Another shameless plug for Maranellos, including my own two cars | FerrariChat

Another shameless plug for Maranellos, including my own two cars

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Themaven, Jan 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
  2. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Darius, excellent piece, with only one of your comments do I disagree: "And while I would never claim my own Ferrari 575 (2004, manual, with “FHP”) is anywhere near as beautiful as one of the 1960s cars,..."

As I've written elsewhere on FChat, walk around any Maranello; from every viewpoint and perspective, there is not a single line that is less than flawless. I believe that the Maranello may be the most beautiful Pininfarina/Ferrari design ever, including the SWB, 250GTO, Lusso, 275's, GTC's and Daytona. But what do I know, I drive blue Ferraris (575M, F355, 412).

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Re theorem: in a bubble 'collectors' will believe anything that implies greater exclusivity be it MP4-12C built at MTC not MPC or manual 599 whether or not they are necessarily superior (see also Semper Augustus tulip)

4. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Nice article, Darius. I'll add two sentiments:

The first is that I don't necessarily think the 'modern classic' appeals only to the younger generation; instead I'd suggest that the niche has it's place among and instead of '60's (+/-) cars amongst '60's (+/-) year old owners, for the reasons in my next point - which includes this generation as a subset of a larger population.

The second is that there is a new value proposition developing in modern classics, and that is utility. By that I mean the availability of incremental use is real. Consider the accessible performance, reduced risk exposure, increased destination options, and reliability/robust build quality of a Maranello compared to a 275 GTB, while still retaining the passion, pedigree, and art. That has to become more and more compelling to singular owners, collectors, and anyone in between, in regard to demand for modern classics (with Maranello's as a prime example).

As much as the people deride concours ownership, the reality is simply that 275 GTB's aren't typically used to go for a quart of milk anymore - but a 550/575/etc certainly can be, and I can't think of a better way to do it.

-Joe

5. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Darius, thank you for the article, you're a real "ambassador" for our beloved model.... ;-)!

Perfectly explained, think the same way.

6. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    +1 Great article

Nothing to add other than, I've been contemplating about selling my 575M lately maybe for a FF or 599. However, every time I look at the 575M against either, I just don't/can't get that same feeling when looking at the 575M. Not sure how to articulate into words, others here have better vocabulary to put into words, for me, it's just a feeling you know when something/someone is special.

7. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you for all the very interesting comments.

Seth, I remember you saying the same thing before about the Maranellos. Still, if you show pictures to artistically inclined non-car people, they tend always to go for the Sixties Ferraris, without knowing what/when they are from. And much as I love the Maranellos, for me the looks don't come close to the heartbreak Ferraris of that era. (To drive, is a different matter.)

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- Nice article and pretty much matches my thinking. The number I have for 575Ms is 2064 (from Maranello Concessionaires) and the only other published number I have seen is 2056.

Could easily have had a 3 pedal back in 08 when I bought mine, but I wanted to try the F1 system after 50 years of driving 3 pedal cars. Turns out I really like F1. Takes a while to learn how to drive it well, but once you do....

No maintenance issues with F1 if well maintained. Unfortunately, many early F1 owners do not realize the system should be fully serviced (fluid change, bleed, PIS optimized) at least every 3 years.

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you Taz and you are right (of course!), the numbers I have tally with yours at 246 gated and 1818 F1. I'll get that corrected.

10. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Appreciate you love your F1 but as the article states.........

"Ferrari will never make any more of its metal-gated manual transmission cars: they are all automated, “paddleshifts” now, much more efficient but with less soul. A Ferrari 575 or 599 with the manual transmission is the last such car (V12 Ferrari) ever to be made: it combines soul, driving quality, scarcity, brand and the end of the line kudosFerrari will never make any more of its metal-gated manual transmission cars: they are all automated, “paddleshifts” now, much more efficient but with less soul. A Ferrari 575 or 599 with the manual transmission is the last such car (V12 Ferrari) ever to be made: it combines soul, driving quality, scarcity, brand and the end of the line kudos"

This is what makes the front engined V12 metal-gated cars true classics.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    They will never make any more dry plate clutch F1 systems, either, and I read the article. The new ones are all DCT. Not the same thing.

12. contadino

contadino Karting

Oct 18, 2016
    ITALY
    Now the F1 gearbox do not like at the classic owners, all want the 550 or the 575 manual because is rare and the driving is pure ......
    Than, you induce me to think that the driving of a scuderia is not pure and enjoy because is only F1, and Scud will be not a very classic car?
    My thinking is that from more years also the F1 gearbox will become a rare system produced only for a limited period of time 1994-2012 ... we can only wait the future ....

I hope nobody will be offended...

Cheers

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #13 tazandjan, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Mario- The first F1s for the F355 did not actually appear until 1997. The first F1 355 Owners Manual was published in December 1997. Ferrari started using the F1 transmission in Formula One in 1989.

14. contadino

contadino Karting

Oct 18, 2016
    ITALY

I'm sorry Taz,
    thanks for the correcting ...
    The "F1 era" it is reduced from 1997 to 2012 ...

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mario- They did use them in F1 from 1989.

16. contadino

contadino Karting

Oct 18, 2016
    ITALY
    Yes, if i remember correct, first time in F1 was in Brazil with Nigel Mansell ..... The F1 designed from John Barnard ...

17. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    Agree that the F-1 shift cars will have a following going forward-completely different beast to a DCT car.

18. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    +1000

And to compare the production number of 575 manuals with FHP to 250GT SWB is verging on the mindless. Let's hope the magazine's readership has a better understanding.

19. mpurcy

mpurcy Karting

Jan 29, 2013
    Oceanside Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Excellent!

20. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    This is why we don't have readers' comments sections in the magazine.

21. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you!

22. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Not undermine Darius's valiant efforts, suspension components or gorgeous cars.

On the usability question, the major disadvantage of the "modern classic" is the importance accorded by collectors to mileage. So driving your 250 on the tour auto does nothing to harm value whilst driving your Maranello regularly arguably does. Thus to an extent the tables are turned. If you have a "vintage classic" then drive on ! If you have a "modern classic" particularly one with sub 15 k miles an economist would say keep it in a box.

Maybe a glass one, next to your Nguchi coffee table and art book stack?

If you have 30 K plus miles, you have a "driver". Enjoy it, unless the market dumps you could still hold value or even make money, but don't expect to be making auction headlines any time soon.

23. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    #23 Canuck550, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2017
    Its not only about the production quantity when cars are valued especially in Ferrari's case..

Racing pedigree plays a large role for Ferrari, most 60's era cars were race cars first then sold to the public.

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The best selling Ferraris in the 60s were the 2+2s and GTs, pretty far removed from race cars except by heritage and engine similarities. As in 950 GTEs, 1075 330 GT 2+2s, 750 GTCs, and 800 365 GT 2+2s. Plus throw in the pure street GTS models. The numbers of Ferraris with any racing history pale in comparison.

25. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I completely agree, Graham, and that's why I bought my 575 with some miles on (31k now I think) so I wouldn't mind about driving it. I have other modern classics with very low miles which will probably do better value wise. However I wonder whether modern classics will follow the well trodden route of condition and provenance supplanting miles after 30 or so years. That's much more important than miles on a Daytona, for example, and there are far fewer gated 575s than Daytonas.