Sound of the Cold Air Start system | FerrariChat

Sound of the Cold Air Start system

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Laserguru, Feb 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I just got my 03 456M GT. Finally have made it through all the registration, state inspection, insurance cert, etc., etc., processes and now actually have a car.

I noticed today (note: absolute all time record setting warm temps in New England....everybodies toys are coming out to play this weekend) that on start, there was a somewhat high pitched whine that went away as soon as there was any appreciable engine temp. Having had much joy with other auxiliary air pump systems both on BMW M3 and Porsche Cayman, I wonder if I am hearing the cold start air pump.

Any feedback greatly appreciated. I am also assuming that the system would be similar if not identical on 550 & 575s.

Thanks in advance....this place is a fabulous resource.

2. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I would think so. My 550 does the same thing, until I am just leaving the neighborhood and then shuts off. :)

3. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It had all the characteristics in sound and duration. Thanks for the confirmation.

4. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Yup, that's definitely the secondary air

5. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Can this system be defeated without issue? Its a bit annoying. I do use it as a barometer to know when the car is ready to drive though... :)

6. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    Anything you did to defeat it would almost certainly result in a check engine light. Leave it alone - it doesn't hurt anything and gets the cats up to temp quicker.

7. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I wouldn't recommend disabling the aux air pump system. When the pumped failed on my older 97 E36 M3, cold start was really painful. The engine really wanted that extra air. She'd spin, catch, and fire. But then she stuttered, coughed, *****ed, and moaned until there was enough heat that the air system would have kicked out. New pump resulted in all symptoms disappearing immediately.

Perhaps others here with more experience on this family of V-12's can inform if the difference would be equally dramatic, but the S-52 single vanos was seriously unhappy without it.

8. maranello72

maranello72 Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2009
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    Eric, the secondary air is not fed to the engine, but to the exhaust, just as it leaves the engine. This is done because cold starts require a rich mixture, which means uncombusted fuel is left in the exhaust. As the mixture of uncombusted fuel and secondary air reaches the catalyst, it reacts. This helps heating up the catalyst quickly, and reduces the amount of unburnt hydrocarbons which would otherwise be dumped in the environment.

If you disable the secondary air system you'll pollute more but the engine will run just as well. On European models the CEL should not even be triggered.

Stefano

9. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Stefano, I agree on the purpose of the cold start air pump in terms of emissions, however, I cut and pasted these diagnostic symptoms of an air pump failure from a mechanic site. The failure of the pump does have influence on the engine performance, particularly the rough running, stumbling, and stalling. I have experienced all of these with the pump failure on my M3.

1. Engine is running rough

One of the first symptoms of a bad or failing smog pump is a rough running engine. When a smog pump fails the finely tuned air-fuel ratios can be upset, and it will negatively affect the performance of the engine. The engine may have trouble idling, and may drop in engine speed, or stall when the pedal is pressed. Temp sensors plus the flow rate of the air pump are data inputs to the fuel injection ECU.

2. Reduced horsepower

Another common symptom of a bad air pump is a reduction in power output from the engine. Again, a failed smog pump can upset the tune of the vehicle, which will negatively impact overall engine performance. A failed air pump may cause the engine to hesitate or stumble on acceleration, and in more serious cases, cause a noticeable reduction in total power output.

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I could have sworn this conversation was about a Ferrari.

The answer was already given. No negative running effect.

11. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Hmm, I cheerfully bow to the more knowledgeable than I.

As a new owner of one of these V-12s, I am becoming more familiar with the car, the engine, and all of its sub-systems. Generally, one extrapolates from existing knowledge and thus my experiences with other air pump systems.

So, the assertion is that the Motronic 5.2 ECU does not "see" this pump as an input to the air/fuel map? I would be quite happy with that as the operating mode since the other experiences make that system actually rather critical to cold start and if it fails, a supreme PITA in New England winter.

Thanks for pitching in, Rifledriver.

12. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Comparison of the Motronic 5.2 ECU input parameters

http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/media/catalog_resources/ECU_MS_52pdf.pdf

to those of the Bosch DME ECU for the M3 makes much of this clearer.

The measured input value set are substantially similar but the DME unit also expects a number of other parameters (MAF, Exhaust backpressure, and others) that indicate how the use of the air pump would modify the fuel/air map.

The Motronic is actually a bit simpler on the engine side, and quite more complex on the stability control side.

13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Leave it original. The car sounds more refined and exclusive with that extra little sound....

14. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Curious. I never intended nor do I think I indicated that I would make any changes. Merely wished to understand if that was the sound of the air pump system on these cars.

It's my intent to keep this beast as close to OEM as possible. A few thoughtful fixes to well identified issues and/or weak spots, but I have other cars if I want to play tuner games.

I like this one just the way she is.