed, the paint was significantly damaged. Also note the Alcantara door panels and gauge pod. These two features give the car away.

4. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Body gaps seem to be way off in the front hood as well as headlamps, judging from the pics.

Cheers,

Ruben

5. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    And yet ... the market seems to be softening.

Will Trump cause a resurgence in F-car prices?

Will he make F-car values great again?

Stay tuned ...

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    That looks to be a real beater but still, 67?

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Wonder if the windows are both down because that is the only way to close the doors?

8. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Storied or not that's a great deal for someone that wants to drive the hell out of it without worrying about depreciation / mileage. :)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  9. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    The gotcha there may be "how much will it cost to be able to 'drive the hell out of it'"... as the saying goes, "the only thing more expensive than a Ferrari is a cheap Ferrari".

Cheers!

Ruben

10. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    He better, didn't he promise that also? I think it was in the second debate

All jokes aside, boosting fcar prices would be a heck of a lot easier than some of his plans

Damn true. Maybe at $67k this guy's going to gamble and drive it like hell until something breaks-and start opening up the wallet then. Love these cars-that would be a blast. Of course that could be a painful gamble depending on what finally breaks!

11. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
  12. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
  13. alexkam

alexkam Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Sunny CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
  14. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

550. Modern classic, future "classic" they're collectible!

Place your bets folks :)

Where have all the hype-men gone? I am already beginning to miss the fantasies that were spewed from their mouths/keyboards.

15. Renman57

Renman57 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Reynolds
    No question that the 550 is a modern classic!

16. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    For sure more appreciated than they were a few years ago. What will the market sustain for value? Don't care a ton, but I don't think they will bounce off the bottom again on their own...

17. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Relisted on their own website...so nope, it was a shill bid of their own that bought it

18. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    Read the thread above, jeez. That car DID NOT sell for $89K and is current relisted by the same seller with a Buy-it-now price of $169K.

2001 Ferrari 550 N/A | eBay

19. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    be sure to link ^^^ that thread to the next "is the winning bidder legally bound to purchase....." ebay thread.

20. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink

Directly from eBay:

Non-binding bid policy

21. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    yeah i know but there is always a new thread on it....

22. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    #22 jvmax, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  23. challengersound

Dec 1, 2016
    Playa Del Rey
    Full Name:
    John McGuire
    Went looking for a C1 Corvette... They were all a bit crappy there, and saw that no one was bidding on any European models at all (GO TO AUCTIONS IN RURAL AREAS IF YOU WANT A GREAT DEAL). The 550 has been on the list for the collection for awhile, but never saw any that were worth the money that was being asked or that I could afford at the time.

So here came this car, I put my limit on what I would spend on it... and was still way under.

Got it back to LA about a month ago, took it for a good run then straight to my mechanic. Engine and transmission are in great shape. Stripped down all the rubber hoses and replaced them, fixed a couple of the minor little electrical items (switches unplugged and replacing bulbs), then put 400 miles on it in one day to find the breaking point.... drivetrain is solid.

It looks like this car was used as a track car by its second owner and they stripped out the interior, put a spoiler on the back of it and most likely a different front end, second guy got it back and put in a "custom" horrible carbon fiber package interior and he was the guy that did the bad matte black wrap and I believe showed it at SEMA for whatever "custom" work was done to it. The guy I bought it from had it for a bit, pulled off the wrap to a destroyed paint job and finally sold it for below his reserve to me. Car has a bit of small head ache fixes it needed and I don't think the owner had the energy or love to do it. He mentioned he just got an F40

I've starting pulling out the interior panels, some silliness with the door locks which I've already ordered the parts to fix, and I'm gonna replace the full interior to restore it to its factory order. Should be done mid December.

Then I'll drive the **** out of it but keep the milage just under 45k, do all the body work that it needs and that I will inevitably add to the list, then cover it up and add it to my collection of v12s... Got a good spot next to a 72 Jaguar XKE that will be perfect for it. My daughter took her first steps the day I got the car, so its got good karma and it's the first car the Mrs. really likes.... So all good things.

If anyone knows anything about this one, would love to hear about it.

All the Best.

Jon Von Bon and carguyjohn350 like this.
  24. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    ^^ Congrats! :)

Sounds like you've got a good plan for this car.

25. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Congrats John and welcome! It definitely seems like you have a good plan for it and went in with eyes wide open. Best of luck, enjoy the ride, and let us know how it goes!

Cheers!

Ruben