456GT parts car | FerrariChat

456GT parts car

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by asgor, Feb 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
  2. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    obviously you dont feel its worth repairing...?

3. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    #3 asgor, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Who knows... without even seeing it in person I don't know how I feel about it at all. I doubt, however, the damage is limited to the rear quarter panel: just by looking at the low res images it is clear that the hood is resting with a large, uneven gap on the driver side - just to name one thing.

And yeah, I am sure that a Ferrari 456GT is "low on their list of car to restore" (as they claim in their description): they are obviously giving precedence to the various Honda Accords and Chevy Cavaliers visible in their lot. Pfft, not like it's a car that would attract a crowd!

If it smells fishy... it probably is fish!

4. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
    It will be interesting to see how
    it plays out on eBay with the
    two experienced bidders.

Salvage Title !

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Those pics are from the insurance auction lot where the car was previously. It's at their shop now (wherever that is). I inquired about this car when I saw it in the background of an Aston Martin ebay listing they ran a month ago. They seem to be some sort of shop that regularly buys cars in this condition, shines them up and resells them.

Unknown (yet to be diagnosed) reasons why the car is not running has potential to be big $ for the wrong buyer. But for the right buyer (experienced in this sort of condition car) could be a savable car to be used and enjoyed in the future. With a branded title it will always be worth about 25-30% less than a similar car with clean title so key is getting it back together and staying in the right $ window.

6. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009

7. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    I was reading recently in a foreign publication how - given the increasing difficulty to source replacement parts for older models - parting out Ferrari vehicles is, under certain circumstances, now generating greater profits for their owners than trying to sell them whole.

Obviously a "salvage title" car is a better candidate for this scheme than any with a "clean title" but with, for instance, a simple seat motor potentiometer commanding hundreds of dollars or a window ECU recently available on this site for $1500 it is easy to see how acquiring this car in the high 20K - low 30K with the intention of parting it out could be a smart investment.

8. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
  9. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Awwww, now you made me feel guilty!

But I can add that I have only purchased brand new genuine Ferrari spares from them, and from Superformance UK as well. :D

I have a soft heart. I can not hurt a car. I would try to restore every one of them. :)

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

Ps. This used to happen to E-type 2+2's and Ferrari 250 GT/E's and 330&365 2+2's, they became "donors" for "more valuable cars" and lost many of their parts. Of course in today's world, most of those have been "rescued" or bought as restoration projects, and if you don't mind me saying it loud: not one minute too soon! Live and let live.