550's Euro versus US versions | FerrariChat

550's Euro versus US versions

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by luca's308gts, Feb 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luca's308gts

luca's308gts Karting

Dec 16, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I'm looking for a little help/info; I recently sold my '84 308 (after 29 years) and am now planning on moving to a 550. While I know the differences and advantages of Euro vs US 308s, I have no knowledge of the differences with 550s. I've seen some posts that suggest the Euro should sell for 10%-20% less than the US spec car - but why. Aside from that which is done for Federalization are there any mechanical differences?
    Thanks

2. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    From what I understand there are no major differences. There were different interior colours available in certain markets I believe. The only noticeable difference is the side markers. The European and Japanese cars had them, North American cars didn't.

My car is from Japan. I'd rather save the 20% and put that towards maintenance and fuel. :)

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Look at Ricambi's site and go through the parts catalog for the 550 and you will see those parts noted for US and rest of world 550s. Things like Motronic ECUs, fuel cooling systems on late US models, etc, in addition to the obvious lighting differences.

4. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Yeah, but does Ricambi sell those Euro parts at 10-20% discount/ price penalty?

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, Chatters get a 10% discount from FChat. Otherwise, your joke is lost on me.

6. luca's308gts

luca's308gts Karting

Dec 16, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks for the info (and yes it appears some Euro part prices are less than US)

7. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    Instrumentation is normally metric on Euro cars also.

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i think he was alluding to the discount since euro cars trade at a discount... ???

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Henry- I know.

10. luca's308gts

luca's308gts Karting

Dec 16, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Since you guys seem to know 550s pretty well I've got another question for you; in my search I've seen 2-3 550s that have had their intake manifolds replaced - was this an early problem solved under warranty or is it just a periodic problem able to pop up any time? Thanks

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The early intake manifold gaskets on the Maranellos were pretty flimsy and tended to wear out quickly, sometimes leaking air and sometimes even sucking pieces of the gasket down the intake. Later ones had a metal center surrounded by plastic or rubber that were much more sturdy. The very low torque on the manifold bolts also tended to make manifolds more prone to leaks, especially with the flimsy, early gaskets.

So I have not seen anything on the manifold itself needing to be replaced, but many maintenance items call for the manifold to be removed (plenum hoses, cam cover removal, etc).

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There was a TSB on taking the manifold apart and replacing the air horns. On the early cars they fell out and rolled around inside. Never heard of replacing a manifold.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- I do remember that one, thanks.

14. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    Yep, happened to mine. Ben Salerno caught it and fixed it.

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I owned both federalized euro and USA 550's at the same time in cali. The differences as I remember minor evap container euro has 2 usa 1, euro side lights by doors, euro had foglight switch for rear fog light, usa no foglight and blank switch on dash. Everything else was the same including what it took and parts it took to do majors. All parts were interchangeable and available in USA. Part of federalization was gauge changes like speedo. Mine had basically usa guages. Some of the euro cars will still have DRL's or headlights running as required in some euro places and canada. Smog wise they were both a breeze even in California...