456 M trunk lid gasket | FerrariChat

456 M trunk lid gasket

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by dencap, Jan 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dencap

dencap Karting

Sep 29, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Caponigro
    I had the misfortune of ripping the trunk lid gasket on my 456 M, at the bottom adjacent to the latch area. Something, unknown to me, must have been dragged across the gasket, and tore the left side completely off.

In the Ricambi catalog it did not have a cost listed, and instructed buyers to"Call". The price of the gasket is $386.

Needless to say, I am searching for an alternative, which is somewhat doubtful. I will probably have to "bite the bullet".

Word of caution to 456 owners, protect that gasket. It is in a very precarious location if you use the trunk space often.

Dennis

2. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Try contacting this outfit. They make custom molded rubber and it's likely they can help you.

3. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    #3 Canuck550, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2017
    I read somewhere, perhaps it was the sticky at the top, a Nissan Altima trunk gasket, was quite similar, take a look at that sticky...my memory doesn't serve me as well as it once did

Update found it post 144 in sticky above, was for 550/575
    May be compatible with 456, may want to look at this further

4. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    As others have already indicated, a lot of types of car body rubbers can be obtained from rubber supply sources, ebay, etc. You just need to identify the correct profile and find a source.

5. dencap

dencap Karting

Sep 29, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Caponigro
    Thanks all for the help. I will now start to look for alternatives.

Dennis

6. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I paid about $250 from Eurospares for the factory gasket.

7. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Happend to me too dragging a suitcase out of the back once- I bit the bullet & replaced it

Now I'm ultra careful...

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The rubber is sold by the foot by T Rutlands and GT Car Parts, 2 of the oldest and most experienced Ferrari parts suppliers on the planet.

9. dencap

dencap Karting

Sep 29, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Caponigro
    Thanks all for the help.

Dennis

10. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    I have a 1997 456GT with a trunk weatherstrip in need of replacement.

On the heels of your suggestion, I obtained a brand new NISSAN 848303TA0B GENUINE OEM WEATHERSTRIP on eBay for $35. Hey, I thought, if it doesn't work on my 456 I can certainly take the hit.

Once it arrived I noticed immediately that the section of the Nissan item isn't the same as that of the 456GT weatherstrip. In fact, it looks quite a bit different, though the height is identical.

Just for kicks, I removed the old strip and installed the Nissan one and... it works! Not only does the lid close producing a solid sound that leaves no doubt as to the fact that lid and seal make full contact, but it also passed the water hose test. I washed the car and once I was done the trunk was completely dry, with clear evidence that the water was running down around the outer edge of the strip.

To summarize: the NISSAN 848303TA0B weatherstrip is a suitable replacement for the 456GT OEM trunk strip. Don't let the different section design fool you: it works.

11. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Awesome. Thanks for experimenting!

12. dencap

dencap Karting

Sep 29, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Caponigro
    Thanks for the information.

Dennis

13. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You consider reposting the summary in the sticky that cross-references parts. Most useful.

14. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Done!