550 Oil Hose Leak | FerrariChat

550 Oil Hose Leak

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Canuck550, Jan 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Have an oil hose leak in a line which is no longer available 180811.

Would prefer not to buy a used hose, which will develop a leak down the road.

I am having a heck of a time, in Canada, finding a source to rebuild my oil hose...

Can someone put me onto a hose re builder that can do this in the USA?
    I travel often to the USA

Thank You
    Ron

2. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Some time ago Terry identified a company that can rebuild the hose (assume it's one of the braided ones). Also believe Dan at Bradan can rebuild it.

3. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    #3 cwwhk, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    It depends on what is leaking.

If braided hose section, then any local heavy equipment hydraulic hose shop can swage a new braided hose section on your old hose hardware. IIRC hose is AN16 size. Google "hydraulic hose repair Toronto" and quite a few shops come up. C&C in Scarborough is first one on the search list.

On my 550 the leak was not from the braided hose. It was a pin hole on the aluminum tube section from corrosion. Any competent TIG welding shop can weld over the pin hole and fix that easily. Costed me only $30.

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Eurospares are listing a used one or you take it to the local hydraulic hose shop- they will remove the fittings and swage them onto a new hose

5. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Thanks guys, in Toronto its seams to be more of not wanting to do this small job.
    As apposed to not capable of doing the job!

I am still searching locally as well, thanks for the actual hose type and size this helps

6. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Race shops that deal with Aeroquip braided hose and AN fittings may also be able to help you.

7. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    These notes from another forum member and further provided by Taz.
    Bill
    FL

"contact at Goodridge, USA was:
    John Crnich
    (704) 662-9095
    174 Gasoline Alley
    Mooresville‎ NC‎ 28117"

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bill- That is the one, except I hear John is not longer the point man. Those folks provided a 575M owner a complete set of F1 hoses, SS wrapped, for $140. They are $550-900 each from Ferrari.

9. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Gentlemen Thank You for all the posts!
    I will make some calls see if anyone can help, would pref to use my current fittings and simply have a braided line swagged/crimped in place.
    Best
    Ron

10. maranello72

maranello72 Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2009
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    In my case the leak was coming from the crimped end near the oil tank. The crimped section was therefore put under a press and tightened by 1mm. All is well now!

Stefano

11. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    #12 Canuck550, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2017
    Quick Update on Hose Leak:

The hose fittings are NON STANDARD
    Would appear Ferrari has used several fittings over the years and these issues have been encountered by several forum members

The hose in question is 168328 the original hose launched with 550 and replaced sometime in production, seems to be at 575 launch with 180811.
    Both are not available for new purchase today

The 550 hose 168328, one time use ferrule, that is screwed onto the fitting and crimped to the hose using an M20 x 1 Metric thread this is a very fine thread which is nonstandard.
    In addition, there are no barbs on the fitting holding the hose in place, it must be threaded and crimped...
    And finally the hose fitting end is again nonstandard thread M30 x 1 fine metric threads

As mentioned, this hose 168328 was replaced with 180811 at launch of 575, it’s a direct fit replacement with fully swagged / crimped ends and the inner fitting has barbs to hold in place, a total rebuild able hose!

Options to repair

1) Re-crimp 168328 hose - failed for me
    2) switch to standard AN fittings across the entire, hose fittings and couplings in sump / tank - need to find out what threads are in sump and tank to see if works - A PITA
    3) custom make new ferrule for the 168328 hose and re-crimp on fittings - Custom stuff and expensive

My Solution was to buy a used 180811, 575 hose, with the crimped ends that is rebuild able and have it rebuild at my local shop, direct fit and new hose, to eliminate any issues

Hope this helps everyone and saves you time and aggravation
    It was rocket science figuring this stuff out as this hose 168328 has nonstandard fittings and ferrules a total PITA

Ron

12. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    Yes i understand, i recently had to purchase a new one from ferrari, after paying $1000 just for the hose my mechanic smiled and said "it's one of four"
    Uuugghh.

13. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Those M30x1 threads are used on Porsches, and because of their rarity, the fittings have become known as "Porsche oil fittings".

Pegasus carry the M30 Porsche to AN adapters, and Pelican Parts probably do too. Not sure about the M20x1 fittings.

14. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Thanks John
    I was referred to a couple Porsche performance shops and unfortunately they were not very helpful as well.
    Ron

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The early style were a terrible design and destined to fail. Converting to a barbed hose end is a far better solution.

16. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Brian
    so true
    I cannot go wrong with a barbed rebuildable hose

17. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    Why would you just not order one from eurospares?

18. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Quick update
    Leak fixed
    Went with the 575 upgrade hose witch was bought used and it has standard ferrules and the same metric fittings.Both the 550 and 575 hose are NLA from Ferrari

The old 550 hose was not rebuild-able, due to the screw on and crimped non standard metric ferrules. In addition to the lack of barbs to fit the hose on the fittings!

Fluid line is the place where I took the old 550 and we discovered the issue when we went to rebuild the hose!

In a nutshell not all Ferrari hoses are standard!

19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I saw Eurospares had a used 575 hose. Wonder if SRI might be interested in making one since they are NLA? Even the used ones are expensive.