550 Maranello Airbag ECU - Solved | FerrariChat

550 Maranello Airbag ECU - Solved

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Vereeken, Dec 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vereeken

Vereeken Formula Junior

May 16, 2014
    Belgium
    #1 Vereeken, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I managed to solve the Airbag issue on the 550.
    Symptom: Airbag light on that can not be cleared by ECU Scan or SD.

Cause: Airbag ECU capacitor (1 of 3) broken. If you look carefully you will notice a "bulge" on the capacitor. That is not normal.

Solution replace with a 550 Maranello ECU new or secondhand or cheaper replace with a Alfa Romeo 145/146 ECU (plenty on ebay).

You can query the 550 ECU by using a multiscan ECU tool set to Alfa 145 (Version TRW MY97 2F). If the scan is not able to communicate it means the ECU is dead. You can clear error codes and crash data once you are in. No need for a SD

All this is valid for EURO 550 but I am sure it works just as well with US versions.

The airbag ECU can be found between the seats. Best to remove them for clear access. Disconnect battery (+ and -) before dissasambly.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  2. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Thanks for sharing this info. Hope I never have to do this on my car though. :D

3. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    Did you try swapping out the burned capacitor to see if that would fix your old one?

4. Vereeken

Vereeken Formula Junior

May 16, 2014
    Belgium
    I am not brave enough ;o)

But with Alfa 145 ECU's going between 18 and 48€....

5. Genyosai

Genyosai Formula Junior

May 28, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I need to try this. Can you give me the brand/model of the multiscan tool that you can use to query an Alfa airbag ecu??

6. Vereeken

Vereeken Formula Junior

May 16, 2014
    Belgium
    Any brand will do.

If you go to a multi-brand garage they have a multi-scan tool.

I do not think you can get away with the 50 dollar scan tools they are just too limited and the Alfa is an old dog.

Look into the tool under Alfa (Fiat Punto is also ok). If you find the 145/146 you are in business.
    My guess is that a 148 is also ok.

Next look for Airbag. You need the TRW MY97 2F version.

This means manufacturer TRW Mid Year 1997 model version 2 Front airbags.

If you are in the US high likely your Airbag ECU is wired to the ODB2 port. Lucky you.
    If you are in Europe the Airbag Ecu is not wired to the OBD2 but is seperate.

You can find the three pin Airbag ECU in the pax footwell behind the footboard or tucked away behind the glove comparment. It is a fat yellow sleeved cable with a three pin connector. You will need the FIAT to OBD2 connector on ebay 10€ a piece.

No need for power to the car, the multiscan will power the airbag ecu.

If you can query the ecu you are in luck. Just reset and done.

7. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Everyone loves a happy ending.

Congratulations and thank you for sharing.

8. Genyosai

Genyosai Formula Junior

May 28, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Ah! I understand. Thank you. I know a couple of people that run garages and have such a multiscan tool. I thought you meant something specific to fiat... kind of like the Durametric system I have for my Porsche cars.

My 550 is a euro spec, but it has been converted to meet some US regulations and I know some obdii conversion was done as well. Hopefully I can communicate with the airbag ecu via the obdii port.

I'll keep you posted.

9. Vereeken

Vereeken Formula Junior

May 16, 2014
    Belgium
    No nothing FIAT specific. If you are not on obd 2 you need the odb2 to three pin converter. It does not need to be Fiat specific, VAG group convertors also work.

You could also insert the airbag ecu pins in the obd 2 connector under the steering wheel but the original wire is too short...so a total faff.

10. Genyosai

Genyosai Formula Junior

May 28, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    #10 Genyosai, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    Do you mean something like this:

Multiecuscan - Diagnostics software for Italian cars

used with this:

Multiecuscan - Diagnostics software for Italian cars

Found this on eBay. Looks like what I need to use the Multiecu Software:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MultiECUScan-Scan-3-Pin-KKL-VAG-OBD-Engine-Airbag-Alfa-145-146-155-Fiat-Punto-/271566509189?hash=item3f3aa01485:g:EFoAAOxyRhBS2~AF

Can you tell me the exact fiat airbag ecu part number you had success with? I see so many on eBay and they all look a little different, so I don't know which one fits the 550 Maranello.

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Many systems even in the US models prior to 360 were not connected to the OBD2 plug. Except for Motronic I don't even bother trying. I just go straight to the ALDL plug for all other systems.

12. Genyosai

Genyosai Formula Junior

May 28, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Yeah, I was thinking I'd just go straight to the 3-pin connector using the above Vagcom w/ 3-pin obdII adaptor... if I can find it (I understand it's either behind the glovebox or in the passenger footwell area

I just saw this in the GREAT cross-referencing thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/145087329-post276.html

So TAZ answered my question of "which Alfa ecu part no."

First I'm going to get the Vagcom/adaptor stuff (cheap enough) to see if I can query the airbag ecu at all. If I can, I'll just attempt to clear the faults. If I can't, I'll spring for the Alfa 145 /146 ecu (about $40 on eBay) and see what happens.

13. Vereeken

Vereeken Formula Junior

May 16, 2014
    Belgium
  14. Genyosai

Genyosai Formula Junior

May 28, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Hello. Before I get started, I see a very fat yellow cable just behind the glovebox. It seems to be strapped away very well and follows a raceway parallel to the glovebox, but I see no connector. Is it possible that I must pull the passenger side footwell trim, because the cable seems to run from behind the glovebox to behind the carpet trim.

Thanks.

15. Vereeken

Vereeken Formula Junior

May 16, 2014
    Belgium
    Yes that is it. If you remove the footwell carpet you should get the cable. It is actually a yellow jacket I think the cables are red and brown or something like that.

You should see a 3 pin connector but with only 2 live cables.

If I remember well it was zip tied away as well.

16. Genyosai

Genyosai Formula Junior

May 28, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Great! Thank you. I didn't want to remove the footwell carpet unnecessarily :)

17. Harris Knecht

Harris Knecht Rookie

Jul 11, 2019
    houston
    Full Name:
    Nemo
    Is there any chance this process will set off the airbags

thx

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Whenever working on the airbag system, use the vehicle battery cutoff switch AND it's also recommended that you wait for the ECU capacitors to discharge. I haven't found any specific times, but I'd wait an hour or two.... or overnight if you're the nervous type :D