456 Interior | FerrariChat

456 Interior

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by cls, Feb 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I decided to send my seats out to be recovered. Topsonline did a great job with my 308, so I asked Vic if he could make covers for a 456GT. When I brought him the seats, he asked me if I could bring him the rest of the interior so he could make patterns. I pulled the rest (minus headliner) and dropped it off to him. In the next couple of weeks, anyone who needs interior parts for the 456GT will have an option.
    He is making patterns for: front seats, center console, rear seats, rear side armrests, rear headrests, rear console, back shelf, and door panels.

2. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for the extra effort. Always appreciated!!

3. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I took the opportunity to devise a radio upgrade in the mean time, so the extra effort was minimal. Vic is such a nice guy, I'll be glad if he gets the business, and since he does great work, all owners of the 456 (pre M) benefit. I keep seeing tired interiors on the 456 cars for sale (I haven't seen one right yet,) if these cars keep increasing in value, recovering the interior will make more and more sense.

4. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Great, please do send pictures.

What leather will he be using?

Any indication on the price range?

5. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't know which leather, but the books they have are the same as GAHH, and the samples look the same as those I received from World Upholstery.

Vic tells the the price will be similar to my 308, although these seats are much more complicated from what I can see, so I am not entirely sure yet.

6. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    tell us of your radio upgrade.

7. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #7 cls, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The radio upgrade has been done before, but I'm taking the time to come up with a system.
    It's an Alpine detachable face head unit. At Pacparts.com they sell connectors for the face and head, those are soldered to a ribbon cable. I am 3D printing a faceplate adapter for the font console and a mount for the factory trunk mount to replace the CD changer.

It's wired up and working, I'm about to trace the factory wiring for hookup in the trunk and I'm waiting for my 3D printed parts to arrive.

The end result will have bluetooth, USB, and Sirius XM, and be completely non destructive so it can be returned to stock.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. FlyingHaggisRacing

Jul 2, 2013
    Given the distance between the face unit and the boot, do you find the ribbon cable to be reliable.
    Would something like Cat6 LAN cable not be a better option ?

9. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    By reliable, do you mean shielding?

10. FlyingHaggisRacing

Jul 2, 2013
    Yes.
    Assume a few of the lines are serial data+clock for the LCD display.
    The drivers in the main unit may not have been chosen expecting to drive 3meters of ribbon cable.

11. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My understanding of CAT6 cable, is the shielding works because serial data is passed in pairs through twisted wires. In this case I don't see an advantage because the data will not be passed in pairs. -i.e. I cannot identify the pin out for serial pairs.

12. FlyingHaggisRacing

Jul 2, 2013
    I haven't had time to test this myself - was to busy finishing the 360 rebuild.
    Which is why i ask the question. Have the radio sitting ready to go and all that.

Twisted pair works because of the differential signal sent on each line.
    2 wires for TX, and 2 for RX.
    any noise will affect both wires the same and then be cancelled out by the op-amp at the end.

shielding
    assuming ground at one end. it's attempting to absorb the energy such that it doesn't then induce noise into the signal wires.

I think the shielding is the more applicable feature for this solution, but if it happily works with just ribbon cable - then great - lets keep it simple.

13. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Perhaps we're saying the same thing, but here's my understanding of TP and we can extrapolate from this why I don't think it will work as intended:

From Wikipedia: Twisted pair cabling is a type of wiring in which two conductors of a single circuit are twisted together for the purposes of canceling out electromagnetic interference (EMI) from external sources...One pair can induce crosstalk in another and it is additive along the length of the cable. Twisting the pairs counters this effect as on each half twist the wire nearest to the noise-source is exchanged.

Meaning a TP cable won't work in this application unless I can identify the pin out to create data pairs. It's also inherently a longer cable for the same run distance - meaning the twist is longer than a straight run.

For those reasons, I don't think TP has any benefit other than it's easier to run from front to back, especially through the trunk grommet.

As far as the ribbon cable goes, I have tested it outside the car and functions work, but that may change once I hook up to speakers.

Now to tone out the wires. I'll post a diagram of the colors in the trunk and at speaker locations when complete.

14. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #14 cls, Feb 24, 2017
  15. Flint Ironstag

Flint Ironstag Karting

Jun 30, 2013
    Houston, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Harris
    Chris, the substrate for the 3d printed faceplate - did you research the material properties?

- will it hold up in an automotive environment
    - how is the fit
    - will you need to paint the surface to match the interior

Being able to print replacement parts will be a huge boon for us old car guys.

16. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I am printing in "strong and flexible plastic" in black, on Shapeways. It will have a rough texture. There's not much of the bezel visible, so I'm not going to paint mine, but it's an option if you want to do so. If you're going to paint, then print it in smooth white.
    I don't see why it won't hold up, I have printed parts for my 308, 246 and California.

Fit hasn't been tested yet, I'm waiting to receive it.

I am working on an adapter to replace the CD player with the Alpine head in the trunk next.

17. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #17 cls, Mar 2, 2017
  18. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If anyone is interested in these radio parts, note that I made these for the Alpine UTE 62-BT, I have no idea what other faceplates might fit.
    The texture is a slightly rough black, I'll update the shapeways store for other materials in case you want to prep and paint an adapter.

19. FlyingHaggisRacing

Jul 2, 2013
    I just purchased one :)

20. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #20 cls, Mar 5, 2017
    Fabulous.

I have these for the trunk too for mounting in the CD changer position. You will need some 12-15mm long x 5mm machine screws. The lower hole is in the wrong position, but I may not fix it.
    TBH Shapeways charges a lot for these, which should be easy to fabricate, but I didn't want the hassle.
    I thought ahead on the faceplate and made a little shelf so the connector stays seated. On the trunk side, I couldn't get shapeways to print a part wide enough, so I used a piece of foam to make sure the connector stays attached.
    I also am installing satellite radio (one of the reasons I chose the Alpine) and plan on installing the antenna on the rear brake light.

21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chris- Do not powdercoat, send to one of the two Sticky guys, Robbie or Dave, and they can put an impervious factory looking finish on it.

22. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #22 cls, Mar 5, 2017
    Taz,

Dave told me that it would be $1000-2000 to refinish the two pieces. So I am working locally instead.

I believe the factory part is in fact powder coated. FWIW I have quite a bit of experience in finishing having owned and run a custom furniture shop that used all kinds of finishes from lacquer, to 2k Urethane, to polyester and powdercoating on various substrates. Short of powdercoating, I don't know what the refinishers could use that would be as durable as the factory finish. They're welcome to chime in if they want.

Done properly, powdercoating can be a very high end finish (not what most people imagine when they think of a powdercoat finish.) The two pieces are steel, so if it doesn't turn out like I hope, I will revisit.

Tiger Drylac makes a powder that is almost an exact match from sample. Because the plastic buttons don't match the metal exactly, I think the result will be as good as factory.

23. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #23 Dave rocks, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Chris, I can 99% guarantee the factory parts are not powder coated. You can't powder coat a plastic part such as the dials and buttons of the HVAC panel. As I told you in email, our coatings are very specialized and are the proper low gloss. What we offer is not available to body shop guys. As I also explained, we would need a custom match, hence part of the cost. We won't be doing any substantial volume of this color so I'm not willing at this time to absorb the development cost.

And, we strip parts bare. With metal parts we epoxy prime. It's a very time consuming process.

With respect, we could nail this 100% perfect but it's a deviation from the normal process and that comes at a cost.

FYI - many of these parts need filler for flaws - in case you don't know - that's not an option with powder coating.

Note: I also stated I would need the parts in hand to evaluate so my estimate was a total ballpark.

My best,

Dave

24. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just the two steel parts are powdercoated and that's all I am refinishing. Ferrari may have used a different process, although the OEM finish is very hard like a powdercoat. Regardless, if powder coating works on these parts, it's an excellent solution.

The plastic does not exactly match the steel and undoubtedly a different process.

25. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Chris, as I explained, I doubt it's power coat. If it was, you probably would not even need to refinish. I don't know your goals but getting an exact match (color, sheen, texture) with powder coating will be a challenge to say the least. If the base metal parts have any damage, you can't fill with powder coating.

Our coating are very hard and they are not powder coats.

For us, the plastic and steel would be the same coating and match exactly.