Possible to upgrade an F1 575 to a DCT? | FerrariChat

Possible to upgrade an F1 575 to a DCT?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by toggie, Feb 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Just curious, is it possible to replace the F1 transmission in a 575M with a modern 7-speed DCT (dual clutch transmission)?

For example, could an F12 DCT be fitted to a 575M?

The car's interior controls would stay the same (paddle shifters, reverse button, etc.).

I realize DCT units are expensive right now, but I'm thinking their prices will continue to adjust downward as the technology becomes commonplace in lots of types of cars.

Could upgrading to a DCT become a common performance mod for the 575 cars?

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Anything is possible. It would be an expensive undertaking and would require a lot of reengineering of the structure of the rear of the car.

Buy a car that already has it.

3. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Agree.

I just wonder if it is a potential new business opportunity.
    That is, to develop DCT upgrade kits.

Imagine if you had DCT kits for the old F1 version of the 355's and 360's.
    And it would make a great upgrade for the 430's.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The degree of modification required to structure etc puts whoever performs the modification in for a lot of liability should anyone so much as stub their toe in an accident. You get rear ended and your daughter is hurt, I have no interest in defending myself from that. If the fuel tank is ruptured and catches fire? You know anyone who wants that liability? Do you think the mod would ever be crash tested?

Probably a million dollar undertaking for unit one so it could be destroyed by a crash testing lab. How many will ever be sold to amortize that?

5. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    IMO, this would never be possible. The guys who have F1 F355's seem to like them the way they are.

So, take the few that would want to change to DCT, what would it cost? 50k? More?

It would probably be easier to swap in an entire 458 engine/trans than just convert the trans.

Agreed with Rifledriver, you want dct buy a car that came with it.

6. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Well, that does throw some serious cold water on the idea, doesn't it.
    I hadn't factored in the potential legal liability side of it.

7. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    #7 MogulBoy, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    I would have thought that a contemporary DCT box would simply take character away from the driving experience and it would certainly require considerable electronic development to successfully integrate it.

A competition-derived sequential 'box may be easier to integrate and potentially a whole lot more fun too (certainly on track, but possibly not entirely suitable for the road).

The Piero Nappi car appears to run a sequential transmission and it may be for sale...

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/80172/2003-ferrari-550-maranello-gt1

..but the Prodrive 550 GTS would appear to have had an Xtrac 6-speed H pattern 'box according to this source.

italiaspeed.com: the Italian Automotive news information portal for information on the Prodrive Ferrari 550 Maranello

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Possible? Yes. Worth it? Probably not considering the alternative.

575M box and 599 are nearly the same as far as I know. 599 has a double plate clutch vs the single on the Maranello's, and lighter flywheel too. Obviously different software too. Change these parts to the ones of a 599 GTB HGTE and you should be able to have 80ms shift too. The 599 GTO had a lighter (in respect to 599 GTB/HGTE, I'm unsure of the Maranello's but wouldn't be surprised) rotational assembly (this includes crank/conrods/pistons), which helps to get the 60ms shift (if it's absolutely necessary, I don't know).

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    A sequential transmission would be horrible, absolutely horrible on the road IMO. They're incredible loud because of the straight cut gears, even special ordered with helical gears I really wouldn't like it.