Current European 550 values ? | FerrariChat

Current European 550 values ?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by MontpellierVanMan, Jan 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MontpellierVanMan

Dec 10, 2016
    Montpellier, France
    Full Name:
    Rory
    #1 MontpellierVanMan, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Some observations on current European 550 prices.

There are in excess of one hundred 550s for sale over here right now, I've been looking at a lot of them. Hands-on.

Belgium, Holland, UK, France.

Asking prices go from 80.000€ to 150.000€ and over, for RHD super-low mileages.

Even 100.000km cars at 90.000€.

Interestingly, very few have any options over here - just shields on maybe half the cars, some coloured calipers, otherwise very little, and none that I've seen that are "loaded".

But the market appears to have been dead for months, clearly many buyers who bought at 50K and now think they can flip at the double.

Except there are too many of them .........

The only LHD sales I'm aware of in the last month took place at the same dealer in Lyon, France, last week.

Agreable people, good reputation, commission-sellers, selling with a warranty, nice show-room, pretty lighting, right by the Lyon-Geneva motorway, good web-coverage, good grasp of languages.

All the stars line up.

Two Red/Black cars, 22.000km and 44.000km respectively, full wholly-European histories, recently serviced, very clean, no sticky-switches (yet, and at least no cack-handed attempts).

Un-saleable, for months, at 110.000€.

On Tuesday they tell the sellers to get real, and at 89.5000€ they're gone within the week.

And my visit on Saturday morning was 48h too late ..........

So your ex-Japanese with dull inside/outside combos at 120.000€ ?

Forget it - for now at least.

Link to GTSpirit Lyon : FERRARI, 550 Maranello - GT spirit

2. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
  3. MontpellierVanMan

Dec 10, 2016
    Montpellier, France
    Full Name:
    Rory
    Yes Mogul, that was just before I started plotting the sales - very rare to see one with that much kit overe here, at least currently on the market.

4. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Mine is not for sale so I keep on driving it! Hoped to race an Aventador out of a toll station in Cannes today, but he lost his visa card on the ground and could not get the gate to open... Haha! I won ��

5. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    #5 Jürgen Geisler, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Mogulboy, it seems, it has been sold, the link is no longer activ. Rory, just recognized, that the car has been sold at a reduced price.....

Seems, the Ferrari market is difficult now, not only in Europe but as well in the US, when I have a look at the last auction results (…in generally...).

So, let's keep the cars and enjoy them.

6. ferrally

ferrally Rookie

Sep 9, 2016
    Spain
    The 550 at RM Duemilla Route auction in Italy (2 months ago) has been sold for 117500 Euros.

7. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I looked at a Grigio Titaneo 575M F1 in Monaco yesterday. The car looked like new. 120.000 Euro!

8. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
  9. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Congrats to the 308' dollar Maranello owner. It is a very very exclusive (gentleman) club for those who are crazy enough to pay those money for that car.

10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I kind of like the axe murderer red interior of that gated 575. But it looks like it comes from a completely different car to mine (beige Daytonas).

What does that No Cal warning sign mean? No calipers?

Sorry to derail the thread.

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- It likely means he needs new TPMS sensors. Your 575 can do the same thing.

12. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    No calibration performed would be my first guess. Tire pressure monitoring system works out of a theoretic rolling speed of all four wheels. If one spinns faster it means the diametre have changed (low pressure) and it alerts. After changing wheels there is some kind of procedure to follow... I have the same on my 2002 M3. On that car there is a button to press when doing the calibration.

13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Ok, thanks Taz. I look forward to that.

So far the 575 has been strangely reliable.

14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    There's another thing I've learned. I had assumed it somehow measured the actual pressures.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- The TPMS has no clue on the diameter of a tire. They are strictly pressure, and sometimes temperature, measuring sensors and transmitters, usually mounted on the tire valve (always on Ferraris). On Ferraris with TPMS, there is an antenna in each wheel well that receives the signal (315 MHz or 433.9 MHz) from the sensor and sends it to the TPMS ECU for warnings and display.

16. Vereeken

Vereeken Formula Junior

May 16, 2014
    Belgium
    Terry are you sure of that? Or does this remark only relate to Ferrari.

I do believe that TPMS on a Porsche works with rolling diameter/speed delta hence also the reset procedure after putting in air, drive for 3kms...
    Equalizing the pressures in all 4 tires does nothing to the warning. Only after driving for 3kms it resets.

Again I am no expert but always want to understand how things work

17. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    #17 MogulBoy, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    You are of course right. It was very late when I wrote, and I forgot you had just posted these things. On the BMW however, the system has no pressure sensors but work out of diameter calculation based of ABS/ESP sensors. Thanks for clearifying!!

19. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Prices in Holland come from < KE 90 ... Ferrari 550 occasions | Tweedehands Ferrari 550

20. Vereeken

Vereeken Formula Junior

May 16, 2014
    Belgium
    Yup. I can see why this system did not make it into 2017 ;o)

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There are two types of TPMS systems, indirect, which uses the ABS wheel sensors to sense tire rotation rates and thus infer tire diameter and tire pressure, and direct, which uses direct reading and transmission of tire pressure (and sometimes temperature) and transmits the readings. Indirect systems tend to be cheaper, but less flexible than direct systems. Indirect systems cannot directly measure tire diameter, but only the differential in tire rotation rates. If different size wheels/tires are fitted that change the differential they were programmed to see, a TPMS fault will result. Also, if all four tires deflate at the same rate, no rotation differential will be sensed, and no warning will result, even if tire pressures become dangerously low.

"Currently, there is one significant flaw with the indirect TPMS which poses a threat to the use of this system in the future.* According to the latest ruling by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), a TPMS must warn the driver when the pressure in one or more tires falls 25% or more below the vehicle manufacturer&#8217;s recommended cold inflation pressure or a minimum inflation pressure specified in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, whichever is higher.* Since the design limitations of current indirect TPMS technology prevent the system from detecting when all four tires are equally underinflated, vehicles with these systems are no longer compliant with TPMS requirements.* If indirect TPMS technology improves to address this issue in the future, these systems may again be seen on new vehicles."

In the US, all vehicles manufactured after 1 September 2007 must have direct TPMS systems installed, because indirect TPMS systems will not recognize a 25% decrease in deflation if all four tires deflate equally, not meeting the letter or intent of the TPMS law.

I doubt BMW or Porsche are still using indirect systems for Europe and ROW models and then fitting completely different systems to US only models, but have not done any research to confirm one way or the other. Categorically, though, it can be stated that all systems fitted to US models after the 2005 ruling on indirect systems, are direct reading systems with sensors reading tire pressures directly.

Systems like the Huf-Beru (OEM on Ferrari and Porsche) and VDO (OEM on Mercedes) are direct pressure reading TPMS systems. Antennae in the wheel wells simplify installation without having to program each sensor and the ECU with location information.

So, yes, direct reading systems did make it into 2017. About the only difference from early systems, like those fitted to the 575M in 2002, is that universal usage has severely reduced the cost of the TPMS sensors and related components.

22. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hmmm my 2012 VW Passat used the Indirect TPMS system, with the issues listed. I believe that the indirect system was used thru at least the 2015 Passat.

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #23 tazandjan, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Jim- Will do more research, but I think that DOT ruling came out in 2005.

Yup, it did. A hybrid indirect system was a possibility, with 2 pressure sensors at opposite corners front and rear, but no manufacturer was planning on that when the rules were finalized in 2005. Indirect systems cannot pass the 25% on all 4 tires requirement the went into effect.

Here is the entire ruling plus justification.

Image of 2012-2014 VW Passat TPMS sensor.Beats me where this fits.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Vereeken

Vereeken Formula Junior

May 16, 2014
    Belgium
    Intresting reading. I do not understand why an indirect would not be able to sense all 4 low if the rotation reference was also compared to a hard coded reference on top of the differential with the other 3.

So if they now read direct pressures, why then does the warning not go away after I have equalized tire pressures. I need to drive 2 or 3 km for it to go away...

Maybe Indirect has its limitations but what about accuracy in direct pressure sensors. A pressure valve in a harsh environment needs to be replaced periodically to allow for accuracy...I do not think that is a issue with indirect ones.

25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    IMO fair value is 140K for one in very good condition. They where too cheap ~2 years ago. Funny enough my idea of fair value is on the high end (ignoring the fantasy land asking price for RHD cars), and I'm a buyer...However, even at lower values cars are simply not selling. One or 2, fine, but few actually sell.

2 years ago you couldn't even get halfway through the option list of a 458 or you'd accidentally specced a Ferrari 550 in options!